youngod

Daughter, college, gun question

So my daughter turned 21 the other day.  I want to get her a pistol to carry with her to school.  She travels about 2 hours along some country / rural areas to get to school from home and vice versa.  Of course, she will get her CCW before all of this.  The question is the dorm room.  She's not allowed to have a gun on campus much less in her room.   So the question is how to secure it?  In the jeep I thought about a cable locked safe when she goes to the dorm.  A friend of mine who was the dean at the college and very gun friendly, said she doesn't need to have it in her dorm.   Im ok with the don't ask, don't tell policy myself however my daughter is apprehensive about it.  

Thoughts and suggestions?

One can be unlawful and the other "policy". A carry gun without being carried isn't all that useful. Soooooooo, ....................

Check here O if you found this very helpful. :tiphat:

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Carry it always.

• Like 1

Thers some really good biometric vehicle boxes. If she has in dorm steal get a biometric box of some sort

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

Get a lockable unit that is built into the vehicle...a really good one like this    https://www.extremeterrain.com/gun-carriers-for-jeep-wranglers.html.  Then get a small one that she can disguise in a hollow book and take into her room or another vehicle so she has options on storage other than her vehicle.   My co-worker has two daughters in college right now and it's not going to be practical for her to try and carry full time and not get outed by a room mate or someone she is close to. She will have to make do with the rules as they are. At least if it is discovered on campus it will be in a locked box. 

If it's in a locked box it's no ones business what's in it. You don't sign away your rights to be searched by going to college.

Greg

Is the Jeep a hard top with doors that "lock" it's hard to secure anything in a jeep, but the faults that are installed/bolted in and can't be popped open with a pry bar are the way to go for you I would imagine, like the one linked to by towtruck.

We got a Ft Knox vaults pistol box & some cable and hard wired it in the daughters trunk out of sight, she has her CCP and such & kept her G19, a couple 3 mags & couple knives along with a fair amount of cash money in the box when living in the dorms.....she is now off campus and still has a get home bag/gun in her car just in case something happens along with what she has in her home.....

Concealed is concealed and she never gave the campus cops any reason to search her or her car, but they were always searching other kids cars and finding booze & lots of firearms....

what about nun chucks? :segrin:

there are some good options out there for sure.   not that I support the infringement, but what else can you do.

Where I went to college you could bring the firearm to campus but you had to store it at the Security Office.  That was a few years ago at this point, policies have probly changed.  I would store my hunting rifle there, pick it up on the way to hunt on the school forest, miss my 8am class and the 9am if we were skinning something out.

Depending on her dorm's security I would either keep it in a safe as suggested or stashed in the room and let no one know its there.  The hollowed out book deal is a good idea, I used one for a stash spot for a long time.  Never showed anyone what I had either.

As long as she does not give Security any reason to suspect she has contraband,  she probly could conceal carry without any issue.  Better to beg forgiveness than be dead.

The hollow book idea might work at home where no one else has access to snoop, but in a dorm there are too many others with access to the room.  Either on her person or in a secure safe in her vehicle would be much better.

I went through 9 months in the dorms thusly. 

Go to a bookstore. Buy a large textbook preferably in something extremely uninteresting like Calculus. Last edition textbooks can be picked up for pennies on the dollar and Calculus is of no interest to the vast majority of college students. They've either taken it already or chosen a major that didn't have calculus as a requirement like I did. Either way they have no interest with it.

Use white glue to glue the exposed edges of the pages together. My Calculus book was like 4 inches thick so I left about 1/4 of an inch of pages unglued at the front and back. This way if someone opened it the pages would be loose and it wouldn't open up directly to the hidden parts. Use an exacto knife to cut out the pages. Use white glue to glue the inside cut sections together. I used a piece of sheet metal as a lid on the inside with a cheapo lock from a jewelry box to keep it from opening easily. It was effective, 9 months in a 12x16 foot room with 2 different roommates and untold visitors and no one ever suspected. I kept a 1911, 3 mags and a box of shells in it. It sat on the shelf completely unnoticed.

Only 1 time did I ever have a "close call". I had just gotten back to the room, put the pistol in it and set it on my bed and went to take a leak. When I came back in my Japanese roommate had come back from wherever he was and saw the book and picked it up. I came in right after that and he set it back down. He asked if I was taking calculus and I told him I already had, I just kept the book to remind me that calculus sucks and was the reason I wasn't  math major. I put it back on the shelf and he never messed with it after that. I used a spray of foot powder on the shelf so I could see instantly if it had been moved or taken off the shelf. It never even got a second glance.

Back when I went in the late 60's I had an 870, a 10-22 and a 22 revolver in my dorm room in the closet.  Not so unusual in the 60's and most of my roomies had guns too.    I did this in ST. Cloud , Minnesota, The University of Tulsa and Oklahoma University in Norman.Times have changed.

Greg

• Like 1

Bank safety deposit box. Get some pepper spray for the dorm room.

All good suggestions. I understand the carried by 6 concept.  I carry every except Federal and airports.  

1 hour ago, youngod said:

All good suggestions. I understand the carried by 6 concept.  I carry every except Federal and airports.  

As the left gets more and more idiotic here I find myself "forgetting" I am carrying unless the place has metal detectors. 

I have a hard time believing that any law saying, "You can't carry here" is in any way Constitutional.