srjdsmith

AR pistols

I need some general info on AR pistols. To be honest, I was never interested in a pistol, but the itch to build again...

What about the ATF? I can’t take the stock off my rifle and call it a pistol, right? So, what about building a pistol lower and using the same upper I use on my rifle lower? Is that a legal pistol? Does the 18” barrel make it NOT a pistol?

(Didn’t rules change about ‘short-barreled rifles”?) If you build a, 11.5” or 14” upper, that has to have a pistol lower?

Is a 10.5” barrel any good for 450B? What about barrel length for .223/5.56/Wilde?

A pistol lower buffer tube is “normally” rounded and sort of “padded”? (Yeah, I know. Newbie questions.) If you’re using an arm brace, does that require a normal buffer tube, or the rounded one?

Does using an 80% lower change anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AFAIK, to build a pistol AR you'll need an assembled lower that's been designated as a pistol, or a stripped lower designated as "other" on the Form 4473. You cannot turn a rifle lower into a pistol lower.

Federal law doesn't restrict barrel length on a pistol, but does have a stipulation about VFGs. I think some state laws add more restrictions regarding what qualifies as a pistol upper. Make sure to check on that.

I'm not sure how 80% lowers factor into that equation.

As earlier stated Feds don't regulate pistol barrel length but some states do for instance Ark doesn't recognize anything over 10" as a pistol . Of course the shorter the barrel the more noise so I would definitely use a linear comp if not suppressor . My favorite AR is a 12.5" 6.8 with a JAL linear comp . I prefer the KAK blade but several companies make good braces . If you start with a pistol tube and or brace on a lower marked other you can change it to a rifle and back to pistol as often as you please so every time you get a lower put a brace on it first . Best Caliber depends on intended purpose .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I have this lower

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-complete-classic-lower-with-sb-tactiacl-adjustable-brace-5165448119.html

And I swap my 10.3 upper (Ddmk18) onto it. 

I wouldn't go below 10 inches on the barrel length. That's my preference for reliability. 

Tubes are all over the place. Some braces use proprietary extensions and others are compatible with mil-spec carbine extensions. With the availability of ammunition specified as "varmint" and those designed for short barrels, there's no issues with .223 / 5.56 being used at short range to disable / dust a bad guy. If you don't roll your own (me), ammunition can be a little pricey.

Something's amiss; my sig line is showing.:D:

Edited by bamashooter