MontanaLon

I need a lathe and maybe a mill

Metal shop was one of my favorite classes in school. I was pretty good with the lathe. The mill always intimidated me. It will be for small projects. I don't plan on turning barrels and stuff like that, at least not rifle barrels. But I could see a .17 blank turning into a barrel for the PMR-30. Not sure that would work but the trying would be fun for sure.

I've been watching the local for sale stuff, I don't need anything fancy and would be fine with something built back in the 40's that was in good shape. That was what I learned on back in the day.

Just something to pass the time puttering around.

• Like 1

Wish you needed a mini-lathe.  I've sure got a nice one.

Good luck Lon

I hope to build a shop with all the metal working stuff. I refuse to start getting stuff until we find our forever home. I'm tired of moving heavy stuff. I had a chance (9 years ago) to get a 3 phase lathe for scrap price, but it was crazy big.

51 minutes ago, Chris645 said:

Wish you needed a mini-lathe.  I've sure got a nice one.

Well, tell me about it. I might be interested in starting small and your experience with it may sway my decision.

50 minutes ago, md65636 said:

Good luck Lon

I hope to build a shop with all the metal working stuff. I refuse to start getting stuff until we find our forever home. I'm tired of moving heavy stuff. I had a chance (9 years ago) to get a 3 phase lathe for scrap price, but it was crazy big.

One of the local shops had a lathe that needed rebuilt they were willing to give away if you could haul it away. It was huge, probably weighed a couple tons. It was way more than I could move or find a place for. The bed was like 60 inches long with a 24 inch swing. They replaced it with a CNC machine and just wanted it gone. 

10 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

Well, tell me about it. I might be interested in starting small and your experience with it may sway my decision.

One of the local shops had a lathe that needed rebuilt they were willing to give away if you could haul it away. It was huge, probably weighed a couple tons. It was way more than I could move or find a place for. The bed was like 60 inches long with a 24 inch swing. They replaced it with a CNC machine and just wanted it gone. 

That's a good size.

I have an uncle who wants me to get one so he can rebuild it.

Lon,

What I did was to ask about mills in local machine shops, finally one came up, a 70s J head 3hp Bridgeport with a dial speed adjustment and a 48 inch motorized table. I did not have a place for it at the time asked the owner if he could hold it in one of his warehouses, if I paid him up front, which he did. When I got my shop finished, I picked it up with my heavy trailer. I had the shop built with a 10 ft roll up, insulated and sealed door. It gave me enough clearance to use my tractor’s front end loader to pick up the Bridgeport and back it into the shop, place the mill and level it. I had the shop electricians wire the rotary phase converter and rewire the mill so it would work as designed, forward, reverse and the table. Just have patience.

Ed

• Like 1

Hey Lon, want an excuse to come back to MT?  MSU just built a new engineering building and upgraded all their machines.  AFAIK, they're selling all their old manual lathes and Bridgeports.  6 of each, I think.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 12:28 AM, UMDCornholio said:

Hey Lon, want an excuse to come back to MT?  MSU just built a new engineering building and upgraded all their machines.  AFAIK, they're selling all their old manual lathes and Bridgeports.  6 of each, I think.

It might be worth it. I've been scouring craigslist and they are either complete junk that needs to be scrapped or the owner really doesn't want to sell and has priced accordingly.

I've got the feelers out to some junker friends to be on the lookout. What I am finding is the tooling, particularly measuring tools are going to be expensive unless I really hit the flea markets and other junk outlets looking for them.

But the more I think about it the more I may just save the money and put it into getting out of Illinois. They are going full retard here, it is time to pull the plug before the whole state looks like Detroit.

Not sure what you're looking for or how much you want to spend, but if you don't mind the drive there are some advertised on CL not far from here that are pretty nice and not too expensive.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/d/farmington-south-bend-lathe/6817173949.html

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/d/warren-logan-lathe/6811124849.html

That Logan is pretty nice looking. Looks like it has lived an easy life and been taken care of. The South Bend looks a little over motored and seems to have a lot going on up top with the transmission. Not sure about that whole setup being original. Not a deal breaker if it works though.

I'd really like to spend $1000 or so. Have to keep in mind the power supply too. I am on single phase service so getting a phase converter will be an additional cost if I can't find a single phase machine.

I did find a nice mill and went and looked at it. When I saw the price of $500 I was expecting it to be a dog but it was nicer than expected but it was missing the vertical head so it was just a horizontal mill. If I were looking to do a bunch of horizontal milling it would have been perfect. But I can't see a horizontal mill being super useful to me.

One reason that I posted those links is because both of those machines are single phase.

I figure that 4-$5000 will buy what I'd like, but I have a bunch of stuff to get rid of before that can happen.

46 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

That Logan is pretty nice looking. Looks like it has lived an easy life and been taken care of. The South Bend looks a little over motored and seems to have a lot going on up top with the transmission. Not sure about that whole setup being original. Not a deal breaker if it works though.

I'd really like to spend $1000 or so. Have to keep in mind the power supply too. I am on single phase service so getting a phase converter will be an additional cost if I can't find a single phase machine.

I did find a nice mill and went and looked at it. When I saw the price of $500 I was expecting it to be a dog but it was nicer than expected but it was missing the vertical head so it was just a horizontal mill. If I were looking to do a bunch of horizontal milling it would have been perfect. But I can't see a horizontal mill being super useful to me.

VFD's are the way to go if you end up with a 3 phase machine. 220V in, variable speed with full power across all speed ranges. And VFD's are not crazy priced these days.

15 hours ago, Flesh Wound said:

VFD's are the way to go if you end up with a 3 phase machine. 220V in, variable speed with full power across all speed ranges. And VFD's are not crazy priced these days.

I am seeing that. Looking at new machines now. Thinking maybe a combo lather mill. Seeing some that would probably work for around $2500. Hmmm.

12 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

I am seeing that. Looking at new machines now. Thinking maybe a combo lather mill. Seeing some that would probably work for around $2500. Hmmm.

I would not get a combo machine. You'll just end up with a thing that does neither job well.

• Like 1