capnjim01

New guy building a rifle 2.0

Ok ammo and mags came yesterday, picked up the lower receiver this afternoon and began putting things together. Some of you will recall that I am an absolute newbie with ARs. Couldn't at least one of  you have told me that if your not careful you can pinch the s### our of your pinky if you get it caught between upper and lower when you getting the rear pin lined up.

I was able to go by Academy(I had a gift card) and compare the Vortex Sparc, 1x6 Strike Eagle, and the Strike Fire. The Sparc had a red flare in the bottom left that just made everything kind of blurry and the dot was really small so it was a no go. I really wanted the Strike Eagle but the cross hairs /reticule was just to small, getting old sucks and I didn't feel comfortable with it. Maybe if I had it mounted on a rifle it might be better. So I bought the Strike Fire, dot is big and bright enough to pick up easily, with the gift card I only paid 29 buck out of pocket plus tax ok call it $44.

The bad news, other thank catching my pinky is with the weather and work schedule it may be a week to 10 days before I can go to the range. Any way I'm going to mount the MBUS and the scope tonight. I asked my wife if I could sleep with it in the bed and that was a firm negatory. She did compromise and said I could bring it to bed and watch Hawaii 5 O just in case the guys ran in to trouble I could help them out.

I want to thank everyone for their input and help especially Tackleberry, and Retcop, and bamashooter for their input on the scopes.

Pic to follow in a few days but for those you just can't wait juts google AR15 red dot and it will look very similar to a thousand other ARs

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Congrats on the progress. I think you'll like the StrikeFire. Bright red or red/grn?

Tip of the Day: Watch that pinky! :tiphat:

Red/grn didn't even check the box until got home today there is a little spot over to the left in the dark and cloud cover but I guess it isn't an IR for, $300 total I can't complain.

So for $564 out of my pocket, including the scope and transfer fee I think I did ok for a first time.

Oh and Tac thanks for the heads up on the EPT, I don't have anything to compare it to but there is very little take up, no grit, breaks clean. It's about 2.5lbs pull. Ok I made the last part up.

• Like 1

Ok help, I'm trying to install the rear MBUS and it's a no go, slide on a couple of mm and that's it even tried tapping with a rubber mallet. Any advice

Edited by capnjim01

Take the cross-bolt out?

:creeper:old but not that old yeah I took it out. Have been looking on youtube and a few folks had ones that were hard but with a little wiggling they went in. Other folks online had problems similar to mine, so I try again tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll see what Palmetto says. Maybe I got one where the tolerance is to tight.

I tried a little WD40 and heating the sight up with a bulb form a lamp to make it expand a little. I even though about using some fine sand paper to make the opening a little larger.

Not that you should need to, have you tried with the sight open and closed? If you have the front one installed, remove it and try on the rear and try the rear sight to the front. You don't have the Pro, you have the polymer MBUS, correct? Have you tried a little lube and a plastic mallet, or some other non-marring method? Never seen one that wasn't super easy. Check for burrs on MBUS and rail. Try it backwards too.

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 1

Congratulations on putting the final pieces together !

I have always loved guns it seems, from cap gun pistols, to a lever action "pop gun" 

that would actually launch dirt and small rocks if you plugged the barrel. 

From there it was a BB gun, and there was no return. After doing a lot of pheasants, rabbits, and clays with 

a 20 gauge SxS Sterlingworth Fox.  I saved my money from my afterschool job for many months, and bought a .308 hunting rifle,

and put a peep sight on it.  From there I bought the most basic reloading kit in the world,  and decided this hunting rifle was gonna be as accurate 

as a bench rest rifle, and I was gonna be a good enough shot to bag the dream elk I was after.

The point to all this is how much you are going to enjoy shooting that AR. 

There is virtually no recoil, and the standard round magazines give you a warm fuzzy feeling by the time they are empty. The 

fact that you made it yourself make all the sweeter. It's a real rush.

Congratulations and have fun !

• Like 2

Congrats  :thumb:

Ok guys I'm still waiting for the weather to break, 31 degrees and snow flurries in east Texas this morning, so I can get to the range. I've started to field strip my AR and it looks like everything is pretty clean, no packing grease or anything like that. So I'm waiting for the Big Brown to brings me a few things, Tipton cleaning rod, SLIP 2000 ELW( I googled that, Extreme Lethal Weapon, so masculine and toxic sounding), Break free CLP and some Purple Loctite.

I'm thinking of running a brush with CLP down the barrel, from chamber towards the front and then a patch with SLIP, followed with SLIP on the bolt, charging handle and a few points of contact and a little SLIP on the trigger and calling it a day.  Any other suggestions? thanks guys for all the help and advice you've given me.

I thoroughly clean all new firearms which gives me the opportunity to do a little looksie at assorted assemblies and parts. I then follow that with a light lube here, a bit more there, etc. When it comes to the bcg, I'm a run it a bit wet-type. Personal preference.

What became of the rear MBUS deal?

Thanks bama.

I put an ice pack on the rear of the rail and after letting it sit for  a few minutes I was able to push the sight on a little further, tap again with a plastic hammer and it slid on far enough I could get it in a slot problem solved, but I did have another one.  Remember NEW GUY WITH AR. I thought the sight radius was kinda short until I realized in my haste I had installed the front sight on the rail of the receiver. Mounted to the front of the hand guard rail now gives a better radius.

Go ahead guys have a good laugh:ROFLLMAO:

• Like 2

Sounds like it's working out. Man, I've never seen a MBUS that tight. I've had a VFG or two that required a light tapping but never a sight.

Well it is the polymer sights so maybe there was a problem with the molds, cooled down to fast or something.

4 hours ago, capnjim01 said:

Well it is the polymer sights so maybe there was a problem with the molds, cooled down to fast or something.

Being a cheap bastiage, that's all I use.:segrin:

• Like 1