alpo

December 7, 1941-A Day That Will Live in Infamy (Pictures)

On Sunday, December 7th, 1941 the Japanese launched a surprise attack against the U.S. Forces stationed at Pearl Harbor , Hawaii . By planning his attack on a Sunday, the Japanese commander Admiral Nagumo, hoped to catch the entire fleet in port. As luck would have it, the Aircraft Carr iers and one of the Battleships were not in port. (The USS Enterprise was returning from Wake Island, where it had just delivered some aircraft. The USS Lexington was ferrying aircraft to Midway, and the USS Saratoga and USS Colorado were undergoing repairs in the United States.)

In spite of the latest intelligence reports about the missing aircraft carriers (his most important targets), Admiral Nagumo decided to continue the attack with his force of six carriers and 423 aircraft. At a range of 230 miles north of Oahu, he launched the first wave of a two-wave attack. Beginning at 0600 hours his first wave consisted of 183 fighters and torpedo bombers which struck at the fleet in Pearl Harbor and the airfields in Hickam, Kaneohe and Ewa. The second strike, launched at 0715 hours, consisted of 167 aircraft, which again struck at the same targets.

At 0753 hours the first wave consisting of 40 Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" torpedo bombers, 51 Aichi D3A1 "Val" dive bombers, 50 high altitude bombers and 43 Zeros struck airfields and Pearl Harbor Within the next hour, the second wave arrived and continued the attack.
When it was over, the U.S. losses were:

Casualties
USA< /st1:country-region> : 218 KIA, 364 WIA.
USN: 2,008 KIA, 710 WIA.
USMC: 109 KIA, 69 WIA.
Civilians: 68 KIA, 35 WIA. TOTAL: 2,403 KIA, 1,178 WIA.
-------------------------------------------------

Battleships
USS Arizona (BB-39) - total loss whe n a bomb hit her magazine.
USS Oklahoma (BB-37) - Total loss when she capsized and sunk in the harbor.
USS California (BB-44) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and repaired.
USS West Virginia (BB-48) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and repaired.
USS Nevada - (BB-36) Beached to prevent sinking. Later repaired.
USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) - Light damage.
USS Maryland (BB-46) - Light damage.
USS Tennessee (BB-43) Light damage.
USS Utah (AG-16) - (former battleship used as a target) - Sunk.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
Cruisers
USS New Orleans (CA-32) - Light Damage..
USS San Francisco (CA38) - Light Damage.
USS Detroit (CL-8) - Light Damage.
USS Raleigh (CL-7) - Heavily damaged but repaired.
USS Helena (CL-50) - Light Damage.
USS Honolulu (CL-48) - Light Damage..
-------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------- --
Destroyers
USS Downes (DD-375) - Destroyed. Parts salvaged.
USS Cassin - (DD-37 2) Destroyed. Parts salvaged.
USS Shaw (DD-373) - Very heavy damage.
USS Helm (DD-388) - Light Damage.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minelayer
USS Ogala (CM-4) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seaplane Tender
USS Curtiss (AV-4) - Severely damaged but later repaired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Repair Ship
USS Vestal (AR-4) - Severely damaged but later repaired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harbor Tug
USS Sotoyomo (YT-9) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------
Aircraft
188 Aircraft destroyed (92 USN and 92 U.S. Army Air Corps.)

gallery_135_65_12905.jpg

gallery_135_65_16972.jpg

gallery_135_65_16312.jpg

gallery_135_65_19651.jpg

gallery_135_65_271.jpg

gallery_135_65_30365.jpg

gallery_135_65_17832.jpg

gallery_135_65_12287.jpg

gallery_135_65_19905.jpg

gallery_135_65_22240.jpg

gallery_135_65_26029.jpg

gallery_135_65_13179.jpg

gallery_135_65_14208.jpg

gallery_135_65_1088.jpg

gallery_135_65_5369.jpg

gallery_135_65_14983.jpg

• Like 3

Never forget.  Retribution is mine sayeth the B-29.

Matt

Absolute truth. One of 2 BiLs birthday is tomorrow, December 7th. His initials are JAP. And his father's (my FiL) birthday is December 25th.

That day will live in the minds of those who experienced it for infamy.   I wasn't born until June of 1945, but it's still a time in history that will forever more affect me.  I can't even begin to imagine how those who were there and still alive felt at the time.   Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not really enough retribution..............but they were what "convinced" the Japanese to surrender.  Sad that so many lives were lost on "their" side, but it ended the war decisively and saved millions of additional deaths on both sides.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris645 said:

That day will live in the minds of those who experienced it for infamy.   I wasn't born until June of 1945, but it's still a time in history that will forever more affect me.  I can't even begin to imagine how those who were there and still alive felt at the time.   Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not really enough retribution..............but they were what "convinced" the Japanese to surrender.  Sad that so many lives were lost on "their" side, but it ended the war decisively and saved millions of additional deaths on both sides.  

You know, it is crazy to think about it but I was born 24 years after WWII ended and it even still had an effect on kids my age. A lot of people 1 generation older had nothing good to say about the Japanese. "Dirty jap bastiages" was something I heard a lot when I was little. Then by the time I was 10 we were buying Japanese cars.

But then when you think about it, in 6 years a child will be born 24 years after 9/11 happened and they won't know about it, who did it and why they did it. Pearl Harbor sent us to war for 3.5 years, 9/11 sent us to war for 17 years and counting and everything that can be done to sweep it under the carpet has been done.

• Like 1

All of what you've said is hard to believe, MontanaLon, but I fully understand.

For first time, no USS Arizona survivors will be in attendance at ceremonies to mark attack on Pearl Harbor

By Jim Mendoza | December 5, 2018 at 10:59 PM EST - Updated December 6 at 4:16 AM

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - When a moment of silence is observed at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center Friday morning to commemorate the attack on Pearl Harbor, it will be without an important component.

No one who survived the bombing of the USS Arizona battleship will be in the audience.

“This is the very first year,” said Daniel Martinez, historian with the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument.

Health issues and doctor's orders prevented Lou Conter from coming.

“She said you cannot go. You better cancel out,” he said in telephone interview from his home in California.

Conter is 97. The handful of survivors of the battleship’s sinking are all in their 90s.

"I've noticed the interest of people asking, 'Will there be any of them there?' because they've been so visible," Martinez said.

World War II author Michael Wenger said this is a sad preview of what's to come.

"Once all these Pearl Harbor survivors are gone, and the people who knew them are gone, we're going to have lost this last living connection," he said.

About 300 USS Arizona sailors survived Japan’s surprise attack.

Only five are alive: Conter, Don Stratton, Ken Potts, Lonnie Cook and Lauren Bruner.

"I would love to have seen them be here but it's just unfortunate that they're not going to be here," Navy veteran Iraldo Alvarez said.

"It makes me afraid that we're going to distance ourselves from what happened," Pearl Harbor visitor Kasey Cross said.

Martinez estimates about 100 World War II veterans will be at Friday's ceremony.

He said it’s fortunate the stories of USS Arizona and other service members who survived the attack on December 7, 1941, have been captured on videotaped interviews.

Someday all of them will be gone.

"They'll still speak to us, just in a different way," Martinez said.

Conter’s disappointed he’ll miss this year’s event, but he plans to be back next year.

He wants the focus to remain on the those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

“The ones that should be honored are the 1,177 shipmates on the Arizona, and the 2,403 from the military services who were killed that day,” he said.

7 hours ago, MontanaLon said:

You know, it is crazy to think about it but I was born 24 years after WWII ended and it even still had an effect on kids my age. A lot of people 1 generation older had nothing good to say about the Japanese. "Dirty jap bastiages" was something I heard a lot when I was little. Then by the time I was 10 we were buying Japanese cars.

But then when you think about it, in 6 years a child will be born 24 years after 9/11 happened and they won't know about it, who did it and why they did it. Pearl Harbor sent us to war for 3.5 years, 9/11 sent us to war for 17 years and counting and everything that can be done to sweep it under the carpet has been done.

I was born 8 years and 4 months after the attack.  My Dad and his two brothers all served thru the war.  It was still pretty fresh on everyone's minds as I grew up.

never forget :respect:

• Like 1

I was born 10 years after the end of WWII. My Dad was the harbor patrol (USN) in Pearl Harbor a year after the attack. He quit HS to join at 17 with his mothers permission.  All but a couple of my uncles were in WWII (the 2 were too young)  all but 1 are gone now.

:salute:       :respect:

now days we don't have the political fortitude to do what is needed in battle, too many crybaby liberals!

Edited by sw9mm

Just being me. I thought we should have beyond destroyed them; literally. No future generations, no nothing. get the erasers out and remove Japan from all maps. I have no issues with them now, but my first choice would have been a complete annihilation.

• Like 1

Had a cousin aboard Nevada on 7 December and survived. Most of my family served in the Pacific War. I will never forget, right to my grave.

Matt

This day was always celebrated for many reasons when we were kids. My mom was 15 years and celebrating a typical birthday as a youth. Then she got the news of Pearl Harbor. She is 92 today and I am going  to Denver to meet her and my sister.

And.....RIP to the Greatest Generation who helped secure Liberty.