ewallover

I hate aluminum...

Just got back from visiting my son and his wife for Thanksgiving in Wyoming.  Aside from an unexpected blizzard that was only supposed to be 1-3 inches we had a fabulous time. I took my new Remington 597 .22 rifle along to ring some steel and maybe a prairie dog or two, but when we arrived I noted the scope was loose.  That ended that, far too many other things happening to play gunsmith out there.  By the way, my 14 month old Lab loves to hunt!  No adverse signs of that shoulder problem... and he’s not a bit gun shy!  Thank God for small favors!  

Well, once home I removed the scope, which was not loose at the mount, to re-tighten the scope mount and reset my optic.  Long story short, all three screws for the scope mount showed signs of being stripped in the receiver.  I never thought to tighten the factory installed Weaver style scope mount, I just popped the scope on and sighted in.  So how do I go about fixing this mess?

I ordered a new aftermarket EDG picatinny scope rail for the 597 and new hardened screws but until they arrive I will have no way of determining if the new screws will have enough purchase to properly mount the rail to 20 inch-pounds.  I’m ticked off at myself for not checking the mount initially.  The rifle traveled behind the rear seat the entire trip without being jostled or dropped.  I felt sick when the center screw simply would not tighten while the front and rear mounting screws seemed to bite but only when fully inserted without the mount in place.

Am I looking at a costly repair or is there a simple fix out there?  Helicoils come to mind and I saw a Locktite thread repair option but that product came with mixed reviews.

Damn, it’s always something...  any thoughts would be appreciated.

Use acetone to degrease the bases, screws and mounting holes and surrounding area on the receiver. Mix up a batch of JB Weld, the 24 hour stuff, you aren't going to shoot in the next 5 minutes anyways. Apply liberally to the screw holes, and bases where it contacts the receiver. Assemble, tighten desire amount, clean up the squeezin's, let it set. 

Those bases will never move again until you apply heat, it doesn't take a a lot, JB Weld starts to break down around and lose its' grip around 300*.  

A buddy of mine JB Welded his base onto his .222. Several years later he wanted to take it off but couldn't find the torch so just put the allen wrench to it. He twisted the heads off all the screws and still couldn't get the scope base off. He remounted the scope and forgot about it. Picked the rifle up again and started shooting again. Shot it for a couple of years and the scope got trashed riding behind the seat of his truck. Went to replace the scope and remembered the butcher job he did when he saw it. He decided to have it fixed and took it to a gunsmith. Gunsmith charged him some ridiculous amount and put the thing in an oven and brought it up to 400* and tapping the bases with a hammer. Then he twisted the screws out by cutting a slot in the screws to accept a screwdriver. 

Point is it went a couple of years with no screws holding the bases on and it didn't come loose.

Or if you are handier, you can tap the screws out to the next size up. I believe standard size is 6-40 and you can take them up to 8-40. You have to drill out the screw holes in the bases to fit of course.

17 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

Or if you are handier, you can tap the screws out to the next size up. I believe standard size is 6-40 and you can take them up to 8-40. You have to drill out the screw holes in the bases to fit of course.

Standard size is actually 6-48, but no matter if going to 8-40 which will hold much better.

If it were me, I would just go to the next bigger size rather than going the JB Weld direction.

Years ago I had a guy bring me a Hi-Power that he wanted a big Bomar Rib installed on. It came with four 6-48 screws to hold it down. The first problem he encountered was that his handloads ceased to be sufficient to cycle it. After working up a satisfactory target load that would cycle it, within a hundred rounds he sheared all four 6-48's off. The solution was 8-40's on that one too.

Edited by Longhair

Drill and tap. 

If your not comfortable doing it take it to a local gun smith, known mechanic, or machine shop. 

I’ve already spoken with my local gunsmith.  The rail should be here Monday.  I just cannot figure out how this happened.  Maybe 500 rounds down the tube and I never took a screwdriver to the mounting rail..., no drops, bumps or bruises... go figure.  I’m going to stay away from the JB Weld or the Loctite thread repair. With only about 50% of the reviews being excellent and 50% saying it doesn’t work, redrilling and tapping looks to be the best option if I want a perminent fix.  Not sure if a 6x48 helicoil even exists.

Sounds like these guys have you squared away.  Drill and tap the next size up.

I actually had the base come loose on my savage 308.  Had an aluminum rail.  Never again.....

Got a Leupold steel rail and screwed it down with some added JB Weld.  Hopefully that sucker is never coming loose again!

The rail arrived early. Two of the three screws torqued to 10 inch pounds with blue Loctite (rear screws); the front screw is “screwed”... I wrapped the shank of threads on the front screw with fine steel wool and coated the hole thing with red Loctite. Slowly hand tightened until I got a firm resistance and stopped. I know it’s not great, but drilling out the rail to #8 screws is going to be a mess. We are talking a .22 so recoil should not be an issue. Time will tell, but the rail appears to be rock solid, so it’s a final adjustment tomorrow and off to the range to re sight the scope.

Not perfect but serviceable. I wish I could find a small enough helicoil... maybe someday. I’ll keep digging.bfdbac139d37aa56110ccf5c546b72ed.jpg
1e0ba610bc16dbec09884d0318329a86.jpg
a9cf5384eecac515195a1bf29bb7f86c.jpg
0a58b7d9bd8b6af5c9a0afd528b9ac61.jpg

The mount raises the scope as I had to run out to pick up a set of high Quad Lock 1” scope rings so the bells of the scope would clear the scope mount rail. Luckily a local Dicks had one. (I know I said I’d never set foot in another Dicks... but). We shall see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ingenuitive. :tiphat:  I'll give you that.

Well.....time will tell. :mf_popcorn: