MontanaLon

Time to leave Illinois

Word is the new Governor will be signing the dealer licensing act into law tomorrow. He has already said one of the main focuses of his time in office will be gun control. 

I expect Illinois will have an assault weapons ban before summer. It will probably be a registration to be grandfathered in type deal like CT got. I won't comply with a registration so the options are to leave the state or go all in on being a criminal. Easier of the 2 choices may very well be to leave the state but it will suck bad for everyone and be worse on my kids. I moved a lot as a kid. Minimum every 2 years we went somewhere else, sometimes it was more often with a shorter move, but still a move. 9 schools in 12 years. Would have been 10 in 13 years but there was no kindergarten where I was when I was at that age. I wanted to avoid moving the kids even once. But, I want for them to have a father that isn't in prison more.

That don't sound very good.

You are right, Lon.

Since I won't be paying a lot of taxes on my retirement income, 

I figured there would be a chance we could stay in Southern Illinois.

We like it here, and we are in between the two kids and their families.  

My biggest problem with the gun laws here with my personal situation,

is the inability to use suppressors. 

Registration is the end of all that. 

Although I doubt that you or I would go to prison on a first offense, 

I have other considerations that would ruin me. 

I know it is a long shot, but I will be notifying my reps and the Governor that if these laws pass

I will be leaving the State. After already losing 1 House Seat to out-migration, it is the only thing that may get these laws held up.

My concern is not enough gun owners will let their feelings known, or plan to comply, or plan to try and fly under the radar,

and want no contact with the government. 

All I can tell you guys is I moved from IL to TN and it was like moving from Nazi Germany to the USA on so many levels more than guns.  You guys can't fart without the government being involved.  Most of you all don't know it either because its been the death by a 1,000 regulations one at a time.  You're like frogs in slow boiling water. 

It was so bad when I moved, because TN did not have a state income tax, under threat of pulling my drivers license, I had to pay IL income tax the first six months I lived in TN.  My connection to IL then was nada, nothing.  I didn't get paid from there even. 

Tj

Theres still a chance its found unconstitutional. Not to mention the ISRA lawsuit.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/01/john-boch/illinois-governor-pritzker-signs-gun-dealer-licensing-bill/

"Constitutionally in Illinois, when a new General Assembly session gets sworn in, all previous bills under consideration die in a legal principle known as sine die. This year, for the first time, a Governor signed into law a measure passed under the previous General Assembly. That creates constitutional questions about the legitimacy of Pritzker’s action and the law."

• Like 1

We're looking at Tennessee pretty seriously.

They are trying to close gun dealers plain and simple because they think it will stop gun crime. I would ask the governor if he has ever seen meth selling on a store shelf? So again another law is passed that politicians promise will stop gun crime.