Rampy

Cheap Tires....Dont Do it.....Just DONT.........

Pirelli P Zero cheap ass tires are WORTHLESS........they do nothing very good except take your money and wear out.....

SRT 392 Charger, 15,686 miles, 6 month old P Zero tires, 1 burnout 10k miles ago.......

Went to dealer in town 150 miles away from us for 3rd oil change as its "free" but have not had a chance to get it. They tell us a tire is showing cord....and they can order in new stock tires & have them in 2-3 days....

Said hell no and we leave and go to the closest Discount Tire......now the area population is around 3mil people so one would ASSume you could find some tires......

No high performance summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4s in town as these were what I had planned on getting when the P Zero's wore out (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, #1 rated Canadian non studded snow tire for winter)

No High Performance summer tire of any brand other than the P Zero in the area that will fit.....can order and should get in Tuesday.......

Said to hell with it and left......drove about 15 miles and saw a brand new Discount tire & was like why not.....

They said the same thing about tires after looking for almost 30 min, but they also came up with a all season high performance tire at a different store somebody had ordered and never purchased.

So after some research, we ended up with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires......only major drawback I see is the are speed rated to 168

LC1nidl.jpg

v6MMdRY.jpg

Tires put on new cars are generally the least expensive the car maker can find. I try to buy the best I can as replacements when needed.

I'm sure that they're junk. That must be why they are standard equipment on the Ferrari 599 GTB, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT, Audi Quattro R8, and Mercedes S-Class AMG, just to name a few.

Only in America are performance tires judged solely on how long they last.

• Like 1

Nice set of onion skins! I too had bad luck with Pirelli many years ago on a Triumph. Went back to the OEM Michelins and what a change! Also had a set of stock size Michelins on my first Jeep XJ and were very durable and performed well on the road in all Colorado conditions. Off road...well...don't do it...just don't! (to coin a phrase)

Edited by xonlyj

Rotated and checked 5 times documented in Discount Tires's computer system.......

No idea what "often" means to you, tire pressure checked daily.........

Don't check your tires often?

Why is it tires come with a mileage warranty, 35k miles, 40k miles, 50k miles or whatever.....is that only in America......the P Zero is not listed, does not have millage, but the P Zero all season tire is rated for 40k miles.......

Audi Quatro R8, we raced one in the canyons and he could not beat us, it's a meh car....oh and by the way it actually had Continental tires on it....factory stock.....

Was told it's a soft compound, the heat of highway driving wears them out, they can not stand up to highway miles.....not to mention they are old technology, old rubber compounds they have not kept pace with the market of high performance tires and are considered "entry level" & even the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tire is heads and shoulders above the P Zero.....while the ones we gor will put last/preform them and the factory engine wil

I'm sure that they're junk. That must be why they are standard equipment on the Ferrari 599 GTB, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT, Audi Quattro R8, and Mercedes S-Class AMG, just to name a few.

Only in America are performance tires judged solely on how long they last.

We used to use Pirelli P1's on our Explorer's, and our old Crown Vics. They didn't get high miles, but they gripped pretty well in most weather. IIRC, we got about 20k out of a set. We've gone back to Goodyears, purchased on the state contract now. Good looking tire, grips like crazy, and seems to wear ok. I've got 5k on this set, and they don't look worn at all yet, something I can't say for the Pirelli tires we had been using.

Most high performance tires have a soft compound so they stick better. Even the standard equipment continentals on my SUV only lasted 32K even though I babied them. I replaced them with a set of Hancoocks and have 54k on them and they are going strong, I estimate I will get 60K to 65K before replacement. They handle great and perform fantastic in snow and on wet roads. I wish I found these earlier.

Edited by zoomy

Guess I'm at fault for thinking since they are 6 month old Pirelli P Zero tire's with under 16k miles they would like longer by around 5-10 thousand miles before needing replaced since they have bot been abused, raced or even push close to the car's spec.........

One would think a tire with the Pirelli name would not need to be babysit Have had 2 flat tires in that 6 months & have been overall disappointing in how this tire preformed both in daily driving, but on the speedway and on the mountain twisties

Aggravated center tread wear is an indication of over inflation.

Just sayin'......

• Like 1

Finding the balance between a rubber compound soft enough to give good traction, and hard enough to give high mileage is tough. Hard enough to get 50k, they probably won't grip as well as a soft compound that only gets 20k. Driving style also has a bunch to do with it. Our chief used to complain because she got 40k out of a set of tires, then wondered why swing shift patrol only got 20k. Explained that she might have one code run a month, when they were running and gunning every shift, often driving 20+ miles code 3 to a call.

One more time..... in 6 months, the tires had been rotated and balanced by Discount tire & pressure 5 times & set at 34 (cold) and that pressure was checked daily by TPMS.

Aggravated center tread wear is an indication of over inflation.

Just sayin'......

Edited by Rampy

The Pirelli P Zero is a soft tire compound. It is made for handling and not mileage. A softer tire will grip better but not last long. You did better then average on mileage for the tire. The new tires that you got, are a harder compound and last longer. It will not handle as well as the Pirelli tire. The Pirelli has a treadwear rating of 200 and the Continental has a rating of 560. The Continental should last twice as long. Depends on how you drive.

A long time ago, I had a very soft set of tires on my Vette. They were made more for racing then on the street. They lasted me about 5,000 miles before they were bald.

• Like 1

One more time..... in 6 months, the tires had been rotated and balanced by Discount tire & pressure 5 times & set at 34 (cold) and that pressure was checked daily by TPMS.

Correct pressures can't be spec'd. Tire dealers and TPMS can't properly set pressures. It's something that has to be done according to conditions, and/or to achieve a desired effect.

The car manufacturer and tire dealers chronically set pressures too high for better mileage on performance cars, but it's actually at your expense, because they won't wear well and they won't grip well either. The opposite is true for heavy carcass tires on heavy duty vehicles. On those they run them under inflated to make for a "nicer ride", and the result is poorer gas milage and aggravated outside tread wear.

Quit doing all those burnouts and they may last a little longer. :)

• Like 1