calebj06

Your top 2 recipes.

Ok fellas. We need a place that has a large selection for the top recipes. And I know it’s really hard to pick just one. I’ve seen some you your stuff and it looks AMAZING. But it time to narrow it down and SHARE!  

So lets have it. Your top 2 recipes!  

Im hoping that these will be rather special. I know that for example tow truck likes to cook ribs, but I’m not sure that’s a super special recipe (unless he has some top secret method). 

So what are your top one? If you had to pass it down to the kids what would it be?  

I’m gonna have to give mine some thought tonight and I will try to post up tomorrow what my top 2 are right now. 

And btw, if you have more than 2, feel free to go ahead. I know I’ve seen more than 2 from Chili that I would love to make. 

Well, my bbq sauce recipe is a good one and has been with me for almost 40 years.....

12 oz ketchup, 1/2 white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1.5 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 squirt yellow mustard.....mix it up and put it on at the end of a cook to caramelize it a bit. 

My other go to is bbq'd chicken. Only one way to do it right. salt and pepper the pieces and bbq on medium low heat ( briquettes over gas any day) turning them over every 5 minutes. Should take 45-50 minutes to cook. Don't pull them off until the legs start to peel the meat back, breasts should split. Sauce them in the last 10 minutes to caramelize your favorite sauce on.....serve hot. 

I have a few other good one's but those two have been with me the longest and get the most raves. 

Chicken legs on the grill with Lawreys garlic salt.

set your gas grill for the lowest temp, or raise your grate up as high as it will go for charcoal, cook legs for 2 hours (minimum) turning 1/4 turn every 4 to 5 minutes, sprinkle garlic salt over them every half hour coating them all the way around, don’t worry about too much it will cook out. The meat will pull away from the bone but you want to leave them on till the skin gets crispy.

the key to this is low heat you want to render the fat under the skin to baste the legs as they cook so they won’t be dry, when the fat is gone the skin will crisp up just like you deep fried it, pop a couple cold beers while you’re cooking

• Like 1

Steak secret for a top restaurant quality. You need two things, a quality piece of meat and heat. The meat should be cut thick enough to sear without cooking done in the sear process, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch thick. I prefer a NY Strip. The steak should be room temperature, then and only then, shake one side with garlic powder, then black pepper and then cactus dust, then turn and shake coating of garlic powder and then black pepper. Cactus dust on one side only. Steaks on a platter to sit for two hours. Do Not Stick A Fork of any kind into steak, ever. Use a pair of tongs. You need a good grill capable of 700-800 degrees like a Big Green Egg, with a cast iron grill surface. Clean the grill surface with a stainless steel scrub, spray with Pam, wipe down with wad of paper towels, then respray with Pam. Pour 1 ounce of hickory liquid smoke in a spray bottle with water, shake well. Using masquite chunk charcoal only, light off the grill in center with wax blocks, with top and bottom vents full open, lid closed,  about 1 hour 15 minutes before grilling or start grilling when the grill temp gets to 800 degrees. Burp the grill lid to keep from burning yourself, spray grill down with Pam again. Put steak on grill, cactus dust side up, close lid and close top vents about 50% to control flare ups, grill for 3 minutes. Turn steaks, spray seared surface with liquid smoke mixture, close vents 50%, cook 3 minutes more, should be medium rare. Put on platter, spray w smoke mixture again, cover w foil to set for a couple of minutes. Serve with baked potato, fresh salad and your favorite beverage. A nice burgendy marinaded mushroom sauce goes well also.

Ed

PS Cut your own steaks from a loin. Learn to judge your best cuts, yourself.

• Like 1

Chicken Wangs and Brisket

On 12/30/2018 at 6:38 PM, towtruck said:

Well, my bbq sauce recipe is a good one and has been with me for almost 40 years.....

12 oz ketchup, 1/2 white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1.5 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 squirt yellow mustard.....mix it up and put it on at the end of a cook to caramelize it a bit. 

My other go to is bbq'd chicken. Only one way to do it right. salt and pepper the pieces and bbq on medium low heat ( briquettes over gas any day) turning them over every 5 minutes. Should take 45-50 minutes to cook. Don't pull them off until the legs start to peel the meat back, breasts should split. Sauce them in the last 10 minutes to caramelize your favorite sauce on.....serve hot. 

I have a few other good one's but those two have been with me the longest and get the most raves. 

You should post your jerky recipes. I could live on that stuff forever!

3 hours ago, MadeInUSA said:

You should post your jerky recipes. I could live on that stuff forever!

I'll dig them up when I get time.

My Pad Thai- made some for lunch today and it was 4 star.

Chicken Katsu with home Katsu sauce- our 4 year old would live on it if we let him.

When I get it just right Elk stew is hard to beat.

My wife and I agreed on a 4 star system for my home cooking.  

1 star- we don't want to waste food but otherwise it'd be thrown out.

2 star- it's OK and we'll eat it but not make it again.

3 star- I'd pay money for this at a restaurant. 

4 star- I'd feel confident charging money for it if my kitchen was a restaurant. 

My base recipe...copied from another post here.   I use a dehydrator to make it all dry even.

Just use the basic jerky recipe....

4 lbs meat sliced 1/8"

2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp chili powder

2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tsp onion powder

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup Worcester sauce

That is the base for all my jerky. I add whatever flavor I want to that like Franks Red hot, BBQ sauce, Teriyaki.....whatever floats your boat.

11 hours ago, towtruck said:

My base recipe...copied from another post here.   I use a dehydrator to make it all dry even.

Just use the basic jerky recipe....

4 lbs meat sliced 1/8"

2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp chili powder

2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tsp onion powder

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup Worcester sauce

That is the base for all my jerky. I add whatever flavor I want to that like Franks Red hot, BBQ sauce, Teriyaki.....whatever floats your boat.

This is almost the same as mine but I add some liquid smoke and molasses. 

Forgot my 2nd grilled item; grilled center cut pork chops. Have your chops cut 1 1/2 inches thick. Wash them thoroughly to get the bone chips from the saw off each chop. Drain them and dust them good with onion powder and black pepper on both sides. Grill them on both sides until done, medium heat, turning with tongs in opposite directions. As you turn them spray the grilled pork surface with liquid smoke mixed with water to keep them from drying out. I cook by feel, the chop should be firm to a finger but not hard. Veggies to go with, baked potato, fresh asparagus steamed or an Vidalia onion grilled in foil and butter. Peel the onion, cut top and bottom, sit on foil bring foil up, pad of butter on onion, twits foil closed, sit on back of grill 1 hour before chops go on.  If you get the chop right, it gives a steak a run for best on the grill.

Ed

On 2/9/2019 at 4:27 PM, Jaeger48 said:

My Pad Thai- made some for lunch today and it was 4 star.

Chicken Katsu with home Katsu sauce- our 4 year old would live on it if we let him.

When I get it just right Elk stew is hard to beat.

My wife and I agreed on a 4 star system for my home cooking.  

1 star- we don't want to waste food but otherwise it'd be thrown out.

2 star- it's OK and we'll eat it but not make it again.

3 star- I'd pay money for this at a restaurant. 

4 star- I'd feel confident charging money for it if my kitchen was a restaurant. 

This is funny. We rate our dinners every night. 5 star system 

1 Star- won’t eat it. Terrible 

2 star- I’ll eat it but don’t like it and never fix it again 

3 star- it’s fine. I’ll eat it. Needs a few tweaks to make it great 

4 star- you can fix this any time you want. Maybe just needs some different sides to make it top notch. 

5 stars- favorites only. (Wife’s chicken and dumplings, my ribeye steaks, ect...)

Posted (edited)

Go to Walmart

Go to the Frozen Food Section

Buy a package of Birdseye Garlick Chicken or Garlic Shrimp

Heat the 12" skillet up

Set it upon medium low

add the content of the package to the skillet.

Set the timer according to package

Go back to the recliner

Get up every 7-8 minutes and stir

Go Back to the recliner

When timer beeps it is ready.

We too had a rating system that only had two parts when I was a kid.

1. Eat

2. Go Hungry

I have modified it somewhat in my household. 

1. Eat

2. Go Hungry

3. Fis yourself a dayum sandwich.

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1