ewallover

Santa came through, Kimber 1911 .22 update

Christmas morning was complete with a firearm component for the old man. I knew it was coming, but a pleasant experience opening the box none the less! Many thanks to Sue to permit me a far more cost effective means to shoot my 1911s.

Simply removed the slide from my Kimber Eclipse Pro II (Commander sized) and slid the new upper on to the frame. Simple operation and the new Kimber magazines fit the mag well perfectly. Kimber responded to the ill fitting base plates of earlier years and it’s range ready. Going to pick up some hotter .22 LR rounds (CCI Mimi-mags, Velocitors or Stingers) to insure the mainspring is adequately exercised. The black slide looks great on the pistol. Adjustable target sights are really quite nice. Off to the range (hopefully) in the morning with my Son who is in from Wyoming (along with lovely bride and their 2 Labs)! Our house was a home at Christmas because all of my kids were there along with THREE labradors in our little house... life is good!

7d3781ceefe95b94e02d74189e40555d.jpgd4ecf3defb9ae7a08ab6cef02217a1df.jpg1137fdf1de86df955f1c66df67651c1d.jpge20fe90e72904caf0832c49b28350efb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I can’t wait to get it sighted in and run a few hundred rounds through it.  I found a magazine mod that enable 16 rounds to be loaded in the magazine.  Heck 15 would be just fine, a 33% reduction in magazine reloading would be greatly appreciated.  Nick Taylor has a new follower and spring adaptation that has had good reviews.  PA does not have a 10 round limitation like NJ, NY and CA.  So I’ll make the magazines a bit more user friendly in the next few weeks.  

• Like 1

I wonder why Kimber does not offer a 15 round option for states that do not have restrictions on magazine capacity?  Are they just being politically correct, is there a functional reason that they think 10 rounds is the best option, or do they simply want to sell more polymer magazines?  Am I being a bit too cynical...  I just would like to not have to reload so often.  It is kind of a PITA with my Remington 597 to have to load up a bunch of 10 round magazines.  The 30 round magazines are just not reliable.  Maybe reliability has something to do with Kimber’s offerings...

My Colt / Umarex / Walther / Insert Name Here magazines are 10 and 12-round capacity. Believe I have 10 of them. Emptying magazines is waay to quick.

Exactly!  I really think the Taylor Tactical upgrade kit will be a big improvement.  They have a 5 magazine upgrade kit for about $50.  I’ll pick up that kit and 2 more Kimber magazines and should be good to go.  I’ll just stockpile the original springs and followers if God forbid, we ever need to go back to 10 round maximums...

Edited by ewallover
I can’t spell...
  • Like 1

FIve rounds extra is great.   Now ...DID "YA SHOOT IT????????? :creeper:

Greg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 9:14 PM, ewallover said:

I wonder why Kimber does not offer a 15 round option for states that do not have restrictions on magazine capacity?  Are they just being politically correct, is there a functional reason that they think 10 rounds is the best option, or do they simply want to sell more polymer magazines?  Am I being a bit too cynical...  I just would like to not have to reload so often.  It is kind of a PITA with my Remington 597 to have to load up a bunch of 10 round magazines.  The 30 round magazines are just not reliable.  Maybe reliability has something to do with Kimber’s offerings...

I honestly like the 10 round mags for practice shooting at targets. I frequently only load 10 rounds in my normal (ie 15 round) mags when practicing or just range blasting.

Well, I can save a few bucks just by leaving well enough alone...  I just know that with my rifle, I’m reloading at the bench way too often...

Where's the fun in that?? :banger:

Greg

• Like 1

Very nice.  Congrats

Congratulations on the sweet conversion kit, and especially on the time with family !

Your question about the 10 round .22 mags is an interesting one.

What I can tell you is that I have a very old S&W model 41 .22 pistol that was built long before the 

spectre of limiting magazine capacity ever raised its ugly head , and the magazines hold 10 rounds. (is still accurate and runs like a top, btw) 

The same goes for a mint Hi Standard Sport King I picked up for a song because my buddy's Mom "just wanted it out of the house"  after his Dad died.

His wife did not want it as their kids were little at the time, and he really did not have any interest in guns, and it only holds 10 rounds,

and is most likely older than the Smith, but with a lot fewer rounds through it.  I actually tried to talk him out of selling it. He brought it to me first because he knew 

I was into guns, and told me it was getting sold in any event, so who am I to argue ? You can't say I did not try...

I am more likely to believe that 10 round .22 pistols today are more likely the result of "tradition" or function than any PC motives. 

Maybe it is like a magazine cut off for Military bolt actions when the Commanders didn't want the troops throwing too much precious lead down range,

and made them load single rounds ?   The 10 round mags on a .22 pistol might be to keep from shooting up a brick before you know it ? 

Or maybe the "tradition" has its roots  in competition with .22 pistols where 10 rounds was the preferred magazine loading ?     :dontknow:

It seems to me that either pistol would have the room with full length grips to hold magazines with greater than 10 round capacities. 

So I'm thinking it is based on a blend of good function and tradition.   Now you have raised my curiosity. 

Actually, if I was using the .22 for training for using your Commander .45 ACP for self defence,

I would use the exact number of rounds you use in your .45 carry gun with the .22 conversion kit . 

I would also use the same number of spare magazines in the .22 as I did in the .45, and have them on your belt in the same position as your spare .45 mag(s).

That way, you are needing a magazine change at exactly the same time, and by keeping the range "hot'  you will also be doing your speedloads  at the proper intervals,

and getting plenty of practice on those. 

Have fun ! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am inclined to shoot the gun as intended and keep the magazines set to 10 rounds.  I think I’d rather spend the dollars on a brick of .22 rounds... I really like the idea of training with 8 plus one just like the Commander size Eclipse II.  ...Just makes good sense.

Edited by ewallover
Spelling

The 10 round deal is just the original design parameters.  Nothing to do with the snti-gun conspiracy group.  I only load 5 most of the time because I'm practicing for Bullseye.  When I plink or play it's all ten.  I have 6 mags for my Match Target and 9 for my Ruger. 

Greg 

That seals it; no magazine modifications - I’m just going to shoot the gun as is...