redbarron06

Replacing my old wobbie

For decades, one of the favorite have to have items for USGIs around the world has been the poncho liner or more affectionally known as a "wobbie". I know folks including myself that when separating from the service cleaned out every bit of gear they owned except the woobie. I have used mine in sub zero weather in Germany to help insulate the old style mummy bags and used it just as a cover or top sheet in the heat of Iraq and AFG. I have also wrapped up in it while hunting out of a ground blind during deer season at home in TN. A lightweight blanket that is just a solid piece of gear when you need a little extra insulation to keep the chill off. That being said, when it gets really chilly its not enough to quite keep you warm.

Well its going on the shelf. While there will always be a special place for this $30 (back in 92 when I got mine at MCSS in Germany) item that has been around the world with me 3 times, has more combat time than some of the officers I know, and more field time than many of the younger NCOs I know, advancements have been made and its time to retire it.

Back in 06 in AFG I picked up a Merlin Softie sleeping bag by Snugpak at the British PX. Stuffing down to about 1/4 of the size of the USGI sleeping bag I can say I have been very pleased with it with one exception, I hate mummy bags. I sleep on my side a lot and do a lot of turning and tossing and my feet get hot quick with no way to move them apart. Since I got the Snugpak I have not even taken the USGI out of the bag. I often pair the Snugpak sleeping bag and use it as a blanket and take my woobie and lay it out over the cot or mattress during field problems or even in the barracks at AT. Its lightweight, and warm but I had how constraining it is when I use it as a bag. Well a couple of weeks ago I found a review of the Snugpak "Lightweight Jungle Blanket".

Wow what an upgrade. I ordered a 2 pack from Amazon for $60. I was thinking one could be used regularly and one could be tossed in the truck as part of my breakdown survival kit. I opened one because I got just a bit chilly in the room one day watching TV and didn't want to get all the way under the covers. 10 minutes later I was asleep. I keep the room about 68 and while that gets a bit chilly at night we do a lot of day sleeping because of our night mission set and if you let it get any warmer it makes it uncomfortable during the day. In the last 2 weeks honestly I have probably used this to sleep under seven or eight times rather than the hotel bedding and I get much better sleep. Its almost like it self adjusts to the temp you body wants. Now granted the coldest I have had the hotel is about 66-68 degrees not near as cold as you might run into camping. I have decided to take the extra one I had in this package and give it to my aunt for her RV. She is one of those people that always seems to get a chill at night and this is perfect for wrapping up outside and still being able to enjoy the company of others when you are in the outdoors. I will be ordering one of the "XL" or extra long versions for my normal use and will still keep one I have opened in the truck. I am also looking at getting the "hammock quilt" version in the future. This has a sewn in foot box to keep in on your feet at night and wings that you can tuck up under your thighs to keep in on you in a hammock. This is mainly the way I use the sleeping bag on a normal basis anyway.

If you are looking for less expensive and in my opinion a better option to the USGI poncho liner, this is it. It would also make a decent throw around the house or in a camper/RV. I can imagine it would work just as well as an extra layer of insulation in a sleeping bag in extreme cold conditions.

That sounds interesting. I may have to try it. I've got 4-5 woobies currently. I keep two full time in the trailer, the wife always has one, my daughter latched onto one, and it's difficult for me to find one when I want to use it. But it's perfect for a day snooze in the recliner, or a little extra insulation at night. The wife has been dealing with "the change", and she's using hers almost every night instead of sleeping under the covers.

woobie..lol I have one. I am going to take it and have a long zipper put on it. I remember at Ft Jackson during the winter we bivouacked without pitching tents. I laid out my shelter half than my poncho then my poncho liner laid my sleeping bag on on end and rolled up. It was colder that night but I slept warm. Got up the next morning dressed in my sleeping bag and unrolled. All I could see was white lumps with the 8 inches of snow. My battle buddy was from the Bronx in NYC. I had hell getting him to undress in the sleeping bag and stow his clothes at the bottom of the bag. For two nights all I heard was his chattering teeth and when he woke up his sweaty clothes he really got cold lol. Finally got him to try on the third night. I told him if he didn't and kept me up all night with chattering teeth I was going to piss on him. The best warm weather blanket I like at home is one of those thin brown ones the movers used. They left one behind. I washed it and use it when I get cold at night.

Edited by gshayd

Only thing I hate about them is how slippery/slick they are, can slide right off of em when sleeping on the side of a small mountain.

Hopefully these new ones are not so slick

That sounds interesting. I may have to try it. I've got 4-5 woobies currently. I keep two full time in the trailer, the wife always has one, my daughter latched onto one, and it's difficult for me to find one when I want to use it. But it's perfect for a day snooze in the recliner, or a little extra insulation at night. The wife has been dealing with "the change", and she's using hers almost every night instead of sleeping under the covers.

It would be great for that. In fact now that I am home, the one I am supposed to be keeping in the truck is sitting on my recliner., Unfortunatly, it hasn’t been cool enough in the house to use to to nap yet.

woobie..lol I have one. I am going to take it and have a long zipper put on it. I remember at Ft Jackson during the winter we bivouacked without pitching tents. I laid out my shelter half than my poncho then my poncho liner laid my sleeping bag on on end and rolled up. It was colder that night but I slept warm. Got up the next morning dressed in my sleeping bag and unrolled. All I could see was white lumps with the 8 inches of snow. My battle buddy was from the Bronx in NYC. I had hell getting him to undress in the sleeping bag and stow his clothes at the bottom of the bag. For two nights all I heard was his chattering teeth and when he woke up his sweaty clothes he really got cold lol. Finally got him to try on the third night. I told him if he didn't and kept me up all night with chattering teeth I was going to piss on him. The best warm weather blanket I like at home is one of those thin brown ones the movers used. They left one behind. I washed it and use it when I get cold at night.

You should give one of these a try. I think they are warmer than my poncho liner.

Only thing I hate about them is how slippery/slick they are, can slide right off of em when sleeping on the side of a small mountain.

Hopefully these new ones are not so slick

These are not as slick as a woobie, but still pretty slick. These are more however designed to be slept under not over.

• Like 1