xSmokey

Cutting Yourself...

Is it just me or is accidentally slicing yourself one of the best feelings? Especially if you're not sure if you did a good sharpening job, what else to assure you other than cutting yourself with the littlest amount of pressure.

It's just you.

I just go by feel of how well it wants to shave....how well it grabs hair without actually shaving my arm.

Is it just me or is accidentally slicing yourself one of the best feelings?

It's a symptom of something wrong with you. Seek professional help. I don't know enough about it, but it's been the subject of multiple studies over decades.

Personally, I hate having foreign objects violating my hide. And doing what I do for a living, I consider it a good day when nobody bleeds.

It's a symptom of something wrong with you. Seek professional help. I don't know enough about it, but it's been the subject of multiple studies over decades.

Personally, I hate having foreign objects violating my hide. And doing what I do for a living, I consider it a good day when nobody bleeds.

:laugh:

It's just you.

I just go by feel of how well it wants to shave....how well it grabs hair without actually shaving my arm.

This.

I have accidentally sliced myself on multiple occasions. Never once have I thought, "Wow, it has been too long since I knew my knife was that sharp. I miss that feeling."

Seek help.

Yeah, not so much. What the other guys said, talk to someone about that.

Yeah, not so much. What the other guys said, talk to someone about that.

:laugh:

I got told by a person that I made a knife for, that it was TOO sharp. I didnt know that was a thing.

I got told by a person that I made a knife for, that it was TOO sharp. I didnt know that was a thing.

Maybe if they're a klutz?

Then again, if that's the case, they probably shouldn't be owning a knife! :laugh:

It can be until someone gets used to using a really sharp knife again. I have a problem keeping knives sharp. I sharpen them, and then someone comes along and boogers up the edge, or dulls them without telling me. I wound up used to using semi-sharp kitchen knives, as I don't always have time to stop down and touch up a blade while I'm cooking, and it gets forgotten after dinner during dishes. Anyway, used to using those types of knives, I sharpened two of my good kitchen knives, beyond shaving sharp. I also sharpened the tips, something I rarely focus on as I do much more chopping then I use the tips of the blades. But the whole knife got sharpened. I then used them, and wound up stabbing myself in the wrist. Not deep enough to hurt anything, but deep enough to scare the crap out of me. I have a nice little scar from it, starting to fade a little now, but that was 6 months ago... Once I'm used to using a sharp knife again, I'm good to go, but it's careful consideration of a dangerous tool, and not becoming complacent.

One of the most satisfying feelings is after you have been chewed on by fleas and mosquitos , grab a sharp fish fillet knife and scrape up and down your legs and arms.

It feels so good. Like stropping a cut throat razor on a leather belt.

Got to be careful and focus , don't get too carried away in the moment or else its sushi legs for you. :D:

Is it just me or is accidentally slicing yourself one of the best feelings? Especially if you're not sure if you did a good sharpening job, what else to assure you other than cutting yourself with the littlest amount of pressure.

Aren't you glad you asked ? :laugh:

Welcome to the family !

It can be until someone gets used to using a really sharp knife again. I have a problem keeping knives sharp. I sharpen them, and then someone comes along and boogers up the edge, or dulls them without telling me. I wound up used to using semi-sharp kitchen knives, as I don't always have time to stop down and touch up a blade while I'm cooking, and it gets forgotten after dinner during dishes. Anyway, used to using those types of knives, I sharpened two of my good kitchen knives, beyond shaving sharp. I also sharpened the tips, something I rarely focus on as I do much more chopping then I use the tips of the blades. But the whole knife got sharpened. I then used them, and wound up stabbing myself in the wrist. Not deep enough to hurt anything, but deep enough to scare the crap out of me. I have a nice little scar from it, starting to fade a little now, but that was 6 months ago... Once I'm used to using a sharp knife again, I'm good to go, but it's careful consideration of a dangerous tool, and not becoming complacent.

Same here. I have gone to keeping "utility " knives out on the counter for anyone in the house to use. Then I have my "dont touch" knives for my use... but sometimes someone else will use one and bugger it up. So I have 3rd set of "personal" knives in a drawer that only I use. Everyone knows if they want to use these knives they best ask or there will be a stink about it. Finally I have my own "special" knives... good blue steel Japanese knives and soligen steel knives that I keep in a nice softwood sheathes inside a nice zippered soft case out of the kitchen area that I use when I really want to do something special.

I thought this was one of those “I slept with my neighbors goat and we’re getting married next week” drive by posts. Then I saw the OP post count and realized he was serious.

I was always taught to use a sharp instrument or tool properly and safely, without making yourself bleed.