Sign in to follow this  
Rampy

Rugged Obsidian 45 Suppressor

Ordered one from Suppressor Shop & am clue less about how you attack the can to the firearm.

Primary use will be for a 9mm  Scorpion EVO 3 S1 pistol and a SOLGW AR15 Pistol in 300 blackout.

How does one go about screwing the can to the barrel........

Do you have the piston installed? (assuming direct thread, the bottom left hand of the picture shows the exposed portion of the piston with female threads) 

rugged_obsidian_rear_1200x800.jpg

Also, if your can is using the Nielsen device, if it's anything like the one I have, for a fixed barrel, you will want to run a fixed barrel spacer.  Or, in your case, it appears to be

If you're running a 3 lug barrel:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnUYlj8eAn7TAICP9ghrE

Or something like this for direct thread:

opplanet-rugged-suppressors-obsidian-45-

The Nielsen device, due to the extra mass from the suppressor, is a booster which allows the handgun to cycle while the can is attached.

Since the Scorpion and the AR are both fixed barrels, you won't need the Nelson Device.

If you intend to screw it on, direct thread, then you won't need anything else special as long as they're both 5/8-24 threaded.

Personally, I would look into their QD adapters, and then get two (male side). Rate of fire out of what you're shooting will heat that dude up pretty quickly, and a QD attachment along with a high-temp cover is going to be a lot quicker and more pleasant to take off. Particularly handy if you don't want to have to let it cool down between changing weapons.

At this time the can has been paid for & paperwork submitted, so the waiting game in on...........

This is what it comes with:

• .578×28 Piston (fits most standard .45 Auto threaded barrels)
  • 45 Front Cap
  • Obsidian 45 Suppressor
  • ADAPT Module
  • Operator’s Manual
  • Obsidian Logo Sticker

From what I understand I can get a 3 lug barrel for the Scorpion EVO and it's got e1/2x28 threads and the AR has 5/8x24 threads that fit a fixed mount

Fixed-Mount-1-600x600.jpg

Well there you go! :thumb: A three-lug for the Scorpion, and the 5/8-24 for the AR, and you're in business!

Now check out this guy for a cover.

https://precisionundergroundriflegear.com/

That's what I'd do.  I went 3 lug on my machinegun because direct thread can be a pain to deal with, always having to make sure it's not coming loose.  I remember watching a video of a guy demonstrating the point of impact shift his suppressor was giving between being fully tightened, and about an 1/8 of a turn loose. It wasn't an insignificant shift either.     

Like Longhair said, just swap it over to the 5/8x24 fixed barrel mount for the .300.

6 hours ago, Longhair said:

Well there you go! :thumb: A three-lug for the Scorpion, and the 5/8-24 for the AR, and you're in business!

Now check out this guy for a cover.

https://precisionundergroundriflegear.com/

I have one of his ELR rear bags.  I really like it.  He’s making some good stuff, and selling a bunch of his stuff over on that snipery site.  He started out with a sewing machine, and wanting to make a better rear bag than what’s available, selling a couple on the hide.  Im going to get one of his Comp Bags next.  

And yes, lots of good reviews on his suppressor covers.  

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out the 3 lug vs screw on vs quick mount and for whatever reason Rugged does not recommend the 3 lug on a fixed barrel like the Scorpion or the AR & they favor screw on cans. Seems the attachment styles are varried and making my head hurt, but I've got a few month to learn what the heck they are and how they work.....