redbarron06

First hunt of the season for me in the morning.

Well the camping trip got cut short so I am going to take the opportunity to get in a morning of bow season. I got a good acorn bottom with at least one persimmon tree down in there. A couple of the persimmons had dropped but not anything major yet. I don't have a stand set up down there so I'll be in a climber.

After I'm done with the morning hunt, successful or not, I have a stand to hang over the field. I normally hunt it from a ground blind but this year I am going to get a better vantage point.

Good luck.

Good Luck!

I haven't had a chance to go hunting yet this season..

Well I saw one deer right as I lowered my bow and turned to pack my pack up. No luck getting some freezer meat.

Then as I was putting up a hang on stand that I intend to use during gun and ML season I realized I had grabbed bottom sections for the ladder rather than a top and a bottom. So I didn't get that finished.

Then I went to swapping out cards on trail cams. I picked up 3 more when I was in LC and lost track of where they are so I forgot one even though I walked within 30 yards of it. I did however find a fresh scrape. It is in a place I find them annually so it was no surprise.

Then I got home and checked the cards and I found this guy

Down side is this camera is only about 50 yards from the interstate but if he makes it to ML or gun season I will have a decoy set up with his name on it and he will get his first ride in the Ram. I am not really a trophy hunter but I am not going to pass on him if he walks out.

Well I played hooky yesterday from work and went and hunted all day.  I saw 5 total and got busted drawing down on a doe that came in behind me.  Good news is that I saw the big 10 pointer working a rub line in the middle of the property.  This is good as it means he is here a lot.  I just ordered a new decoy for this year and it will be here and ready by ML season.  Next few weekends are either drill or youth, it is supposed to rain tomorrow and Monday so this afternoon might be my last archery hunt for they year.  The good news is that when I can get back out it will be with smoke pole in hand and the rut should bee going full tilt.

Wasn't feeling good this morning so I slept in.  

Mean while 20 yards from the stand I was in all afternoon yesterday

That's what you get for sleeping in!!!!

Yep.  I hunted from about 3 till dark today, saw 7 doe but the closest one was 100 yards.  No sign of the buck and I was on the filed till dark.  I was going to go back down to this stand but the wind was all wrong for it.

My daughters ground has a bunch of oak, hickory, etc.

They did not seem to produce musch mast this year, not sure why.

They have a lot of squirrels, but not that many.

Are you seeing a reduction in mast production this year ? 

56 minutes ago, Retcop said:

My daughters ground has a bunch of oak, hickory, etc.

They did not seem to produce musch mast this year, not sure why.

They have a lot of squirrels, but not that many.

Are you seeing a reduction in mast production this year ? 

I have heard that oaks are on a 2 year cycle, more open year than the next but I don't have any evidence to back that up.

My oaks were on the slim side this year too. Small and not plentiful. 

Hunting has been awful here. Last week it was raining like hell, this week too dry, and the wind is confused, making scent control a PITA. 

Until last week we were in kind of a warm for season spell.  There was still game being take but you had to fight the skeeters when sitting on stand.  Friday we started having highs in the low 60s and lows in the mid 40s and that has really got them up and moving.

I have acorns on the ground at my house all over the place.

It is so darn wet here you could not slip upon a deaf person.