Sign in to follow this  
Retcop

Matrix Arms FF Rail at Joe Bobs

54 bucks for the midlength M-Lok.

Thing holding me back is description says something about the

rail being "extruded", when I believe this should be a part that should be forged.

IDK.

It includes the barrel nut.

Has anybody used these?

Several of us have Matrix Arms rails, and I've never heard of any issues with them.

As for which is better, extruded vs forged, I don't believe that there are sufficient stresses on the rail to make a critical difference.

Here is some info on the processes, and the benefits associated with the various methods.

https://baforging.com/extrusion-vs-casting-vs-forging/

Several of us have Matrix Arms rails, and I've never heard of any issues with them.

As for which is better, extruded vs forged, I don't believe that there are sufficient stresses on the rail to make a critical difference.

Here is some info on the processes, and the benefits associated with the various methods.

https://baforging.com/extrusion-vs-casting-vs-forging/

Thanks, my friend.

This is the first time I am aware of running into extruded aluminum.

I really appreciate the info.

I am beginning to understand that it actually takes a lot more research to try and

put inexpensive parts on an AR than to just lay out the cash for what is proven quality.

I have a Matrix arms FF handguard on one of my rifles. I'd not hesitate to buy another.

I own several of them. Not light dainty rails. Unless you are planning to use your rifle as a blunt instrument it should work. The Forearms of M4s a combat rifle are made out of plastic.

Edited by gshayd

gshayd recommended Matrix a while back and I decided to give them a try. Glad I did. Believe I have 3 now.

Have one of these coming in from Mentium located in Houston, TX. Couldn't find what I wanted from Matrix for a AR10

https://www.mentium-usa.com/products/15-slim-keymod-free-float-handguard-for-308-rifle

Cool. Thanks.

It's apparent that I need a system to keep track of the positive reviews of these various items presented here

by people I trust.

John

John i have a matrix rail no issues and will buy another

Dpms have been making a extruded slick sided upper receiver for many years now so i doubt they are junk

http://www.dpmsinc.com/Flattop-Lo-Pro-Upper-Receiver_p_253.html

Dan

Edited by dfairclothrra

Thanks, everyone !

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an extrusion. It is just a different means of manufacturing that with correct alloy will be just as strong. Extrusions are made by pressing critically heated billets through a die to shape then re heat treated. If they get the heat treat right the quality of material pressed through will still result in a quality part.

Edited by hzhardy

Many items requiring strength are made from extruded aluminum, to include the barrier rails housed within automotive doors. Hell of a lot stronger than the old thinly stamped AK metal yet I don't recall seeing any of those busted to hell.

John, the aluminum housing of your Aimpoint pro is extruded aluminum.