Flesh Wound

Don't be an 'arrow stopper'.

Couldn't agree with that article any more, Flesh Wound.  Of course, one never actually knows "when the time comes" whether or not he will be up to the task.  I guess only time will tell.

I have a lot to work on.

At  nearly 66 with a highly arthritic ankle that can be debilitating at times, especially when the weather changes,  not sure if that 8 minute mile will ever be in the cards.  But there are things that can be done.  Problem is, I’m not sure where to start...I run my own business, tend to be fiercely independent and really see no need to or benefit from retiring, hell, I’ve got things yet to accomplish.  I watch all of the chaos from sea to shining sea and know in my heart that I better keep my powder dry.  Who know where this all will end.  I’ve tried to raise my kids to think, react decisively and to prepare; and my wife and I try to practice what we preach.  That article really makes one think; have I done enough?

• Like 1

When the time comes some of the folks you thought would stand and be counted will not. Some of those you didn't have any faith in will stand up and be counted. Seen it first hand. When the bird took of from America everyone had doubts. Then you hit the ground and either deliver or don't.

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ewallover said:

At  nearly 66 with a highly arthritic ankle that can be debilitating at times, especially when the weather changes,  not sure if that 8 minute mile will ever be in the cards.  But there are things that can be done.  Problem is, I’m not sure where to start...I run my own business, tend to be fiercely independent and really see no need to or benefit from retiring, hell, I’ve got things yet to accomplish.  I watch all of the chaos from sea to shining sea and know in my heart that I better keep my powder dry.  Who know where this all will end.  I’ve tried to raise my kids to think, react decisively and to prepare; and my wife and I try to practice what we preach.  That article really makes one think; have I done enough?

I've got that arthritis so bad in the back it's not funny and will never make a 30 min mil again in my life........get out and do things.....influence people, talk to people, spread your knowledge....

Retire, travel, see America, do what you've dreamed of doing, pay others to run your business if you must & dabble part time, but get out, get away, even if it's just to pamper yourself and your family.....

Must be things you've wanted to see and do, travel, to the house, snowbirds, whatever it is.....make it happen......I've driven I25 North to Billings Montana from Casper and back a few times and nothing is as relaxing and seeing this great country......meeting people, talking to people, getting away from the internet and taking the pulse of America......it's eye opening and refreshing.....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rampy said:

I've got that arthritis so bad in the back it's not funny and will never make a 30 min mil again in my life........get out and do things.....influence people, talk to people, spread your knowledge....

Retire, travel, see America, do what you've dreamed of doing, pay others to run your business if you must & dabble part time, but get out, get away, even if it's just to pamper yourself and your family.....

Must be things you've wanted to see and do, travel, to the house, snowbirds, whatever it is.....make it happen......I've driven I25 North to Billings Montana from Casper and back a few times and nothing is as relaxing and seeing this great country......meeting people, talking to people, getting away from the internet and taking the pulse of America......it's eye opening and refreshing.....

Who are you and what have you done with Rampy? :segrin:

• Like 2

I know that drive well. My son lives 12 miles south of Buffalo just west of I25 just a few miles north east from Crazy Woman Canyon.  Billings is in his territory as is Casper. (He is known in every fly shop and gun shop in both towns and in between.)  Now, HE KNOWS HOW TO LIVE!

In my heart I know you are right, but I’ve been working for myself and my family for so long, I’m not sure I’d know how to act without the office, lol!  Spending more time in Wyoming is a definite must, but with that cold snap you just had, my wife has expressed some real reservations about the winters out there.  My response was “layers” and 4-wheel Drive!

Edited by ewallover

Good article.

I plan to retire in June not so I can stop working but so I can get out there and do something.  Being nailed to a desk is going to kill me as fast as being nailed to a bed. 

That said, I'm not really retiring.  I'll retire from my job and go back in business for myself again except this time the goal is one day a week at most and that one day can be from anywhere there's cell phone service.   Winter and daylights savings time is an SOB for me.  I'm an outdoors type and dark, cold, wet, doesn't work well for me.

I absolutely haven't worked this all out.  What I've done is made a decision and will deal with it as I have many times in life. 

Tj

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ewallover said:

I know that drive well. My son lives 12 miles south of Buffalo just west of I25 just a few miles north east from Crazy Woman Canyon.  Billings is in his territory as is Casper. (He is known in every fly shop and gun shop in both towns and in between.)  Now, HE KNOWS HOW TO LIVE!

In my heart I know you are right, but I’ve been working for myself and my family for so long, I’m not sure I’d know how to act without the office, lol!  Spending more time in Wyoming is a definite must, but with that cold snap you just had, my wife has expressed some real reservations about the winters out there.  My response was “layers” and 4-wheel Drive!

We ate at the Cafe in Buffalo, good eats and large portions. Have a silencer on order and will be getting it in Sheridan at Big Horn Trading.....

Sheridan has a really nice year round gun club & the daughter is taking another course there & they have a indoor pistol range.....Magpul has a ranch over in Gillette they hold classes at & so some serious long range shooting...Steve Fisher is doing a 1 day shotgun and 2 day handgun course in Nun Colorado & that;s about 50 miles from Cheyenne into Co this fall......

I hate that I' retired/disabled/broke, but at the same time am taking advantage of it to travel, see the country and old friends.....I'd like to mve to Florida and then bounce back and forth beterrn hoe and Merritt Island.....the more I travel the more I realize how little I know and that just fuels my desire to travel more.....

I agree with the article and have been telling my close friends & family we ARE heading to another civil war which will make the one in the 1800's look like a rival high school football game. The twist i see comming is this time around all our outside enemies are ready to jump in and attempt to end our way of life for good. They are already planting themselves in congress to weaken laws to allow help into this country......just as they are doing in Europe. It will be the crusades on a global scale. I am not a doomsday prepper but i see things everyday in person that show me that the number of people working to divide instead of unite is growing, not only at the national level but locally too. 

• Like 1

Frightening isn’t it.  What have we left for our children and our grandchildren.  All of this rancor breaks my heart to think of what my Dad and his Brother (hell an entire generation of American boys) sacrificed for us in the Pacific and Europe.  And what they built once they came home is utterly miraculous, only to be torn apart by this bunch of malcontents....

To see this all being turned on it ear by a spoiled uneducated brat from Queens and her ilk, trying to destroy the greatest nation God ever blessed, is tragic (and frankly), an act of sedition.  I for one will not go quietly into that good night if it ever comes to that in my lifetime.  Infuriating, and we all need to wake up and put a stop to this once and for all at the ballot box, locally and nationally, and beyond if it comes to that.  Like I said before, keep your powder dry.

Edited by ewallover
Correction
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ewallover said:

Frightening isn’t it.  What have we left for our children and our grandchildren.  All of this rancor breaks my heart to think of what my Dad and his Brother (hell an entire generation of American boys) sacrificed for us in the Pacific and Europe.  And what they built once they came home is utterly miraculous, only to be torn apart by this bunch of malcontents....

To see this all being turned on it ear by a spoiled uneducated brat from Queens and her ilk, trying to destroy the greatest nation God ever blessed, is tragic (and frankly), an act of sedition.  I for one will not go quietly into that good night if it ever comes to that in my lifetime.  Infuriating, and we all need to wake up and put a stop to this once and for all at the ballot box, locally and nationally, and beyond if it comes to that.  Like I said before, keep your powder dry.

That reminds me of this line from my signature:

Good times create weak men. Weak men create bad times. Bad times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

• Like 1