CENTURIATOR

Training Scars - And Overcoming Them

Indeed...........thanks for the link.

Posted (edited)

1, Anything that is in any way shape or form related to or has the name Cheaper than Dirt, stay the hell away from......They are scam artists, cheats and will steal you blind given the chance, not to be trusted in any way shape or form.....and anybody that writes for them, to make them happy and be paid for them.....nope, not worth the time of day......

Edited by Rampy
  • Like 1

The man with the campaign hat and the brass rod beat that out of me by ringing my steel pot at the range.

Edited by gshayd

I have two thing I can offer at the top of my head that will, in general help you avoid many training scars.

1)  Stay away from highly regulated public ranges. They are a breeding ground for training scars because of the need for absolute "safety".  (cough, cough) 

With a sidearm, at least, you can accomplish 95% of what you can accomplish at a public range through dry fire, and in some ways, you can accomplish more with dry fire, and save your ammo when you can conduct scar free live fire. For example, dry fire will not only allow you to work fundamentals like grip  trigger press, sight alignment etc, you can also draw from the holster and concealment. At the public ranges I have been to, you can not draw from the holster, and certainly without your typical concealment clothing on.

2)  Always keep a "hot" range.   I NEVER run a sidearm dry without doing a "speed reload" and keeping the gun "hot"    When the slide is locked back, immediately drop the magazine as you are getting the next magazine out of it's holder, insert the magazine, drop the slide, scan for threats, and/or continue to fire if you are still "not happy" . With high cap magazines, if you deliver, 2, 3 or even 4 rounds to the upper chest, and are not getting results, it is time to move to a pelvic shot, a head shot, a lower abdomen (liver) shot, etc . The standard of course, is 2 to the chest and one to the head.  In using target stands on wheels replicating a threat moving towards you, or in any defensive situation, the importance of you moving can not be overstated.Again, if a public range does not allow this, do it at home with dry fire.Make sure the weapon, and ALL magazines are unloaded. IMO, their should be NO ammunition in the room  in which you are dry firing. With dry fire, you can also practice sight alignment and trigger press form different positions. Regular things like barricades, kneeling, prone, but also from your back, side, cattywampus, and with your glasses off. None of this can be at a range, but sooner or later (sooner) you need training that teaches you this positions to simulate making yourself happy after the bad guy has knocked you on your ass. If you don't think sight alignment is any different while on your back using your legs to keep the guy with the knife off of you while you get your pistol out of your pocket for instance, I got news for you. 

It is a great way to confuse the amped up bad guy, especially one that has taken a couple of rounds, even if he or she is wearing a vest.  I have found in these exercises with moving bad guys, that a head shot is not always the easiest to make, especially when the bad guy is barrelling at you from 21 or so feet, and is moving like a running back through a defensive line. 

I wholeheartedly  agree with the head shot to hopefully turn the lights out, and that is what I train to, but a man must know his limitations. One of the skills of combat shooting is not only everything needing to be done being committed to muscle memory, but the ability to make instantaneous decisions to do what will work best. 

It is much easier to talk about training scars when observing, or in this case talking about exactly what you do when training at a range. Anything that is different from how you would do it in real life when facing a deadly threat can develop a scar.

In the old days, cops who lost firefights where found with their hand filled with 6 empty brass, or empty brass in their pocket, because on the range they were required to catch the brass coming out of their revolver, and dump into a bucket, or place it in their pocket to dump later. If you are one of those guys who cant stand to have his magazines ejected to hit hard surfaces, get over it. Get a good supply of training magazines and a good supple of duty magazines.  You MUST periodically run rounds throu the duty magazines with whatever SD ammo you are using so you can check their function. Mark one set T for training, and the otherset D for duty. That way you can keep your duty mag pristine from free fall ejection and getting kicked around during training,  The only time I worry about my Glock OEM mags is if for some reason I am ejecting a partially loaded mag, which is extremely rare, and it is usually from someone not fully seating a full mag. 

If your holster has retention devices, make sure you have the safety devices in place when you draw.  There was an SIU cop killed in an ambush by the Black Panthers in 1970, IIR the date correctly. When he "trained at the range, he never had his simple thumb break snapped.  They found him with his duty belt up around his chest as he desperately tried to draw his revolver with the thumb break snapped. 

No matter how high speed low drag you think you are, when the bullets start flying, you are going to react exactly how you were trained.  You may feel like evacuating your bladder and/or your bowels, which is just your lizard brain getting your body ready for flight or fight. Make your training and your dry fire as much like an actual firefight as humanly possible. Yes, range sessions should always include a bit of working on fundamentals. I suggest you do this at the start of your session, and don't forget the force multiplier of dry fire to work on fundamental, so your live fire can be used for something where stress is induced as part of the training.