capnjim01

New guy starting to build an AR

Hey there, I think this is my second post on the forum, I've been lurking for a while and have actually messaged a couple of the people on here for advice. So I followed that advice and this morning the big brown truck brought me a package, PSA upper with Magpul furniture and folding front and rear sights. Ok now I'm waiting on a lower PSA with EPT. Looks like this inexpensive rifle is going to cost me more money. $300 for a case of ammo and mags and $400 for scope and mount.

Alright I guess technically this is not a build more of an assembly, but it's my first AR. When the lower arrives and I go to the range I'll report back. Thanks Tac for the help.

This forum has been so helpful and there is a great deal of information and knowledge here and I hope to learn a lot for you guys.

• Like 7

Welcome to the world of AR15's!  Just a warning...they are addictive!  This won't be your last...LOL!  Once you get BRD, there is no cure!

Hey there, I think this is my second post on the forum, I've been lurking for a while and have actually messaged a couple of the people on here for advice. So I followed that advice and this morning the big brown truck brought me a package, PSA upper with Magpul furniture and folding front and rear sights. Ok now I'm waiting on a lower PSA with EPT. Looks like this inexpensive rifle is going to cost me more money. $300 for a case of ammo and mags and $400 for scope and mount.

Alright I guess technically this is not a build more of an assembly, but it's my first AR. When the lower arrives and I go to the range I'll report back. Thanks Tac for the help.

This forum has been so helpful and there is a great deal of information and knowledge here and I hope to learn a lot for you guys.

It is still an inexpensive rifle . The ammo is technically consumables and should be removed from the equation. Welcome to the group and much success to you. I too lurked for awhile soaking in the knowledge. I have a third build in the box waiting on a caliber choice. My first build was a 5.56 in black (scary I know). Then I read that .30 was the minimum caliber for hunting whitetail (I know, shot placement is key). So I built a .300BLK in FDE. Just do not know what is next. All have been inexpensive builds. Got the bug and I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. 

BRD is not for sissies. It takes a thick wallet to feed the addition. 

3 hours ago, capnjim01 said:

Glad to see the ball rolling. Looking forward to seeing the complete build and the smile on your face. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TackleberryMCS said:

Glad to see the ball rolling. Looking forward to seeing the complete build and the smile on your face. :)

Yeah I was walking through the house with the box going "pew" "pew" "pew"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, capnjim01 said:

:bellylaf:

1 hour ago, capnjim01 said:

Now that's funny. You'll fit in well here. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

• Haha 1

Yep, I "built" a 223 Wylde and a 224 Valkyrie that way..welcome brother..

Welcome to the board. This is a great place to swap yourstories and get infpormation.

Greg

FYI 223 is legal for taking of deer in Texas. 

Maybe you got that from this:

• Pre-charged pneumatic air guns must fire a projectile of at least 30 caliber in diameter and at least 150 grains in weight with a minimum muzzle velocity of 800 feet per second or any combination of bullet weight and muzzle velocity that produces muzzle energy of at least 215 foot pounds of energy.

A bit more:

Firearms

Game animals and non-migratory game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, EXCEPT:

• Rimfire Ammunition (of any caliber) may NOT be used to hunt white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, or pronghorn.
  • Fully Automatic Firearms
  • Shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used during spring Eastern turkey season.
  • Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): there are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds).
  • Muzzleloader: any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle (as opposed to breech-loading firearms). A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only.
  • Suppressors (aka “silencers”): may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.

:welcome: aboard.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome. :anim_wave:

Be careful and don't overdose on Black Rifles......