Longhair

FIRST LOOK: The Daniel Defense DELTA 5 Bolt-Action Rifle

I know they make quality firearms.  Don't think I could justify spending that coin on a rifle like that when I can get a tack driver for 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, newbe said:

I know they make quality firearms.  Don't think I could justify spending that coin on a rifle like that when I can get a tack driver for 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

That. One word currently comes to mind. Ruger.

And a gun that already has all of those features and then some, the T/C Dimension. Which as far as I have seen has been a flop at 1/4 the price. I am sure the DD is a nice rifle and will be accurate as all get out but will it be 4 times the price better than everything else?

There will be plenty of guys shooting them, you can be sure of that, but will they be shooting 4 times better or will the just have spent 4 times as much to shoot the same?

• Like 2

Sorry, but you're not going to get a precision chassis rifle with the flexibility to change barrels like that for the price of a Ruger or a T/C.

The guys that will buy them will also be running S&B or Kahles optics that cost another 1K$ more than the rifle.

1 hour ago, newbe said:

This is what i was thinking, along with what market segment DD was going after.

Even the lightest weight is listed at just shy of 9 pounds, and then oddly, every caliber they offer so far

is heavier than 9 pounds...

So put a scope on it, and with that unwieldy buttstock, I don't see it being used for hunting except maybe from a ground blind.

It also does not seem to be tricked out like the PRS folks want, so want exactly is DD shooting for  ?

Quality is one thing, functional design is another. 

Maybe someone could enlighten me as to what niche this rifle is supposed to fill.  

1 hour ago, Longhair said:

Sorry, but you're not going to get a precision chassis rifle with the flexibility to change barrels like that for the price of a Ruger or a T/C.

The guys that will buy them will also be running S&B or Kahles optics that cost another 1K$ more than the rifle.

I'm sure it has nice features.

My comment was in reference to tack driving capability.  

I have some fairly expensive optics on my precision rigs as well.  Doesn't mean you have to spend $2,200 on the base rifle though.  Just means you'll have more $$ left over for a nice optic.  :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, newbe said:

I have some fairly expensive optics on my precision rigs as well.  Doesn't mean you have to spend $2,200 on the base rifle though.  Just means you'll have more $$ left over for a nice optic.  :thumbsup:

My point was that people who will spend $2,200 on the rifle will be the same ones who won't think twice about plunking down over $3K for their glass.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Longhair said:

My point was that people who will spend $2,200 on the rifle will be the same ones who won't think twice about plunking down over $3K for their glass.

I'm sure that's very true.

Police snipers would be one market.

Bench rest shooters would be another. 

For you guys who are into medium to long range scopes on their hunting rifles:

If you start with 8.9 or 9.5 pound rifle, then bolt on the off center rail required,

then add rings and scope, what kind of weight are you talking ? 

Something you want lug up and down a mountain ? 

Is this the type of rifle that would be used in the precision rifle competition ?

I fully understand wanting to own a rifle just because it is very accurate and well made. I do. 

(I lost count of the # of times they said "carbon fiber" in their video) 

Were you aware the stock was made from carbon fiber ?   

It's personal preference, but with rail rings and scope, that is not the rifle I'm going to want to be lugging around the woods,

For those who want a bench rest gun that is easy to swap barrels on, I see the advantage to that. Choice of caliber families and replacing shot out barrels.

Although the calibers they opened with are not known for being hard on barrels. 

With my limited knowledge of PRS, it does not look like anything I have seen reviewed as the cat's meow for that duty. 

So we have a $2,200.00 bench rest rifle with a barrel change procedure that doesn't require a gunsmith, 

and a potential police sniper rifle if it is accurate and durable enough, and DD's police marketing division 

is good at convincing PD's to switch to something different than what they are using now.

Or a hunting rifle if you're into weight lifting, or you drive up to your ground blind. 

If I'm wrong about PRS shooters or what weight and style of guns most hunters want to take into the woods with them

these days, I wish somebody would set me straight. I like DD AR's, and I imagine this bolt action is quality built. 

I'm just not seeing the point, other than bench rest shooting, not the "do everything" rifle they are claiming it to be.  

Maybe I'm just too big of a wuss to want to hump a close to 11 pound  (or more) rifle (when scoped) up a mountain to hunt with. 

Is there a certain Class in PRS it could dominate  ?  

F class shooters will like it. And my new Howa is 9lbs naked (I'll weigh it fully dressed when I complete it). It's not overly heavy for the type of rifle that it is.

For the most part, these are "shoot far, don't walk far" guns, but I wouldn't have a problem with humping it to a set for hunting.

Will be the kind who won't even bat an eye at the costs. I doubt I'll ever be in a situation where money did not make a decision in my purchases.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 3:45 PM, newbe said:

exactly