Ilikelegs

Time for a new hand held gps

I currently have an old DeLorme Earthmate PN-30
It's battery absolutely sucks as. But I have always taken extra batteries.

I have some tough hikes I'd like to do in the Wind River Range maybe this summer.
And my main concern is the battery.
Have been reading up on a few new ones out there.
Most are bogged down with extra crap like Blue Tooth.

So I thought I'd post the question here.

The wife runs a little Dakota and the battery only lasts about 5 hours. Enough for her rides but not enough for several rides without charging. She always has a second set of batteries just in case.  Lighting is the hardest thing for her as it can be hard to see the screen in bright sun. I wish the gps makers would make a way to turn off all the extra crap that is on them that you may not need to maybe help battery life.....I do believe the unit communicating with the satellites is the biggest draw though and the back lighting is probably second.  

I have had several Garmins over the years and loved them. I've been looking for a new one and the choices are between the MAP 64, Montana 680 or 610.

I also like the idea of the Rhino series with built in radio. Going hunting with the kids it would be nice to be able to keep track of them without being in sight of them. Maverick is pretty bold and there are places in Michigan where I have gotten myself turned around and came out miles from the truck. Being able to query the positions of the kids and talk to them would be nice.

The one the guys all swear by on the Survival Boards is the Garmin 64. 

Sorry I can't be more help than that.  I'm still using an old Magelland B&W screen that came with a topo map CD for the US.  It has limited memory so I have to load maps for where I am going but it has its benefits.  Number 1 is the thing runs for a couple days on AAs.  I also like I can preplan trips on my laptop and put in waypoints which I can use as waymarkers or I can lay out an entire route.  Its just easier on a laptop than punching all the keys on a handheld because you can see much more of the map. 

On my boat, I'm not limited by backpack so I go old school.  I use a GPS and charts.  In fact, I use a very old GPS, Magelland. use their "GoTo" function then simply follow the arrow and like sailors of old, periodically I check my position on a chart. 

Not totally sold on  Magellans new handhelds.  They're nice but geared very far to geocatching. 

Anyway I thought I'd share how I use mine so it can help you with your selection.

Tj

On 1/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, MontanaLon said:

I have had several Garmins over the years and loved them. I've been looking for a new one and the choices are between the MAP 64, Montana 680 or 610.

I also like the idea of the Rhino series with built in radio. Going hunting with the kids it would be nice to be able to keep track of them without being in sight of them. Maverick is pretty bold and there are places in Michigan where I have gotten myself turned around and came out miles from the truck. Being able to query the positions of the kids and talk to them would be nice.

Same here, the Rino is the only thing I use anymore.  I have a couple of 655t's and a 750, and they are awesome.  

I have a mount on my 4 wheeler that keeps the Garmin charged during use.

I have an old handheld garmin with simple maps on it. It lasts forever on one charge. Completely outdated now. It had maps good enough for motorcycle trips, including gas, food and hotels.

I'd stick with Garmin. Everything Garmin I've had has been great. I'm sure their under $100 stuff is hit or miss, but for real hiking their quality stuff should be high quality. 

But with all the extra crap, battery capacity goes down. I wish someone kept retro models so extra battery time would be an option. 

A Rino is what I have. It has a two way GMRS radio. 13 hours claimed for battery life. 

Can call or text other Rino users and also see their location on your map. Handy if you're dying! Otherwise you should be able to turn it off and stay hidden.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/576031#overview

Battery life also depends on how you use it. Are you on a path you need to trace your steps to get back, keeping the unit on at all times? Or only turn it on when it gets challenging or you get lost? 

I wish the mountains were closer...I miss those adventures. 

I've got an original Etrex I bought in 2000. It will run for several days on a set of batteries. It isn't super fast but aside from taking several minutes to acquire satellites when the last time I used it was 12 months ago it works like a champ.

Hell, it still has the GPS coordinates of every bunny I have shot in Michigan since I bought it. Amazing when you get to look back at all of those places and how close to each other all of the waypoints are after 15 years. Hares are serious homebodies and where one finds a good home others will too.

It doesn't get used as much getting unlost as it used to. Not sure if that is I am getting better at finding my way out of the swamps or if I just don't get as deep into them as I used to. I think before I go up next year I will buy a set of the Rhinos. And look into a headset for them so the critters can't hear it when the kid starts feeling lost.

I still have an old Magellan 2000 XL that My grandfather gave me back in the mid 90's. It's about the size of a half a brick. Just a grey screen with your track in black...no maps at all. Takes a while to get warmed up and dialed in and you have to stay moving to see which way your headed.  It has all the features of a modern one just a screen image with no map. 

8 hours ago, Casper said:

A Rino is what I have. It has a two way GMRS radio. 13 hours claimed for battery life. 

Can call or text other Rino users and also see their location on your map. Handy if you're dying! Otherwise you should be able to turn it off and stay hidden.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/576031#overview

That looks pretty nifty.

I wonder if it will also run on replaceable batteries or only off the rechargeable back ? 

If rechargeables only, you could get one of those gizmos that will charge up the rechargeable battery pack, cell phones, etc. 

7 hours ago, towtruck said:

I still have an old Magellan 2000 XL that My grandfather gave me back in the mid 90's. It's about the size of a half a brick. Just a grey screen with your track in black...no maps at all. Takes a while to get warmed up and dialed in and you have to stay moving to see which way your headed.  It has all the features of a modern one just a screen image with no map. 

Now that's funny.  That's what I use on my boat.  The "Go To" feature on that is great.  You just follow the arrow. 

5 hours ago, Retcop said:

That looks pretty nifty.

I wonder if it will also run on replaceable batteries or only off the rechargeable back ? 

If rechargeables only, you could get one of those gizmos that will charge up the rechargeable battery pack, cell phones, etc. 

Yup, you can with a battery pack accessory. Or you could also buy another rechargeable battery and charge both before trip. Not sure how efficient the AA batteries would be.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/rino750/EN-US/GUID-3F247CE2-77C1-4ABC-8C9C-B6429BF2B213.html