towtruck

Sage rat season is fast approaching.....

......And I'm trying to get things ready. I have to burn up a bunch of leaded ammo this year so I packed up 1600 of the 2000 rounds of leaded center fire ammo I have loaded. I have 1600 rounds of 20p and 400 rounds of .223 to shoot up.  I am going to concentrate on getting those rounds shot up before I work on the 4000 rounds of leaded 17 HMR I have. I figure I can trade out the 17's for lead free down the road verses getting stuck with a bunch of center fire stuff that only shoots in my guns. 

I do have more leaded pills for the 20's if I have a great shooting year and use lots of ammo. If I don't get to those new box's of pills I will sell them off too and replace them with lead free. I can shoot lead until the end of June. 

My newest 20p upper is ready to go and I will take it with me but I want to hold off shooting it much as all the rounds (2000) that I made for it are lead free already. 

I need to pull the uppers out and give them a quick clean and lube and pull the Savage .223 out and do the same to it. The 17's need a fresh oiling and I forgot I was going to polish up the chamber in the Marlin 917 and never got around to it. I have to find the time to do that so it will shoot more than 200 rounds without needing a cleaning. The Savage 17 is ready to go. 

I will take my beater 22lr just for a quick shooter for close ones. I need to pull the tires off my BBQ trailer and put them back on the assassination trailer and pull that trailer out and unload the quad and make sure it runs. I will be using the quad and my swivel chair more this year as getting the Blazer stuck is not going to be an option this year :bellylaf:. I will only shoot off the trailer when I can get it into position without risking getting stuck. I still have not cleaned the mud off the trailer from last years mishap. 

We just had a really good snow storm and a good cold spell but I have information that the critters are coming out already on nice days. I am going to make a run in the next couple weeks to knock on doors and make contact with my farmers and see where I'm at for places to shoot.  I'm going to hit up a couple new spots that I have been told will let me shoot. One of these places is owned by a guy that knew my uncle....so that is the ice breaker for getting on that ranch. The hunters are getting thicker in my area because the ranchers are poisoning more. I'm hoping the pending lead ban will thin them (shooters) out this year a bit. 

I'm hoping for a good season...time will tell. 

Well, the never ending rain and snow has put a big damper on my hunting. This weekend would have been the only dry sunny weekend so far this season to hunt. The fields are still way too wet to get into other than on foot and even that is tricky. I ended up being out of town all week and catching a bad cold that has sidelined me for this weekend. Next weekend is more rain in the forecast. I cannot get onto my property yet as the melting snow and added rain has made it too wet to even try. I don't see me getting into any fields until April and even then it may be later in the month. 

I need to visit some of my ranchers before I shoot to touch base with them and make sure my welcome is still there. I'm sure I will make a few trips this year but as of now it's not looking like I'm going to be tearing them up very much as I have a ton of stuff I need to do at home and on my property once it dries out. 

My plan of burning up all my leaded ammo before July is most likely out the window......looks like I will have a bunch of rounds to tear down. 

Looks like our rain finally quit for a while.  Suppose to be dry and nice all week.  Finally.  We will pay for this, though.

This weekend was beautiful. Being sick I did not get much done but I did mow the yards, burned the brush I had stacked up, and gave the horses a bath. Tomorrow I have to go talk to my union, find the mobile windshield repair guy and get a chip fixed in my Blazer windshield. The rain will be back Tues. night.

The sage rat areas on the east side of Oregon are still under snow. I'm not sure how the alfalfa crops are going to be this year, probably not going to get as many cuttings. 

I was up north last weekend and it was snowing...never even went over the hill to check it out.....and a quick look over at the mountain by my property from town and I knew not to bother even going by to see if I could get in. I thought two years ago was bad for weather...this year has it beat and it's still storming. 

The city of Bend got something like 30" of snow within 2 days a few weeks ago. Couple of storms have blown through since then, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't still have a foot of snow throughout most of the city. This is the latest time for these storms that I can ever remember. Winter started off slow, but it's finishing strong, that's for sure. I will say, I enjoyed 70 degrees today, and it's supposed to be nice tomorrow. I'm hoping to get out and get some work done around the house before it rains on Wednesday. 

I talked to another farmer today up in my shooting area and the winter was so bad up there it wiped out almost all the critters. I never made it up to hunt this year and I did not miss anything. Hopefully next year brings a few back to shoot but the farmers are happy they all died for sure. I have not pulled a trigger in so long it's going to take me a day just to get my skills back.  

It's similar here with woodchucks. The rain isn't letting up, and between flooding and crops getting planted late (if at all) has really set back my hunts.

I did just today see a big chuck meandering up the side of a hill in a bean field that just coming up. That bugger will be one of my targets as soon as I can get a crack at her.

I talked to a friend today that invited me to his ranch to shoot ground squirrels. These are the big brown dirt digging bastiages that really tear things up around a ranch. I am going to make a trip in the next few weeks to go shoot them. I might go next week as I have to burn some time before the end of the month. I need to get my cell phone mount for my gun dialed it and will have to get some action shots when I go. 

• Like 3

Well?

Greg

1 hour ago, GLShooter said:

Well?

Greg