bamashooter

Smaller Diameter Rear Sight Aperture (Peep) Swap?

Anyone swapped to a smaller diameter "peep" on the rear due to having a shorter (16" and less) barrel (sight radius)? Or for any other reason I reckon? Results? My primary concern is reacquisition of a target or engaging multiple targets. Thanks.

I like them big. you eye naturally centers the front post in the rear aperture.

On my old .308, I used to unscrew the aperture and use the fitting os the ghost ring.

Of course for me they are for social work, not trying to get really good groups.

That rear flip up sight on sale at Brownells had an aperture size in between large and small FWIW.

• Like 2

That rear flip up sight on sale at Brownells had an aperture size in between large and small FWIW.

Dead on Brother...

vUKsUNx.jpg

This is the sight I just got in that Brownell's still has on sale.

You have minimal obstruction on the peripherals with this type of sight.

Knights Armament and Ma-Tech make similar sights with elevation at a premium price.

Unfortunately I got rained out yesterday and did not get a chance to try the Brownell's sight yet.

Thanks,

Glenn

Edited by geepee3

geepee3, on 03 Sept 2018 - 2:17 PM, said:

Dead on Brother...

vUKsUNx.jpg

This is the sight I just got in that Brownell's still has on sale.

You have minimal obstruction on the peripherals with this type of sight.

Knights Armament and Ma-Tech make similar sights with elevation at a premium price.

Unfortunately I got rained out yesterday and did not get a chance to try the Brownell's sight yet.

Thanks,

Glenn

That sight reminds me a lot of a Ma-Tech w/o the elevation adjustment.

I have both a KAC and a Ma-Tech, and quite honestly I like the KAC best.

What John was talking about (removing the peep aperture altogether) used to be quite common.

On my old target gun I went in another direction....a selectable multi aperture peep similar to this one.

Lee_Shaver_MVA_Standard_Hadleys-595x311.

• Like 1

Scopes I am in the dark on.

"Peep" sights I have experience with. :)

I think ya'll aren't following me. Only the peep. At approx .070 focused on the front post, it'll be a bit fuzzy on a short sight radius. The hard sights were originally designed and sized for the radius of the 20" barrel, right With a narrower peep, for lack of a better term, it should "scrub" away some or all of that fuzz / blurr. Say .040 or a bit less. Pluses and minuses for sure but I'm speaking of targets at extended ranges (for a pistol / sbr) for me which translates to 25 meters and greater.

I believe you might be disappointed with a smaller aperture.

I have A1 style peep sights on a 16" .22 that I use regularly at 25-60 yards and I had to open up the size of the aperture. With the small hole the sights came with, they became all but unusable at any light level less than say... sunset.

I opened it up with a 7/64" drill bit and it was a major improvement for me. No noticeable loss in accuracy at 50yds, and I can now see a clear sight picture in low light conditions.

Just an observation based on my mileage.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks. I figured that with a smaller aperture that you'd have less light thus "bright" daylight would be optimal as compared to dusk. But I don't know. That's why I'm asking. Doubtful I go that way but when I do get the barrel, I'm gonna apply tape to the peep and try to bore as close as I can get a .040 opening to see (maybe see is too strong a word / lol) what happens. What I anticipate is an unacceptable delay in acquiring targets short of casual bench shooting, plinking, etc. But I have a contingency plan. :laugh:

Thanks. I figured that with a smaller aperture that you'd have less light thus "bright" daylight would be optimal as compared to dusk. But I don't know. That's why I'm asking. Doubtful I go that way but when I do get the barrel, I'm gonna apply tape to the peep and try to bore as close as I can get a .040 opening to see (maybe see is too strong a word / lol) what happens. What I anticipate is an unacceptable delay in acquiring targets short of casual bench shooting, plinking, etc. But I have a contingency plan. :laugh:

That’s funny you should mention that Bama. I was shooting my Garand last weekend and wishing it had a smaller rear peep sight. Then I thought about putting tape over the sight and trying different size holes in the tape.

• Like 1

That’s funny you should mention that Bama. I was shooting my Garand last weekend and wishing it had a smaller rear peep sight. Then I thought about putting tape over the sight and trying different size holes in the tape.

It is funny, I always thought the garand peep was too small. I started with the GI peep and then changed to a NM .052 hooded to shoot matches with. The smaller peep definitely messes with low light sight and target acquisition. I haven't shot matches in almost 30 years so went back to the GI peep and decided to go larger. I drilled that sucker out to 3/16" and love it.

I can't imagine fighting a war with the standard peep. Since much combat seems to happen at first light or last light and the time in between, the size of the issued peep really should have been larger in order to maximize low light shooting. JMHO.

I had a match rifle with a dial a peep and shot it pretty extensively using each different peep size. There honestly wasn't much difference in accuracy between them. If your front sight is fuzzy you are focusing on the target and not the sight. Focusing on the front sight will give you better accuracy on the target.

• Like 1

When I'm shooting at paper for accuracy, I generally keep my eye back away from the rear peep to make the hole appear smaller relative to the front sight.

I know it sounds kind of funny but I can center the front up better that way.

• Like 1

Depth of Field.

The smaller the aperture the greater the depth of field so the front sight and the target will be in better focus.

• Like 1

I think ya'll aren't following me. Only the peep. At approx .070 focused on the front post, it'll be a bit fuzzy on a short sight radius. The hard sights were originally designed and sized for the radius of the 20" barrel, right With a narrower peep, for lack of a better term, it should "scrub" away some or all of that fuzz / blurr. Say .040 or a bit less. Pluses and minuses for sure but I'm speaking of targets at extended ranges (for a pistol / sbr) for me which translates to 25 meters and greater.

Seriously, brother, I would train more with the larger aperture, or make it even larger...

Especially if you are talking about multiple targets. You have to give your brain the repetitions to naturally center that front post in the rear aperture.

If you are looking for speed in transitioning between multiple targets, you need a larger rear aperture, not a smaller one. The rear aperture should be "fuzzing out" anyway. After a while, you don't really notice the rear aperture, because you are focusing on that front post. Your brain does the centering for you without conscious effort with enough practice.

More rounds down range and trust your eyes. This geezer has been there and dome that.

You are going for good minute of bad guy groups are you not ?

If you are going for target groups I can see a smaller rear aperture, but for that type of target shooting you have more time, and they don't use multiple targets.

I say get a larger aperture, or drill that one out... If I still had that Williams peep sight where I unscrewed the largest aperture and used the fitting as the ghost ring,

I'd send it to you, but it went with the rifle. The whole idea is for the rear aperture to "disappear" . If it is not, that means you need bigger, not smaller....

With practice your eye WILL center that post in the rear aperture, no matter what the size, but you need a large aperture for fast shooting and multiple targets....

I have no doubt on this one, my friend.

John

• Like 1

I have large apertures down well enough is there is such a thing. Can always improve of course. Just wanting to get speed increased (primarily multi-targets) with mil-spec / even smaller peep. Lot of work but about anything worth doing well is. For some reason I have become unheathily fascinated by peep sights. Hopefully I can come back to reality but, it the mean time ............... :D: