ewallover

Automatic knives, if there is a federal law against “switchblades”, how are automatic knives being manufactured and sold?

PA has a prohibition against the ownership or possession of any form of automatic knife.  I actually purchased a Kirshaw Launch 4 (California legal, so I figured I was ok) a year or so ago and was thrilled with the little blade.  Then I found  out I was in violation of state law and reluctantly returned it to the place of purchase.  With all the automatics being marched out at the Shot Show, how is it possible that all manufacturers of “switchblades” are not constantly being harassed by the Federal and State Governments?  I really would like to repurchase that original knife I bought, but I’m not sure I want to risk it. It was perfect for opening the mail and filling up my pocket...

Any my thoughts on what is going on here? Or, it this something local law enforcement is simply overlooking unless someone is involved with the commission of a crime?

There's no federal law against possessing them. It's regulated by state law. 

The only thing that regulates them federally is the Switchblade Act. Which mostly deals with how they are shipped, not whether they can be possessed. That being said,  most manufacturers build them so that they are exempt. If I recall correctly, as long it requires some sort of exertion to close blade it is nullified and exempt. 

But again, see your state/local laws. I want to say most places they are legal now. They only recently became legal in Texas. 

Edited by Etho

Automatic knives (switchblades) are perfectly legal in Florida. I have a bunch. The rule is you can't carry one without a CCW.

Perfectly legal in Texas now. The only restriction are location prohibited knives over 5 and one-half inches.

prohibited places. All my OTF and switchblades are unde 5 1/2 inches..so carry on. It's a blade length restriction.

Bars/Resteraunts that make over 51% alcohol might also be on the list

Polling Places

• Courthouses
  • Airports past Security Screening (all knives are already prohibited by TSA)
  • Racetracks
  • Within 1,000 feet of the premises where an Execution is being conducted, if posted
  • Sporting Events (high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic sporting event)
  • Correctional Facilities
  • Hospitals
  • Nursing Homes
  • Mental Hospitals
  • Amusement Parks
  • Churches, Synagogues and Established Places of Worship.
Edited by gshayd

I picked up my first a few weeks ago. It was a cheap Boker, just wanted to see if I like carrying an automatic. Time for me to step up to a Benchmade. I think the Boker will do for a work knife as I'm rough on them.

2 hours ago, Gmountain said:

Automatic knives (switchblades) are perfectly legal in Florida. I have a bunch. The rule is you can't carry one without a CCW.

Unfortunately that is not the case here in PA.  Not sure if the legislature will ever reverse that law.  

They were illegal here for a long time.....then we worked to have new laws passed.

So far no active legislation is in the PA house or senate. Hell, if we can purchase a pistol or secure a CCW, why not an automatic knife?  Makes little or no sense with how fast someone can deploy an assisted knife.  But I forget; these are elected officials.

Here in Mo switch blade is only legal if you only have one hand .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, ewallover said:

So far no active legislation is in the PA house or senate. Hell, if we can purchase a pistol or secure a CCW, why not an automatic knife?  Makes little or no sense with how fast someone can deploy an assisted knife.  But I forget; these are elected officials.

There are knife rights organizations. Contact them and see if they're willing to take up the fight in PA. They came to Texas and we have virtually zero knife laws now. Compared to a few years ago and we had some seriously awful knife life. 

• Like 1

THX, will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I went to Knife Rights website and found out that the only federal legislation on auto was repealed in 2018 by their lobbying. So it is 100% up to the states. 

https://kniferights.org/

Wyoming law does not prohibit the ownership of any type of knife.

It is illegal to conceal carry a deadly weapon in Wyoming. (CCP permit only covers pistols)

Neither the Wyoming statutes, nor the case law, offer a definition of any type of knife. This is likely due to the fact that the conceal carry statute does not mention any specific knife, but makes it illegal to conceal carry any ‘dangerous weapon’.

Wyoming statute defines deadly weapon as a firearm, explosive or incendiary material, motorized vehicle, an animal or other device, instrument, material or substance, which in the manner it is used or is intended to be used is reasonably capable of producing death or serious bodily injury. Serious bodily injury is also defined by statute as bodily injury which creates a substantial risk of death or which causes miscarriage, severe disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any body part or organ.

In Conine v. State, the jury found that a frying pan, used by Conine to hit the victim during a fight, was a deadly weapon. Conine appealed his conviction, and the Supreme Court of Wyoming found that in order to find an instrument a deadly weapon, it did not have to cause serious bodily injury, it only had to be capable of doing so.

§ 6-8-104.  Wearing or carrying concealed weapons; penalties; exceptions; permits.

(a) A person who wears or carries a concealed deadly weapon is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six (6) months, or both for a first offense, or a felony punishable by a fine of not more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00), imprisonment for not more than two (2) years, or both, for a second or subsequent offense….

It is illegal to conceal carry a deadly weapon in Wyoming.

It is legal to own and open carry any type of knife.

There is no federal law regarding the manufacture, and sale of "switchblade" auto-knives.  That being said, it is against the law; to ship these knives via the U. S. Postal Service within the CONUS.  Unless, your an approved 'purchasing agent', or a 'logistics procurement officer' and your organization is letterhead-approved by the vendor to receive shipments by mail  (e.g., LEOs, or military).  It is entirely up to you, to comply with all local laws regarding ownership, and usage of these blades.  They can be wholly shipped legally by UPS, FedEx, and private carriers of all types.  Most 'assisted-opening' folders are just as fast, as full-auto openers.  Their manual of operation, has nothing to do with their utility, or lethality.  These are inane laws; passed in the mid-fifties, by politicos who wanted to address the problem of 'juvenile delinquency' vividly depicted in Hollywood movies like the Blackboard Jungle, and Rebel Without A Cause.  As mentioned, 'knife rights' organizations are actively overturning this legislative 'silliness' one state at a time.  I just purchased an 'auto' a month ago, and it shipped by private carrier to my house in record time.   

20 hours ago, Etho said:

Also I went to Knife Rights website and found out that the only federal legislation on auto was repealed in 2018 by their lobbying. So it is 100% up to the states. 

https://kniferights.org/

...and Pennsylvania is totally out of step with the positions  of kniferights.org.  In fact, the newly re-elected Governor is now hell bent on confiscation of all semi-automatic firearms across the board in the Commonwealth.  This poor schmuck has not a clue how deeply guns and bibles are rooted in the majority of this State.  PA is nearly a carbon copy like the geographic US continent; the east and west are anchored by liberal cities and the residents in the wide fly-over central part of the state are as conservative as they come. These politicians are either clueless or they are simply baiting someone to take the law into their own hands to resist this unchecked tyranny.  Either way, the outcome will not be pleasant unless the SCOTUS puts an end to the constant erosion of the 2nd amendment.