Sign in to follow this  
MontanaLon

Ruger Precision 17 and 22 1 squirrels 0

Took the son hunting today. Right about sunset we had a squirrel go past us fast and in the brush. 10 minutes later he was in a tree behind us with a buddy. Got Mav turned around and he got his rifle up and was getting a sight picture. I was saying, "Take your time, squeeze the trigger" and bang he shot. Clean miss. But it sure got the squirrels all around us agitated. He worked the bolt to make an English Tommy proud. Bang, 1 of the squirrels took a hit. One jumped off the branch and the other sat there so I drilled it with the .17. 

Necropsy showed a burn mark across the nose which would have been Mav's shot. 17 grain Hornady Vmax hit him right in the mouth and traveled back taking everything behind the ears off into the wild blue yonder. It is one of the things I like about the .17, when they are hit they are DRT. 

Of course, the 17 also means pictures are NSFA. Not safe for Armory. Seriously, the squirrel looked like he had visited Dealey Plaza. 

Was rainy the whole day today, supposed to clear up tonight and cool off some. Nice thing is the wind will die down, we will be visiting another of the prime squirrel spots. They should be out to enjoy the sun after being cooped up in the rain today. The place is harder to get to but with the rain today the snow is all gone.  It offers longer shots in more open hardwoods with fewer pines and very little ground cover. Hopefully I can stretch the legs on the .17 a bit and give Mav more than 1 target to shoot at.

Did he look like this....

Sw5V7n3.jpg

:yukyuk:

Just the head. From the ears forward looks pretty normal. From the ear back is no longer there. Assorted gore and vital anatomy are clearly exposed to view.

I had no idea the tongue was so big on a squirrel.

If you zoom in you will see the split at the top of the head between the ears......this shot is my favorite, it sucks the body out of the hole when they only give you the head to shoot at.