Flesh Wound

Any good reason to not get certified as an NRA instructor?

I know the NRA instructor certifications do not seem too awfully well regarded in some circles. However this is something I had looked at doing in the past. Dunno why, but it's just been a thing I wanted.

Other than the time and costs to get the cert is there any *good* reason not to? 

I can't think of one. 

Does Texas require you to pass a course of fire to "qualify" for CCW ? 

Does being a NRA certified instructor make you qualified to teach the class, at least in part ? 

I would love to teach lose classes and help shape young skulls full of lead. 

I would think it would depend. I am an NRA law enforcement instructor, and I found their instruction was really well done. I am required to either attend 24 hours of non-agency conducted training within 3 years, or retake a 40 hour course for each discipline. 

22 minutes ago, Retcop said:

I can't think of one. 

Does Texas require you to pass a course of fire to "qualify" for CCW ? 

Does being a NRA certified instructor make you qualified to teach the class, at least in part ? 

I would love to teach lose classes and help shape young skulls full of lead. 

There are no outside certifications required for a Texas LTC. I've had mine for just short of 2 years. 

I'm sure the course is a pre-req for some of their instructors teaching other NRA classes.

4 minutes ago, Pepper said:

I would think it would depend. I am an NRA law enforcement instructor, and I found their instruction was really well done. I am required to either attend 24 hours of non-agency conducted training within 3 years, or retake a 40 hour course for each discipline. 

Thanks for the data point.

The NRA say I am an instructor, although I'm not really an instructor. But I am a certified range officer, so I get to pay more dues and I can get on the instructor site.

I took the classes and got my cetifications for the same reason you describe, just because i wanted to. If you arent planning on training other people in the classes you get certified for i wouldnt waste the money. It does give you access to the training materials but they arent free. When i took the instructor course it was more centered on what you needed to do to teach the class, material prep, class size, and how to present the imformation to your own class. It covered the material, but only superficially.... 

Both my dad and I took the course and got certified. Haven't done anything with it. There's no reason not to. I think my dad will eventually get the RSO certification, especially once he retires, so he can have something to do. 

It wouldn't hurt There is a guy here who is a trainer. In fact, I have been trying to get the wife to take his course. He is a good trainer and makes $75.00 a person for his class. I could train the wife but it's like the saying a prophet has no respect in his country...lol. She would ask why and why can't I do this and probably tell me I am wrong...lol.  This guy is good and the results of most of the women who take his course are remarkable by the time they complete the course.

CHL trainers in Texas have to take a state course.

Edited by gshayd

I have rifle instructor, shotgun instructor, and certified RSO.  

It was a big plus in Boy Scouts.  

No reason not to. Knowledge is always good and you will learn from it.  I have a couple and while I don't teach them for money I do help a few along the way.  I use to teach Hunters Safety in Oklahoma with our gun club and that was always rewarding. 

The Fed. BOP also gave me some instruction that let me work with my coworkers there.  Looking back in all honesty all I took away from it was some massive range time and one small nugget on night shooting but then I had more experience than the instructors that taught me.  The night shooting nugget was worth the time IMHO.  I am also a national level Range Master through USPSA and that does come in handy at matches..lol

If you do get certified please gyve some feedback on your assessment of the course. 

Greg

Posted (edited)

I used to do it in the Military. The command had a team they would send to different units that requested assistance. Plus I ran ranges from the M2 to the M9 and Grenade launchers. My favorite trip is when we NCOs were going over plans and some private walked up and asked if we saluted Officers. I said yes but we don't salute a buck private. I then asked why a buck private wasn't at the position of at ease when addressing an SR. NCO. He looked at us like we were all crazy. I said Private run your hand over the front of your helmet. He did and there was no rank insignia. His collars were under his TA 50 suspenders. I asked him if he would go inside the building and check his uniform. He did and walked back out with his collars from under the Suspenders. We all saluted and chimed in with a good morning Second Lt. He turned red and fled the area.

Edited by gshayd

On 12/13/2018 at 7:27 PM, Pepper said:

I was told their is no such thing as a NRA LE instructor.....when I asked the local NRA instructor trying to find a RO  for  my  LEOSA Q.

Just now, Rampy said:

I was told their is no such thing as a NRA LE instructor.....when I asked the local NRA instructor trying to find a RO  for  my  LEOSA Q.

The certificate in my training file, and the card in my wallet would tend to prove you were lied to at some point. The "civilian" side of the NRA even tried to prevent LE instructors from teaching "civilians" and using the NRA name, now they just charge (IIRC) another $40 to be able to do so. 

3 hours ago, Pepper said:

The certificate in my training file, and the card in my wallet would tend to prove you were lied to at some point. The "civilian" side of the NRA even tried to prevent LE instructors from teaching "civilians" and using the NRA name, now they just charge (IIRC) another $40 to be able to do so. 

I totally believe it.....the "NRA" instructors around here think they walk on water and shat gold eggs.....but I needed a NRA/LE instructor to Q on the LEOSA course of fire if I could not shoot with a department & the local 2 departments are almost impossible to shoot with fo rthe Q.