Charles2

In The Beginning...

Thank you for the warm welcome in the 'New Persons' post! As promised, here is the start of my first build of an AR 15.

Here are two MilSpec lowers:

(Let see if I can get the image posting right)

Two%2015%20Lowers%20Package2.jpg

Two%2015%20Lowers2.jpg[/url]

Two%2015%20LowersTnB2.jpg[/url]

• Like 1

And here is the fire control group and lower receiver hardware:

Lower%20Trigger%20Group%20and%20Hardware[/url]

Lower%20Trigger%20Group%20and%20Hardware[/url]

My first build will be with inexpensive parts.

Question: MilSpec is MilSpec so is there really any difference in different lowers? An expensive lower isn't going to make it perform any better than a inexpensive lower is it?

My first build will be with inexpensive parts.

Question: MilSpec is MilSpec so is there really any difference in different lowers? An expensive lower isn't going to make it perform any better than a inexpensive lower is it?

No matter who makes them there can be small tolerance differences in parts. Don't sweat it just yet. When they are completed you want everything to work together.....the magazines should drop freely, ammo should feed properly, etc. Any maker can have a bad day and get tooling off a tad. Different brands hold those tolerances to higher or lower standards. I have two lowers that won't run certain magazines because of tolerance issues.....but they run flawlessly with others. It may be the lower itself or it could be an issue in the parts kits. Every individual part has a tolerance....stack up the fat ones and things get tight, get all skinny one's and things go the other way.

You have milspec 80% lowers....they will only be as good as you make them. You mess up your end you will have milspec paper weights. :tiphat:

• Like 1

You have milspec 80% lowers....they will only be as good as you make them. You mess up your end you will have milspec paper weights. :tiphat:

Thanks for the input towtruck! That's why I got two. They were cheap! If I mess up on the first one, the second should be good. If both turn out good, then I'll have two lowers to build on. :)

Thanks for the input towtruck! That's why I got two. They were cheap! If I mess up on the first one, the second should be good. If both turn out good, then I'll have two lowers to build on. :)

Get a good jig, get good bits, follow the directions to the letter, don't use a drill press, and go slow......there is no reason to mess up any of them.

• Like 1

You mean I shouldn't just use my hand drill and Dremel tool? :tongue: Just kidding. I have an 80% Arms Gen2 jig. They seem to be really nice but i need to remember to go slow.

Edited by Charles2

Here is the Easy Jig Gen 2 from 80% Arms. It is suppose to be one of the best. It will do AR9, AR15 and AR10 and it seems to be well designed and build:

Easy%20Jig%20Gen%202%20Top.jpg

Easy%20Jig%20Gen%202%20Side.jpg[/url]

Easy%20Jig%20Gen%202%20Bottom.jpg[/url]

Has anyone used them?

Edited by Charles2

Never used one like that. It does look like a good jig.

Welcome on this side as well! Looks like you are off to a good start, the jig looks to be high quality. Keep us posted and if you have any questions we are here for you.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Haven't been able to do much this long weekend with a lot of things going on. But I was able to drill the pilot hole in both the lowers.

First three pictures show the lower in the jig.

Easy%20Jig%20Gen%202%20Top%20with%20Lowe

Easy%20Jig%20Gen%202%20Bottom%20with%20L

Easy%20Jig%20Gen%202%20Side%20with%20Low

The last shows one lower pilot hole drilled and the other ready to drill.

Easy%20Jig%20Gen%202%20with%20Lower%20in

Some more progress this week. Got both lowers milled out in the 80% Lowers Gen 2 jig. I used a Mikita compact router to mill out the fire control area. The jig has set depth increments for advancing the mill bit about a millimeter at a time. These lowers are 7075 billet aluminum, so it was suggested to use half a millimeter increments. Used some tap magic at each depth and cleaned the chips. The first lower took about an hour since I was being real careful. The second only took about 30 minutes. I got the extra drill guides in case I needed to hand drill the Safety and trigger pin holes and tried them out. Worked really well. Here are some pictures.

In the jig and milling with the Mikita:

Lower%20in%20Jig%20n%20Milling.jpg

Finished milling:

Lower%20Milled%20in%20Jig.jpg

Finished milled and drilled lowers:

Lower%20Milled%20side.jpg

Ready to start assembling lower:

Lower%20in%20vise.jpg

The whole process was really easy with this jig.

More to follow.

Welcome to the board, Sir.

This is already one of the best intro threads I've seen,

because you are documenting the 80% lower and the rest of the build.

I look forward to following your progress on the build, and thanks for all the pics.

It might be nice to give the brands of some things, and no matter if they work well, or work poorly,

it is simply additional information that I think would be nice to have.

Have fun ! (Like I need to tell you that)

John

Looks like you're off to a good start!