Take note, speedo checked out at 185mph. and he's on a road course!

Looked like me on Needles Highway, but 150 mph faster..:segrin:

I am not the one to try that.

Made me sick just watching it. All I could think about was hitting something at that speed......not for me. 

TT riders are fearless.

I got tired just watching the video. That's an enormous amount of work under the unimaginable stress of survival at that speed in those conditions. Fatal mistakes in the blink of an eye are often a very real consequence.

One squirrel crosses the road, and it's over.  

6 minutes ago, Longhair said:

TT riders are fearless.

I got tired just watching the video. That's an enormous amount of work under the unimaginable stress of survival at that speed in those conditions. Fatal mistakes in the blink of an eye are often a very real consequence.

You know I could have scared the pants off that bike rider in my day....except I would have done it in an 18 wheel fuel tanker with a trailer. I totally get the rush. I had a few roads that the right truck would just carve the corners and I could get into a zone and be one with the truck and the road......total rush. I just never did anything over 80 MPH as that was top end. It wasn't so much top end speed but the ability to carve a 25 MPH corner at 60 MPH when empty. I used to carve the Feather River canyon on highway 70 and make my trainee want to get out and walk. Again it wasn't about top speed just carving the road at the vehicles maximum.  I don't have the sharp mind or eyes to do that anymore. 

That guy was off the ground in a few places for over 100 yards....that's fast.

You know, I'll admit that a little speed is a hell of a rush. As TT said, becoming one with the vehicle and the road, getting into the absolute right frame of mind, it's a blast. Give me a good high speed chase for a righteous reason, I'm in it to win it. Last night I got into a pursuit, but the top speed was something like 56 or 57 for the entire 10 miles. For part of it at 40-ish, part of me wanted to bump the guy from behind, and tell him to get on with it, let's make it a CHASE. I managed to keep that little part stamped down so no one could hear him screaming for the guy to go FASTER in the driving rain. We caught the guy, mainly because he's a mope and while he makes really stupid decisions, he doesn't make stupid enough decisions for cops to end him, or for him to really risk his hide trying to get away. 

That is an extreme case of the need for speed. 

That rider is basically a drug addict, natural brain drugs that is. 

Talk about "in the zone" !

40 minutes ago, Retcop said:

That is an extreme case of the need for speed. 

That rider is basically a drug addict, natural brain drugs that is. 

Talk about "in the zone" !

They've had telemetry on some of those guys, and the best riders are actually more excited before they get on the course than once they're out there. They calm down and relax in that mental environment just like a junkie that gets his fix. The Adrenalin triggers a Dopamine release. 

4 hours ago, Longhair said:

They've had telemetry on some of those guys, and the best riders are actually more excited before they get on the course than once they're out there. They calm down and relax in that mental environment just like a junkie that gets his fix. The Adrenalin triggers a Dopamine release. 

Yep. Every drug has its own profile. 

Thus my "in the zone reference.  I would hazard a guess the 

telemetry would have a component similar to would be seen 

with someone in a meditative state. 

I won't describe my drive to work on a dry day with with little traffic,

because it would seem so pathetic compared to the man on the Ducati going 

close to 200 mph, but there is a bit of the same element of driving a vehicle at it's limits,

when the engine is willing and the chassis and the steering are designed to accurately 

communicate the interface between driver, machine and roadway.. 

It's the same idea behind what allows a humble automobile like the Mazda MX5 to win C&D 10 best awards year after year.

It's not the horsepower or the raw speed, it is the design of a machine that can allow man and machine

feel as they are one, especially when they are driven at their limits. I have driven a squad car at high speeds a number of times, 

and it is exhilarating. It is made even more so, and requires the "in the zone" state, especially when there are several

other things you need to be doing at the same time. Trust me, I am not trying to claim I could come close to what the man on the bike 

accomplished, but I have the desire to try.  All I am saying is I can relate to why what he is doing is pleasurable, as anyone who enjoys

driving any vehicle that is enjoyable when being driven at its limits.

Note: Driving/riding a machine that requires you to select your own gears is essential to that experience. 

to the experience.. 

to the experience.

NO not me!!!!!   That is just crazy.