Rampy

AF Paperwork & Tax Stamp......

From what I understand every person on the trust needs a copy of the trust and the tax stamp, plus one with the suppressor and the original in a safe.....

How do you store/carry your paperwork, can you keep it on your phone in a digital copy?

Who get's to see it, is it protected information, or can anybody ask to see it?

Is it legal to shrink it down pocket sized and laminate it?

This is news to me.  I've got my brother as a trustee as well for a few items, but he has no stamps and no copy of the trust.  However,  the items remain with me.   What I've always done for the carrying the stamps is I made a bunch of copies, then fold one of each and throw them into the cargo pocket of my pants along with my wallet and knife.  It's part of what I carry daily since I never know when I might grab a title II firearm and go somewhere with it. When they get worn out from being in my pocket, grab some fresh ones from the safe.  I've been told before by one fella' that you could shrink the stamps down and laminate them, but.. Who knows?    As far as who gets to see it? Legally speaking, I dunno.  I just go based off of, if I were to get pulled over or something and it gets to the point that they realize I'm carrying around suppressors or a machinegun (that's all *I* currently have), then I will provide the stamp to prove it's legal.   I took the machinegun to an indoor range not too long ago, and they asked if I had a stamp.  Went ahead and provided it to them as well.  All they care about is that a person *does* indeed have a legal firearm at their range and not something somebody unknowingly illegally assembled in their garage the night prior.

Edited by Forsaken352

I had talked to several different dealers & looked at trusts on line & went with the one offered by Silencer Shop, a single shot trust by Gun Trust USA. Took all of 10 min to do and did fingerprints at a kiosk in the gun shop even...then talked to their compliance department.

Paperwork was submitted to ATF 2 days after I purchased the can, 1 day for dealer to sign and then the next to be finished and submitted.....

Was also told that anybody who has the combo to your safe technically needs to be on the trust as they technically have access to the items.....

I like the idea about laminating and shrinking it down & keeping a copy in the case.

We will be crossing mutiple state lines with the silencer, so I'm trying to cover all bases as some states have different paperwork requirements.

Edited by Rampy

FWIW, currently, the following 42 states allow private ownership of suppressors: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY.

I live in SC and my trust lawyer the time to explain things to me. If you, or someone, is listed as primary on the Trust, then you are allowed to be in possession of the NFA item. If you have the stamp and a copy of the trust with you and you encounter law enforcement for some reason, the paperwork and stamp identify you as one who can legally possess/use the NFA item. If you don't have these items on you, you probably will be detained until things are straightened out. The stamp also identifies the NFA item as legally produced and owned. No stamp and no paperwork = opportunity for law enforcement to bring charges against you. 

Carrying copies - Yes, carry them. I've heard it's a tax document and the only people who can demand it are the IRS and ATF. But that being said remember it is what keeps you from going to jail for possessing an illegal item by most state law UNLESS it is registered via NFA. The only proof of that registration is that Form 1 or Form 4. Local LEOs DO NOT have access to the registry...at all. Field agents DO NOT have access to the registry. There is no roadside verification that an NFA item is, in fact, registered with the NFA Branch. It'll be a phone call made Monday morning. 

Who can see - Not really clear. I've heard only IRS and ATF. But again, if it keeps me out of jail then I'm gonna have it and show it. 

Safe Combo/Access  - They're not wrong, but it's being very literal. Plus how can they prove that? Why would they prove this? 

Just remember that SBR/SBS, Machineguns, AOWs and DDs have to have permission to cross state lines. Suppressors do not. 

57 minutes ago, Etho said:

Carrying copies - Yes, carry them. I've heard it's a tax document and the only people who can demand it are the IRS and ATF. But that being said remember it is what keeps you from going to jail for possessing an illegal item by most state law UNLESS it is registered via NFA. The only proof of that registration is that Form 1 or Form 4. Local LEOs DO NOT have access to the registry...at all. Field agents DO NOT have access to the registry. There is no roadside verification that an NFA item is, in fact, registered with the NFA Branch. It'll be a phone call made Monday morning. 

Who can see - Not really clear. I've heard only IRS and ATF. But again, if it keeps me out of jail then I'm gonna have it and show it. 

Safe Combo/Access  - They're not wrong, but it's being very literal. Plus how can they prove that? Why would they prove this? 

Just remember that SBR/SBS, Machineguns, AOWs and DDs have to have permission to cross state lines. Suppressors do not. 

Will be driving to Texas and across to Florida & crossing many different jurisdictions....the can will be on my travel companion, my "anti murder weapon" a 300 Blackout AR pistol with LAW folder and blade brace & MRO optic.....cat naps in rest stops, truck stops or wherever I get tired it's right there with me along with a handgun to be determined....and possible OC.....and yep, when I sleep in a vehicle, it's darkened windows, curtains or other sun blocking devices, can't see in, might be sleeping in back, never know....and will have a handgun on my person at all times......

Figure I'll get several copies of the tax stamp, trust and such and have it in my wallet, on my phone, in the can's case, in the glove box & other handy places...I've got no problem showing it to a LEO.........

Was in a Flying J in New Mexico outside Gallup taking the boys to the pool when some thugs went crazy and were kicking in stall doors looking for somebody.....since we were on our way to Kalif all I had was a G26 and when my door got kicked in, they were suddenly quite, apologizes and closed the door....it sucked haveing a 26 instead of my normal 19, so this time, might have a TRP 1911 cuz 45 :who_there:

Edited by Rampy