Forsaken352

Suppressor Cover

The other day I ran my M1A with the suppressor, and it did not take long for that heat mirage to start in, distorting the view through the scope.  Who here can chime in on quality suppressor covers? (SiCo Omega .300)

It is going to vary depending on the type of shooting you do.  If you are doing slow precision shots say for long range, I would recommend the TabGear.  This is the one I use for my Bergara and my GA Precision

https://tabgear.configio.com/pd/850/tab-sas-r?returncom=productlist&source=search

If you are doing more of a run and gun there are companies that make silicon versions that are designed to withstand more heat than those made with Nomex and other fabric type designs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redbarron06 said:

It is going to vary depending on the type of shooting you do.  If you are doing slow precision shots say for long range, I would recommend the TabGear.  This is the one I use for my Bergara and my GA Precision

https://tabgear.configio.com/pd/850/tab-sas-r?returncom=productlist&source=search

If you are doing more of a run and gun there are companies that make silicon versions that are designed to withstand more heat than those made with Nomex and other fabric type designs.

Thank you, Red!  Would there be any cons to using one designed to withstand the higher temperatures over the Nomex/etc., even if it may not typically see continuous strings of rapid fire?

5 minutes ago, Forsaken352 said:

Thank you, Red!  Would there be any cons to using one designed to withstand the higher temperatures over the Nomex/etc., even if it may not typically see continuous strings of rapid fire?

The only con I might foresee is that the ones that are silicon generally have a very tight fit.  Tight on and tight off.  Generally after each streak of 10-12 with my bolt actions, I will slide the cover down over the barrel or off of the end to allow the can to shed some heat.  I could see that being a more laborious task with one that fit too tight.  

Obviously there are a lot of factors that go into the heat build up, how hot is the ammo, how short is the barrel, do you normally leave the bolt open to allow air circulation between strings.  I try to keep the can as cool as I can within reason when shooting, especially for accuracy and long range.  I also keep a old pot holder in my range bag, if I do a long 15-20 shot string I will take the can off and remove the cover and lay it on the pot holder for some direct air circulation.   It also gives me something to put the can on while it cools and I am packing up.  Don't want to toss a hot can into a range bag, rifle bag or a nylon pouch while it is too hot.

26 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

The only con I might foresee is that the ones that are silicon generally have a very tight fit.  Tight on and tight off.  Generally after each streak of 10-12 with my bolt actions, I will slide the cover down over the barrel or off of the end to allow the can to shed some heat.  I could see that being a more laborious task with one that fit too tight.  

Obviously there are a lot of factors that go into the heat build up, how hot is the ammo, how short is the barrel, do you normally leave the bolt open to allow air circulation between strings.  I try to keep the can as cool as I can within reason when shooting, especially for accuracy and long range.  I also keep a old pot holder in my range bag, if I do a long 15-20 shot string I will take the can off and remove the cover and lay it on the pot holder for some direct air circulation.   It also gives me something to put the can on while it cools and I am packing up.  Don't want to toss a hot can into a range bag, rifle bag or a nylon pouch while it is too hot.

Makes sense. If 15-20 is a more average number in a string, then yes, it's quite possible for me to exceed that in somewhat short order.

What do you think of that Coletac HTP? They're claiming it can withstand 3,000 degrees internally, and have a video on their website of a fellow dumping a couple 5.56 mags full auto. 

50 minutes ago, Forsaken352 said:

Makes sense. If 15-20 is a more average number in a string, then yes, it's quite possible for me to exceed that in somewhat short order.

What do you think of that Coletac HTP? They're claiming it can withstand 3,000 degrees internally, and have a video on their website of a fellow dumping a couple 5.56 mags full auto. 

Most of them are rated pretty high.  The one thing that I wanted in my cover was some sort of stretchy design.  As you know when things heat up they expand.  The same happens to the cover.  I never got a warm and fuzzy with the covers that had no "cinch" feature.  I went with the TAB gear because of the shock cord design.  Using it on a rifle like a M1A that has a bit but not unmanageable recoil, especially shooting anything other than prone or bench will cause the cover to slide forward each shot.  Even with mine I managed to sling it down range once at the LR shoot last year.  It looks like the Cole-TAC uses maybe velcro straps, which are better than nothing, but I think something with some elasticity like shock cord will keep it on tighter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, redbarron06 said:

Most of them are rated pretty high.  The one thing that I wanted in my cover was some sort of stretchy design.  As you know when things heat up they expand.  The same happens to the cover.  I never got a warm and fuzzy with the covers that had no "cinch" feature.  I went with the TAB gear because of the shock cord design.  Using it on a rifle like a M1A that has a bit but not unmanageable recoil, especially shooting anything other than prone or bench will cause the cover to slide forward each shot.  Even with mine I managed to sling it down range once at the LR shoot last year.  It looks like the Cole-TAC uses maybe velcro straps, which are better than nothing, but I think something with some elasticity like shock cord will keep it on tighter.

Thank you again, Red!  Appreciate the input, and will do a bit more research before deciding either way.  Happy turkey day!

One thing that I saw Cole-TAC offers on their HTP is a 'stricta cord'.

" The Stricta Cord is an option on all of our suppressor covers that can be used to tie off the cover to the back of your suppressor. This normally not needed on most calibers, but is a nice added benefit if you are going to be shooting those big cannons. "

IMG_8048_720x.jpg

I wonder if I couldn't tie that joker down to maybe the bipod or something to keep the suppressors from shifting forward?  And whether or not that is an option for other manufacturers, should I ultimately find the Cole-TAC will not be the one to go with?