Flesh Wound

Fixed magnification scope on 22LR rifle?

Since I've received the new 10/22 receiver with integrated Picatinny rail I'm looking at different scopes to potentially place on the rifle once rebuilt. I'm going to move the current scope back to the old 10/22 as it come on that rifle.

I have a cheap Chinese 4x28 fixed power scope on an old beater and I kinda like the thing. Although not enough to go buy another. I just liked the way it worked.  With that in mind I've been looking at fixed power scopes. I kinda like the Leopold FX-1 for this job although I'd like something shorter in over-all length like that Chinese scope.

Any reason to not go this route? Fixed power I mean, not specifically the Leopold. Open to hearing other suggestions. What I want is to keep this rifle simple to use. Pretty much shoulder, shoot. Repeat as needed.

Maybe it's just because I'm old, but I recently took the last fixed power scope (a Leupold) I had mounted on a firearm off, and I won't buy another. There are too many quality low power variable FFP scopes out there to ever bother with a fixed power again. The only things that I have fixed power glass on anymore are crossbows.

I'll prolly not buy another scope right now. This morning I found a nearly new Simmons Rimfire scope in my spares box. While not 'great' it will be good enough for a 22 methinks.

I think most of us grew up with a fixed power scope on our .22s

Kinda owner preference.  They've worked well for people for many decades, though as mentioned, there are some nicer variable power scopes out there.

Not like you'll be consistently trying to make hits out to 500 yds.

I have a Nikon P-22 currently on my 10/22, and to me, that's not enough magnification.  But I've been shooting it at 100 yards, and a few times at 200 yards.  I wish I had a higher power scope on it, I'm thinking a minimum of a 4-15.  That said, all I use my 10/22 for is target shooting.  

My original, 1974, 10-22 wears a Weaver K3. It's still killin'. My gussied up 10-22's with GM and Shilen barresl wear Banner Dawn to Dusk 3X10 AO's.

Greg

I’m running the Primary Arms ranging reticle .22 6x fixed power (ASCC reticle) scope on my Remington 597 16” Heavy Barrel. $120 plus rings. Really nice glass, bright clear image and really compact. I love it and a really nice value.aedec7f8e792d3124f28affbbef6e52c.jpg

And the results are not bad either.b856fb1b62d84dd26c2304d96c64fcba.jpg

20 rounds from 25 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If I end up buying a scope that is top of my list now. Thanks!

When I started out I had a Lyman 6x, I liked it better than the 4x and there was 4 ft difference in focus distance if I recall correctly. Then when I started shooting SB Silhouette, I went to centerfire rifle scopes with repeatable adjustments. I used mostly USA made Burris.

Ed

I ended up getting a sweet deal on a Vortex Crossfire II. That's on my 10/22 now.

15 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

I ended up getting a sweet deal on a Vortex Crossfire II. That's on my 10/22 now.

You get the 4-9x44?

Yes.