Sign in to follow this  
Flesh Wound

Digging up a rifle buried for more than 1 year.

Video (10m 43s)

Edited by Flesh Wound
  • Like 1

Only able to glance through it here at work but looks interesting. He definitely had it wrapped well. I think that is key.

Nice. I might have put in some desicant packs in my part of the world. Wonder hot it would have held up here?

Nice. I might have put in some desicant packs in my part of the world. Wonder hot it would have held up here?

That's a good question. If you look at the earth as he digs it's very dry. And in another video he mentions him bing in the desert in Oregon.

Depends on where you live. Here in the Piney Woods of SE Texas where we have monsoons, I would probably have used PVC Pipe. Plus you would have to scout for dry spots as some places get submerged around here.

preppers.....

preppers.....

Prepping for what? If you need to bury it, it's time to use it.

• Like 2

What's the point?

Actually normally its a bug out prep both close to home and far away. Kind of run off without a gun need a gun to supplies along a route from home to bugout location. That said, it would probably shock you how many thing after some sort of crisis, they can just stroll down the road with a rifle.

Its not something I recommend during my years on survival boards because of what if some kid finds it. If you can have a marker to find a stash,, someone else can notice it. Obviously not on my board or he'd know to bury a stash where people would find it very difficult to walk like the side of a hill etc.

Anyway they stash all sorts of stuff, food mostly. Its what led to the sport of Geo Catching where somebody buries something and gives a GPS coordinate and others find it.

BTW, Most popular methods are PVC pipes with end caps.

Tj

Depends on where you live. Here in the Piney Woods of SE Texas where we have monsoons, I would probably have used PVC Pipe. Plus you would have to scout for dry spots as some places get submerged around here.

I'd probably use the PVC pipe, desiccant packs for moisture, and throw in one of those 50 cent hand warmers to deplete all the oxygen in the pipe to prevent corrosion and oxidation.

Nice. I might have put in some desiccant packs in my part of the world. Wonder hot it would have held up here?

I can't be sure, but looking at the ecosystem around him that does not look like an environment

that gets a lot of rainfall. It might get a decent amount of snow, but that is even harder to tell.

My bottom lime is if you are going to take the time and trouble to bury a firearm and ammo

underground as part of a survival strategy, I don't think it would have cost a lot more,

nor taken a lot of extra time to seal everything up better than the adhesive on the end of a

mylar bag. That's really what everything was counting on, the adhesive on the end of that bag,

and nothing puncturing the bag. I can assure you if I dug up a rifle on my high ground

the soil would not be as dry as desert sand, like his soil was. I don't see the point in doing

the minimum needed, unless you are playing firearm Easter Bunny, and planting

multiple guns all over the county, region, or country, so that you need to save money and time...

If you have to do it in a hurry, even though the whole idea is to do it at your convenience, then

I would say his mylar bag is an expedient choice that worked in his environment.

Good for him !

I can't be sure, but looking at the ecosystem around him that does not look like an environment

that gets a lot of rainfall. It might get a decent amount of snow, but that is even harder to tell.

My bottom lime is if you are going to take the time and trouble to bury a firearm and ammo

underground as part of a survival strategy, I don't think it would have cost a lot more,

nor taken a lot of extra time to seal everything up better than the adhesive on the end of a

mylar bag. That's really what everything was counting on, the adhesive on the end of that bag,

and nothing puncturing the bag. I can assure you if I dug up a rifle on my high ground

the soil would not be as dry as desert sand, like his soil was. I don't see the point in doing

the minimum needed, unless you are playing firearm Easter Bunny, and planting

multiple guns all over the county, region, or country, so that you need to save money and time...

If you have to do it in a hurry, even though the whole idea is to do it at your convenience, then

I would say his mylar bag is an expedient choice that worked in his environment.

Good for him !

I would also worry about rodents or other critters gnawing a hole through the bag.

I would also worry about rodents or other critters gnawing a hole through the bag.

No doubt.

I understand this was an experiment, so hopefully he would not be digging it up every year.

If you have this guy's mindset in the first place (nothing wrong with it)

I would not want to go out and keep diggin it up.

I would think the goal would be long term storage, so something hard, air and waterproof,

and packed with desiccant packs or maybe do the grease thing. However, I would want to avoid that if I could,

so the sealed dry container is critical. I don't see a mylar bag as suitable for long term underground storage.

I wonder if the bag-maker is one of his sponsors ?

I may not have the "right" mindset, but I am not big on burying weapons in the first place. I guess if you know you are going to be able to bug

out in a certain direction, it may come in handy if you are caught with your pants down, and must bug out without your "regular" weapons.

No doubt.

I understand this was an experiment, so hopefully he would not be digging it up every year.

If you have this guy's mindset in the first place (nothing wrong with it)

I would not want to go out and keep diggin it up.

I would think the goal would be long term storage, so something hard, air and waterproof,

and packed with desiccant packs or maybe do the grease thing. However, I would want to avoid that if I could,

so the sealed dry container is critical. I don't see a mylar bag as suitable for long term underground storage.

I wonder if the bag-maker is one of his sponsors ?

I may not have the "right" mindset, but I am not big on burying weapons in the first place. I guess if you know you are going to be able to bug

out in a certain direction, it may come in handy if you are caught with your pants down, and must bug out without your "regular" weapons.

True. And, why bury an actual rifle if just an experiment. I would just bury some similar metals. At least if they did rust/ruin it would not be a huge loss.

There was a good video I saw a couple years ago where some guy was testing corrosive resistance of various popular gun lubricants/protectents. He just used barrels, coated them in the products and put them in the sand in some beach cove. It was very interesting. If I recall CLP was one of the higher scores and was also one of the least expensive of products tested. Not been able to find that video to post.

I did find these though: