Sign in to follow this  
zoomy

Honda Pioneer 1000-5

I’m thinking of getting a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 to keep in my Arizona house.  Plan on using it for local errands, off road exploring and a shooting range vehicle. I like that it has a automatic / manual six speed transmission instead of the CVT. 

The rpm stay lower at cruising and launch and speed control are more accurate. It also has flip up seats in the dump bed when extra passengers need a ride.

Anyone have any knowledge about the vehicle they could share? Is the automatic an actual benefit?

My uncle bought one a couple years ago I think. 

He kept it for about 6 months and promptly sold it. 

Here is why. 

The rear seats are not comfortable for an adult. They are really only ok for children. 

Even bigger reason, the rear seats take on A TON of HEAT!  The kids were always complaining about how hot it was back there on long rides. (Short trips were ok) 

he also quickly got tired of having to swap between the bed and the seats. And when doing so the seats were almost always super dirty and had to be cleaned before he could use them. 

As far as drivability though it was great. Motor and trans was nice and it was plenty fast. 

Before the pioneer he had a Kawasaki mule pro FX.  It’s the one that does the same thing. Switches from a huge bed, to a very small bed and 2 sets of seats. It was ok but also a pain to switch.  It’s biggest fault was that it was slow!   

It was stolen from his yard and that is why he went to the Honda. 

After selling the honda he bought a Polaris ranger crew. 

The polaris only has one single fault that he ever complains about. 

ITS BIG!! 

Besides that, he loves everything about it. Plenty of power, plenty of seating, everyone is comfortable, no changing between bed and seats. He just loves it. 

But its no trail boss!  It’s for around the farm, down the road, and through the fields. It will go down some trails but be prepared to need a lot of space to turn around if you need to. 

I will also add that if you have ever driven an automatic on any atv, the trans on the Honda will feel very strange and take some getting used to. It shifts like a car which is a wierd sensation on an atv.  The Polaris is more of a traditional auto where there is no shifting. It’s just straight mash the gas and go. 

We actually both prefer the Polaris. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by calebj06
Spelling

Just like when we give advice on which AR to buy, let us know you're main use for this vehicle. I know you said errands, off road and shooting, but that doesn't require 1000cc.

Personally, I'm not made of money, and my kids are young enough, they can't handle full power driving, so I'd look at a less powerful version. If you plan on high powered, full throttle racing with 4 passengers on a regular basis, or you just really want the top end stuff, that would justify 1000cc versus 700cc.

Just like a car, test drive a bunch of models. I know a Polaris 570 would likely be more than enough power for me. Especially for running errands by myself or general exploring. 

Local dealer options is also a consideration. I'd prefer multiple dealers in my area in case one turned out to be crappy.

Edited by Casper

I looked at the pioneer 700-4 and it claims a top speed, electronically limited, of 45 mph. With mainly trail riding, there's little chance I try to go 45 mph.

But if your errand running is 10 miles of flat, open dirt roads, you might want a higher top speed. 

Edited by Casper

Thanks for the input . I’ve never owned a UTV but have driven a couple. I would be licensing it for the road so I would need about 60 mph. I guess I’ll have to rethink  the fold down rear seats.

Just buy a good used Jeep....you'll be money ahead. 

1 hour ago, towtruck said:

Just buy a good used Jeep....you'll be money ahead. 

This is actually my plan. 

When my my family members go ride their stretched out rangers they can’t go anywhere a Jeep couldn’t go. When they are done they have to load them in a trailer and take them back home. I can stay in the Jeep and head straight to Dairy Queen!

• Like 1

In his state, he can register the honda pioneer for on road use. So really, it comes down to his preference. 

As far as a dedicated off road vehicle, the pioneer (or similar UTV) has the advantage. It's also cheaper. Fewer creature comforts, I guess. But if I could register my UTV like he can, I'd go pioneer over wrangler.