ihasagun

Timed Rimfire Competition Equipment Suggestions

My local CAS club runs rimfire matches on the side once a month, and I think it sounds like fun.  It’s a good option fir youths to compete.  Competitors stand at a rail and shoot metal targets that are big and close, and the time to complete the course is what matters.  There are no restrictions on the gun, just the ammo, which is lead only .22.

Im told most competitors use semi auto rifles and/or pistols with red dot scopes.  My semi auto 22s (I.e., Ruger Mark III and Mossberg AR type with fixed handle upper) can’t mount that kind of scope.  I was thinking maybe a Ruger 10/22 Tactical?  Any other options I should maybe prefer?  What about a pistol?  Thanks.

A 10/22 would be a good way to go for the rifle.......a Mark IV or similar pistol would be nice to own.

Yep, timed with big targets, like everybody else says, 10/22.  

For a pistol, I’d go with a Mark III before a Mark IV.  The Mark III can have the barrel swapped out if you ever have the need to.  The Mark IV, the barrel is integral with the action and cannot be swapped.  

Start out with a 10-22 when you have exhausted the accuracy potential of. Move up to a better rifle.

if they're big and close then I'd go with a pistol.  The 10/22 would work but I think the swing would be slower- that could just be me.

I'd put a dot on any Ruger auto pistol. I don't see where there is a problem with that. I've got an old beat up custom MK II  that gets it done occasionally.   

I've shot some of the new ones using a dot.  They worked very nicely.  

The rifle will get trounced up close even with a dot.  It needs a bit of distance to overcome the hosers in the mix.

Greg 

Please bring us along as you get your weapon of choice prepped,

and you compete.  Bring a photographer with you, please.

That sounds like fun.

You think a duffer could stay in the top half with an iron sighted Smith 41 pistol ? 

I have a Ruger Mark II with a holographic red dot mounted is there not one available for the Mark 3.

Darrell

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Retcop said:

Please bring us along as you get your weapon of choice prepped,

and you compete.  Bring a photographer with you, please.

That sounds like fun.

You think a duffer could stay in the top half with an iron sighted Smith 41 pistol ? 

It depends how rarified air the shooting group is breathing.  By and large there's always a hot dog or two. Discount those and middle of the pack IF you'll get some trigger time in between matches.  Using matches as your practice time won't get you up much past that. 

My suggestion is go practice on paper plates and index cards of the proper size. Get yourself a timer app on the phone,  I think they exist, or a real time. Get a shooting buddy and you both burn powder. Competition mano y mano will hone those skills. 

To steal from Caddyshack once you get to the right level,  "Be the bullet " At that level you're going to almost feel like sights are optional on those close targets.

Greg 

3 hours ago, GLShooter said:

It depends how rarified air the shooting group is breathing.  By and large there's always a hot dog or two. Discount those and middle of the pack IF you'll get some trigger time in between matches.  Using matches as your practice time won't get you up much past that. 

My suggestion is go practice on paper plates and index cards of the proper size. Get yourself a timer app on the phone,  I think they exist, or a real timer. Get a shooting buddy and you both burn powder. Competition mano y mano will hone those skills. 

To steal from Caddyshack once you get to the right level,  "Be the bullet " At that level you're going to almost feel like sights are optional on those close targets.

Greg 

If you said how close, I missed it...

He was talking very close

To me that implies 15 yards max but I've shot a ton of stuff at 10 and under.

Indoor matches are stretched at 20 but steel is not common there. 

Steel Challenge is the Gold standard on steel but it gets out to 25 and those targets dang sure aren't big..lol

Greg 

Got a ruger 10/22 with a magpul stock, upgraded trigger, and reflex sight.

Put a reflex sight in my ruger mark III.  

Shot with just the pistol last month.  Got times between 3 and 5 seconds, which won in the women’s category.  My BF got a snubby cheap pistol with iron sights and did not do well.

I ordered a bunch of extra clips for both of my ruger firearms so we can share them without slowing down the match.

I think all of the targets are probably within 10 meters, but rifles still out perform pistols.  With the pistol, I had problems with losing the dot when going between close and “far” targets (i.e., less close), etc.  I’m sure I can go faster with the rifle, and my BF is really looking forward to using the rifle.  He’s not really a pistol fan.

Thanks for all the advice.

Congratulations on the win. Sounds like you are taking to competition like a duck to water.

Speed with a pistol comes over time and about 10,000 rounds with a buzzer going off and a timer working your brain into a frothing frenzy.  Mental imaging is a big step in improving with both set ups. In a pistol I've found that it really pays off when the hundredths have to be shed to win.

Greg

Thanks.  The guy running the match has been shooting it for a year, and he has times under 2 seconds.  That means I have plenty of room for improvement.  But plinking is fun regardless.

• Like 1