BoomerG20

New reloading manual advice...

I’m looking for a new manual, or 2 or 3 or whatever it takes to cover most of the current bullet/powder combinations available today. The manuals I have aren’t cutting it, my Sierra is old and only has data for Sierra bullets. My Hogdon book only has data for Hogdon powders. I’m looking for an all around manual that will cover most of the current bullet/powder combinations out today. Any advice is appreciated...

Kinda screwed from the get go. Manuals are either pushing their bullets or their powders. No one makes both.  Lyman  is the closest you'll get to equal opportunity.  It's just a fact of the world you'll have to either buy the books or just go ot the net to each site and down load sections as you need them.

The Accurate on-line manual is excellent for their stuff and I feel is invaluable for using Accurate/Western powders.  Hornady gives a fair mix of powders but of course use their bullets.The one saving thing about all this this is that same same weights OF SIMILAR CONSTRUCTION, will be close enough you can make the data work. A 55 FMJ Sierra and a 55 FMJ Hornady and a 55 Nosler  are all pretty close in shank length and you can just start lower than the max but then the prudent loader does that anyway.

With all the new bullets out one is forced to go to a bullet hat is close and do a SWAG on it for powders.  It isn't all that scary and it isn't all that difficult.  I'm looking at some heavy 105's for a 6 MM that no one lists anywhere but the challenge of picking a powder and charge will encompass about ten minutes.

Me? I'd by a NEW  Lyman, a new Hornady and Sierra. I would download teh Accurate manuals as well as what I needed from Hodgdon and if Alliant has something that would be needed they may have something you can work with.  If I were flush I would add the Nolser.  You will be out about $90.00 for the first three if you shop right.  Nolser would be around $45.00 and you could big dog it with a SPEER but they are around $45.00. Probably not the best use of your $$'s IMHO.

A reloader lives and dies by manuals. They are not set in stone like the 10 Commandments but they do make excellent guides for the thinking man to use.

Greg

Greg pretty much said what I would for the most part.

Hornady, Sierra and Nosler would be the reloading manuals I'd get.

Ask western/Alliant/Hodgedon to mail you a copy of their powder manuals.

As long as you're not comparing a VLD type bullet to a standard profile, or an ALL COPPER bullet, you'll be close enough if you start at the bottom loads and slowly work your way up.

I love Speer and RCBS but rarely use their rifle bullets.  Seems the other guys are steaming ahead in rifle bullets.  

Speer does really well with pistol bullets though.

Oh, and don't JUST use them as a load reference.  There's a LOT of useful info in them regarding technique, etc.

The starting data in the Sierra manual is safe to use with any bullet of equal or lesser weight, with the possible exception of the H110/W296 loads. I'd get Sierra, Lyman, and Hornady and/or Speer manuals.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, GLShooter said:

Kinda screwed from the get go. Manuals are either pushing their bullets or their powders. No one makes both.  Lyman  is the closest you'll get to equal opportunity.  It's just a fact of the world you'll have to either buy the books or just go ot the net to each site and down load sections as you need them.

The Accurate on-line manual is excellent for their stuff and I feel is invaluable for using Accurate/Western powders.  Hornady gives a fair mix of powders but of course use their bullets.The one saving thing about all this this is that same same weights OF SIMILAR CONSTRUCTION, will be close enough you can make the data work. A 55 FMJ Sierra and a 55 FMJ Hornady and a 55 Nosler  are all pretty close in shank length and you can just start lower than the max but then the prudent loader does that anyway.

With all the new bullets out one is forced to go to a bullet hat is close and do a SWAG on it for powders.  It isn't all that scary and it isn't all that difficult.  I'm looking at some heavy 105's for a 6 MM that no one lists anywhere but the challenge of picking a powder and charge will encompass about ten minutes.

Me? I'd by a NEW  Lyman, a new Hornady and Sierra. I would download teh Accurate manuals as well as what I needed from Hodgdon and if Alliant has something that would be needed they may have something you can work with.  If I were flush I would add the Nolser.  You will be out about $90.00 for the first three if you shop right.  Nolser would be around $45.00 and you could big dog it with a SPEER but they are around $45.00. Probably not the best use of your $$'s IMHO.

A reloader lives and dies by manuals. They are not set in stone like the 10 Commandments but they do make excellent guides for the thinking man to use.

Greg

Thats is what I thought, but wanted a confirming opinion, with all the new stuff out there and the cost of a single manual I didn’t want to have to buy multiples if I could get one to do the job. What’s a SWAG, I’m not up to date on the new lingo, I thought swag was free stuff you got from vendors at SHOT...lol

13 hours ago, newbe said:

Greg pretty much said what I would for the most part.

Hornady, Sierra and Nosler would be the reloading manuals I'd get.

Ask western/Alliant/Hodgedon to mail you a copy of their powder manuals.

As long as you're not comparing a VLD type bullet to a standard profile, or an ALL COPPER bullet, you'll be close enough if you start at the bottom loads and slowly work your way up.

I love Speer and RCBS but rarely use their rifle bullets.  Seems the other guys are steaming ahead in rifle bullets.  

Speer does really well with pistol bullets though.

Oh, and don't JUST use them as a load reference.  There's a LOT of useful info in them regarding technique, etc.

Going to show my ignorance a little more, what’s VLD and what’s the deal with all copper bullets? I’m running Barnes in my hunting rifles, and just bought some I want to do some test loading to see how fast I can push them.

I believe a SWAG is a scientific wild ass guess. 

47 minutes ago, BoomerG20 said:

Going to show my ignorance a littlMe more, what’s VLD and what’s the deal with all copper bullets? I’m running Barnes in my hunting rifles, and just bought some I want to do some test loading to see how fast I can push them.

VLD is very low drag. Hornady has the ELD Match which is extremely low drag match. From what I've read, the issue with the copper bullets is that they have the same weight, but different composition. Hornady GMX are monolithic copper construction.

2 minutes ago, Joel74 said:

I believe a SWAG is a scientific wild ass guess. 

Yes on SWAG and swag, non-cap'd, is goodies you get for free. 

VLD is Very Low Drag. The  VLD's are long and pointy and don't act like normal weight pills as the shank length is different and they require, many times, a faster twist. They also tend to be loaded right at or barely off the lands so overall cartridge length is longer than stated manuals length 99% of the time unless you have custom chambers.

Solid monolithic bullets, aka copper, need to have reduced MAX loads as the pressures on them is a lot higher on engraving and they are long for length because of lower weight in the material compared to lead so the bullets are longer. They also are routinely shot at a minimum of 0.050 off the lands on purpose because of the pressure issues. Those little groves in the BARNES were put there to lower pressure somewhat but it is still an issue. Overall many rifles will not shoot the solids and if they do they are a bit expensive for just casual usage. Rifling type plays a part in the last issue on accuracy BTW.

Greg

My 2 Ruger ranch rifles love the Barnes 70gr.TSX. 

Im going to order the Lyman, Sierra, and Hornady manuals, all 3 for $91 delivered. I emailed Alliant and requested their book, should be here in 3 weeks... Hogdon book was not currently available but I saw it at Graffs for 9 bucks, going to wait to get enough stuff to place an order there.

8 minutes ago, BoomerG20 said:

My 2 Ruger ranch rifles love the Barnes 70gr.TSX. 

Im going to order the Lyman, Sierra, and Hornady manuals, all 3 for $91 delivered. I emailed Alliant and requested their book, should be here in 3 weeks... Hogdon book was not currently available but I saw it at Graffs for 9 bucks, going to wait to get enough stuff to place an order there.

Can I ask where you got all of those manuals for that price, please ? 

The 2 manuals I have are decades old. 

Thanks

John

Amazon, free shipping, just noticed the Hornady manual won’t be back in stock till the 20th but I can wait. Lyman was soft cover book 29, Sierra 5th edition both books 29, Hornady manual was 33..

Edited by BoomerG20

35 minutes ago, BoomerG20 said:

Amazon, free shipping, just noticed the Hornady manual won’t be back in stock till the 20th but I can wait. Lyman was soft cover book 29, Sierra 5th edition both books 29, Lyman manual was 33..

Thanks !

Already answered, but yes VLD = very low drag.  Many times require different loading requirements especially seating depth.

Solid copper can lead to higher pressures so use loading info for them not lead core bullets, and as mentioned, they need to be jumped farther than their lead components due to increased pressure issues.

A5MFj2i.jpg

Woohoo!! these came today, waiting on the Sierra and Accurate books,

thanks guys for all the advice!

Excellent!