Jump to content
redbarron06

1MOA Rifle, for less than $300

Recommended Posts

Yea, you can get it now.

 

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/thompson-center-compass-centerfire-bolt-action-rifle?searchTerm=TC Compass

 

Now as if that were not a good enough deal, right now the are also offering an additional $50 rebate, and a $25 dollar gift card with purchase.  So now we are down to about $225.  It gets even better, you can also get a $50 prepaid MasterCard.  https://www.tcarms.com/rebates

 

So now you have a MOA rifle with only about $175 dollars into it.  Check the sales flyer for your local Bass Pro or Cabela's for detail.  You can pull the flyer up online, its the "fall flyer" and its right on the first page.

 

https://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=RetailStoreFlyers

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked one up last year for around that, damn fine rifle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What caliber did you get?  I am thinking either 7mm or 300WM for the elk hunt next year.  I may not use it that much for for less than $200 I can put a another $300 into a Vortex scope and have a hell of a deal for less than $600 after matched rings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m wondering. How well will the gun actually shoot with handloaded ammo??

 

wish they had a 6.5 creed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

What caliber did you get?  I am thinking either 7mm or 300WM for the elk hunt next year.  I may not use it that much for for less than $200 I can put a another $300 into a Vortex scope and have a hell of a deal for less than $600 after matched rings.

 

308

 

I have several in that caliber, seemed logical to get another one. I use it for deer and hog hunting only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey red, are you positive on the price??  I’m thinkink the $50 rebate is the same as the prepaid card........... 

 

i would really like to know for sure though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, calebj06 said:

Hey red, are you positive on the price??  I’m thinkink the $50 rebate is the same as the prepaid card........... 

 

i would really like to know for sure though. 

I called the store and asked.  They said it was not the TC rebate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up one in .243 I think last year it is a nice rifle and a heck of a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

I called the store and asked.  They said it was not the TC rebate.

 

Hmmmmmm. I will be calling tomorrow as well. I’m going to St. Louis on Friday so if they have one in stock then I’m in. 

 

Hopefully they will start my BG check over the phone so that I can pick it up Friday

 

 

ok I actually just got off the phone with bass pro. 

They say it’s $50 off from them from regular price of $349 Then $50 from Thompson with the prepaid card for a total of $100 off. $249. Then they have the $25 promo card for a total all in of $225. 

 

And they wont start my paperwork over the phone. I gotta go twice. 

Edited by calebj06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So best I have found is KYGunCo 

they have them in stock for $259 with free shipping to my FFL, no tax, and no credit cards fees.  

Then I take off the $50 rebate card to get me down to $210. 

 

$20 transfer fee and I’m all clear at $230. 

 

Oh and and they will do 90 day layaway for free with 30% down. 

 

I just happen to have a rebate card from another purchase that’s just enough to cover the 30%......  

 

 

now comes the age old question. 

 

308 or 6.5 creed???? 

 

 

Edited by calebj06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, calebj06 said:

I’m wondering. How well will the gun actually shoot with handloaded ammo??

 

wish they had a 6.5 creed

You have to order the 6.5 from the store, cant order online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to buy a TC Compass, hopefully today, unless the on line stores are closed,

because I do want to talk to a human.

 

CALEB, you were  huge help with kygunco.

However, the only caliber I'm interested in that is in stock is .308. The 6.5 was not in stock at kyguns.  7,mm Rem magnum was. 

Anyone with ideas on caliber, keeping in mind i already have a stock of .308 and 7,62 ammo is very welcome.

This was going to be my mostly likely choice anyway, as it is my understanding that with the right

glass & ammo, and the right guy behind the trigger the .308 will ring the bad guy sized steel at  600 to 800 yards all day long.

This way, I don't have to stock another caliber with the M1A, which is important to me.

The down side to not getting 6.5 in my mind, is if I ever wanted to get into PRS in the practical class, it has to be the 6.5. 

However, planning to stay in the mid central south does not give much opportunity for PRS events. 

Moose hunting is pushing it with a .308 IMHO, but what are my chances of fulfilling that dream ?

Elk or mule deer are more realistic. I would be comfy with the .308.

 

So after I check out some TC Compass reviews  I will be most likely be getting the rifle.

Please,  for all the guys who own a Compass on this board, please give me your likes AND dislikes. 

My biggest complaint about the inexpensive rifles being made these days are the ones where the

polymer stock feels very flimsy. I don't have any expectations about being as happy as a good grade walnut

or a carbon fiber stock, but please let me know if that stock is cheesy. 

 

Looking forward to having some fin. It's a small amount of money, but except for the PSA I settled for earlier this year,

it's been a long time since I bought a new gun. So Compass owners, please give me your honest reviews.

As soon as I get some decent glass, this will fill a huge hole in my small armory, a reasonably accurate and durable bolt action

in a modern caliber.  I would love to have your guys input on the TC Compass.

Comments on TC's Customer service is also requested.   

Thanks,

John

Note: I don't consider this "hijacking", as all I am asking for is reviews of the Compass from owners, or those who have experience with them.

I would think anyone interested in this thread would also be interested in reviews of the Compass.

Redif you object, let me know, and I will delete my post and start a new thread. 

Edited by Retcop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Retcop said:

Going to buy a TC Compass, hopefully today, unless the on line stores are closed,

because I do want to talk to a human.

 

CALEB, you were  huge help with kygunco.

However, the only caliber I'm interested in that is in stock is .308. The 6.5 was not in stock at kyguns.  7,mm Rem magnum was. 

Anyone with ideas on caliber, keeping in mind i already have a stock of .308 and 7,62 ammo is very welcome.

This was going to be my mostly likely choice anyway, as it is my understanding that with the right

glass & ammo, and the right guy behind the trigger the .308 will ring the bad guy sized steel at  600 to 800 yards all day long.

This way, I don't have to stock another caliber with the M1A, which is important to me.

The down side to not getting 6.5 in my mind, is if I ever wanted to get into PRS in the practical class, it has to be the 6.5. 

However, planning to stay in the mid central south does not give much opportunity for PRS events. 

Moose hunting is pushing it with a .308 IMHO, but what are my chances of fulfilling that dream ?

Elk or mule deer are more realistic. I would be comfy with the .308.

 

So after I check out some TC Compass reviews  I will be most likely be getting the rifle.

Please,  for all the guys who own a Compass on this board, please give me your likes AND dislikes. 

My biggest complaint about the inexpensive rifles being made these days are the ones where the

polymer stock feels very flimsy. I don't have any expectations about being as happy as a good grade walnut

or a carbon fiber stock, but please let me know if that stock is cheesy. 

 

Looking forward to having some fin. It's a small amount of money, but except for the PSA I settled for earlier this year,

it's been a long time since I bought a new gun. So Compass owners, please give me your honest reviews.

As soon as I get some decent glass, this will fill a huge hole in my small armory, a reasonably accurate and durable bolt action

in a modern caliber.  I would love to have your guys input on the TC Compass.

Comments on TC's Customer service is also requested.   

Thanks,

John

Note: I don't consider this "hijacking", as all I am asking for is reviews of the Compass from owners, or those who have experience with them.

I would think anyone interested in this thread would also be interested in reviews of the Compass.

Redif you object, let me know, and I will delete my post and start a new thread. 

Not a highjack at all.  

 

Of the reviews I have seen both video and written there has only been one issue I have seen brought up more than once and it was only brought up twice.  That issue was the trigger.  A couple of people got rifles and could not adjust the trigger down below 5.5 lbs.  Like you said about the stock, for that price I don't expect rock solid chassis or McMillian level quality but it is a hunting gun.  Most hunters don't have the time or space to lay down into a good solid irone position and really preload a bipod.  Most shots are take off hand or maybe using the edge of a blind or limb as stabilization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ordered a 6.5 creed. 

I will try to get a solid review up for you guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×