hlhneast

One Last Weekend

Florida;s WMA's are sometimes have very different rules and season dates from each other.  You have to be very careful when planning a hunt to make sure your intended prey is actually in season.  Steinhatchee Springs is one of the strangest as far as season dates.  The Wildlife Commission swears they set dates and limits after game surveys but I find this hard to believe.  The buck to doe ratio is way out of QDMA suggestions.  Last year I saw twenty does and one nubbin buck who is safe from harvest except during bow season.  He is always safe from me because I cannot bring myself to take something that young no matter how tender he may be.  This WMA has no doe days or issued doe permits so they are safe except during archery.

Steinhatchee Springs also has the strangest gun season dates of any WMA in the State as far as I know.  The season starts out normally along with the rest of the regional private and public lands.  It starts the first or second weekend of November but ends abruptly before the first weekend of December.  "We interrupt this gun season so small game hunters can harvest a squirrel or coon,"  In the mean time, deer on the neighboring hunting clubs are being run by dogs because they have no small game season interrupting their hunt until the end of January when deer season ends region wide.  After the small gamers have their month, Steinhatchee reopens to deer hunting for three more weeks.  So the deer season is four weekends in November and three weekends in January.  It is the stupidest way to run a hunting season and it confuses hunters and if there were more warden presence I am sure they would catch a few unfortunate hunters who did not look at the pamphlet.  I am thankful as we accidentally hunted out of season one day last year as the confusing of ending and opening dates can lead to mistakes.

Anyway, we have one more hunt planned for the weekend of Jan 12-13.  I am going to ask for Friday the 11th off from work and maybe even the 10th as well.  Our camp needs some work and we get down so few times we have to make the best of it.  It is a no moon weekend and may be the best weekend we had all season according to game predictions.  My buddy and I have yet to harvest anything this year but we are still seeing multiple does.  I enjoy seeing deer and knowing I could be harvesting them IF they were legal to take.  2019 archery season, they will be in trouble.  I hunted 2018 archery because I was granted a H/C permit for crossbow use, another thing legal State wide but not in WMA's.  If I had not been unfamiliar with the new weapon I would have venison in the freezer.  2019 will not see the same mistakes.

Wish me luck fellers.  Its the last hunt of the season.

I was searching for crossbow and found this thread.  I know what you mean about the legal complexity of hunting.

You have to be a lawyer to understand what and where and how to hunt in PA as well.

Would you suggest I buy a new crossbow or look for a good used one?  I don't own one now but want to get one for next fall hunting.

Edited by bj139

I would buy used IF it is a current model. You can get a great deal on a good bow between now and tax day. Watch Craig's List and do your homework.

1 hour ago, Longhair said:

I would buy used IF it is a current model. You can get a great deal on a good bow between now and tax day. Watch Craig's List and do your homework.

This

https://allentown.craigslist.org/spo/d/nazareth-barnett-recruit-crossbow-2/6823125266.html

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Barnett-78134-Tactical-Compound-Crossbow/dp/B01MSYJGS0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

or

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BARNETT-RECRUIT-TACTICAL-COMPOUND-CROSSBOW-PKG/55325379

The Walmart one I could pickup and return locally if damaged.

The used one is 80 miles round trip so I would have to pay 50% of new or less, I'm thinking.

Edited by bj139

Out of those three....I would go for the new one at Wally-World....take it home.....and shoot the snot out of it!

A couple words of warning:

DON'T SHOOT AT THE SAME SPOT TWICE! These bows shoot so well that you'll be destroying arrows by stacking them up if you "shoot for groups".

And save a few $ up for a crossbow specific target. The old Black Hole and Yellow Jacket archery targets won't cut it.

5 hours ago, Longhair said:

Out of those three....I would go for the new one at Wally-World....take it home.....and shoot the snot out of it!

A couple words of warning:

DON'T SHOOT AT THE SAME SPOT TWICE! These bows shoot so well that you'll be destroying arrows by stacking them up if you "shoot for groups".

And save a few $ up for a crossbow specific target. The old Black Hole and Yellow Jacket archery targets won't cut it.

I just ordered the one from Walmart.   Free shipping and should be here by Saturday.  Thanks.

Edited by bj139
  • Like 1

You'll be happy. Ever since WGI bought out Barnett and fired all the old engineers they've been producing some really good bows.

And many of us make our own targets. Get your hands on as many woven feed bags as you can scrounge. Then stuff one of them pretty tight with old worn out clothing (the heavier the better) w/buttons and zippers removed. It WILL stop your arrows, and they'll be easy to pull (two fingers). When it gets shot up to where it needs help, mush the insides around and drop it all into another bag.

Edited by Longhair

15 hours ago, Longhair said:

You'll be happy. Ever since WGI bought out Barnett and fired all the old engineers they've been producing some really good bows.

And many of us make our own targets. Get your hands on as many woven feed bags as you can scrounge. Then stuff one of them pretty tight with old worn out clothing (the heavier the better) w/buttons and zippers removed. It WILL stop your arrows, and they'll be easy to pull (two fingers). When it gets shot up to where it needs help, mush the insides around and drop it all into another bag.

The Barnett got great reviews and is 6 lbs instead of 9 lbs and is narrow so it should be better in the brush than some others.

My gun club has an archery target which I will check out.  I have a few feed bags I saved if I need to make my own.