juancts

Please help me choose my new AR

Hi. I’m a beginner in the AR world. I want to buy my first AR mainly for hog hunting.

I want to buy a good quality “keeper” rifle, so I’m not trading or selling it in 1 year. That means that I don’t want a cheap lower tier $500 rifle. My budget is $950.

After some research I found 3 interesting ARs:

Colt LE6920

Springfield Saint Victor

S&W M&P Sport 2

Appreciate your advise and help on these rifles or any others you think are good options.

Can't go wrong with a Colt! 

IMO, all 3 are pretty sharp rifles. The SA might use more "propitiatory" type parts. But as with their handguns, there is quite a few options available, and the fire arms are quite dependable. S&W makes a great product. Have a buddy that owns a sport 2 that he both likes and has slowly dressed up.  Colt..been in it FOREVER, that says something in it's self.  Maybe look into Rugers offerings, my 1st BR purchase was an 8500 and it's still going strong. 

Edited by Fxdwg
spelling

Of the three options you list all are good for the money in my opinion. However, if I were making the selection I'd not choose the Springfield just because it has some proprietary parts. Not because of any quality issues. For me it would be a coin flip between the Colt or M&P.

And, welcome to the Armory! 

18 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

For me it would be a coin flip between the Colt or M&P.

S&W should win that toss, if for no other reason than Colt is UAW union, which I will NOT support in any way!

• Like 3

Of the three options you list all are good for the money in my opinion. However, if I were making the selection I'd not choose the Springfield just because it has some proprietary parts. Not because of any quality issues. For me it would be a coin flip between the Colt or M&P.

And, welcome to the Armory! 

Thanks !

Colt......

Welcome to the Armory. :tiphat:

Changing the subject. 300 Blackout is a great hog cartridge.  S&W M&P call's theirs a 300 Whisper. 

Take it from a guy who has built over 80 ARs, I would not choose any of the ones mentioned. Here is my recommendation.

Upper assembly

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165448551.html

Lower assembly

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-magpul-acs-l-ept-lower-black-516444905.html

Spend the rest of your budget on a set of good BUISs like these (https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Combat-Rifle-Sight-Set-p/mi-crs-set.htm), a good quality optic, magazines, and ammo.

Edited by TackleberryMCS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TackleberryMCS said:

Take it from a guy who has built over 80 ARs, I would not choose any of the ones mentioned. Here is my recommendation.

Upper assembly

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165448551.html

Lower assembly

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-magpul-acs-l-ept-lower-black-516444905.html

Spend the rest of your budget on a set of good BUISs like these (https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Combat-Rifle-Sight-Set-p/mi-crs-set.htm), a good quality optic, magazines and ammo.

IMNSHO, this is the best advice in the thread. 

6 minutes ago, Pepper said:

IMNSHO, this is the best advice in the thread. 

If the OP is open to that option, then I whole-heartedly agree!

Probably why I have five assembled AR's, and none of them are Colt, Springfield, or S&W. :dontknow:

16 hours ago, juancts said:

I want to buy my first AR mainly for hog hunting.

Honestly, if hog hunting is going to be it's main purpose, then I would also consider a second upper like what Joel was talking about, a second assembled upper from PSA in .300BLK.

If you're whacking 'em out past 200yds often, then it might not be a great idea, but inside of 200 the right .30cal bullet will do a job on 'em.

Yet another option would be a second upper in 6.5Grendel. 

That round with the right bullet will perform admirably @ ranges further than you're likely to be shooting often.

Just curious, because you haven't said.......do you reload? Are you primarily going to shoot "off the shelf" ammo? That might influence the selection of a second upper.

My S&W Sport (that I bought for hog hunting) just inflamed the BRD.  It is a fine rifle with a lifetime warranty.  That being said, the other three suggestions so far are good as well.  Springfield and Ruger do have proprietary parts but I wouldnt worry too much about that.  In the unlikely possibility something fails those rifles will go back to the manufacturer just like the Smith.  It would only be detrimental if SHTF and it did break.  You may not be able to get the part to fix it.

Any money you save out of the $950 you should spend on ammo and range time.  Neither the Sport or the PSA combo Tack suggested will be anywhere near that price.  The Springfield is a bit more and the Colt is overpriced IMO for what they are now producing.  Thats just me.  The older models were built better but Colt has to do something to comete now in a market with many manufacturers.  They have seen their share of the market drop and they have to stay competitive in the intro market.  If you look at any manufacturers website they have the intro rifles priced for the first time buyer and if you look, the next steps up get pricey quick.

Buy what you like and shoot the piss out of it.  Find out what you may like better by shooting it and researching here and other forums.  Most likely it will set off a bad case of BRD and you will build a rifle specifically what you want.  We have at least one member that has many, many black rifles because he is a military rifle history buff and I think he strives to own every AR clone variant of the M16.  Who knows, you may end up buying another gun safe like I did.  I cant imagine having to secure 50 or more rifles.

Welcome to the Forum, we are here to help with advice and to help you spend your money!

• Like 1

Honestly, if hog hunting is going to be it's main purpose, then I would also consider a second upper like what Joel was talking about, a second assembled upper from PSA in .300BLK.
If you're whacking 'em out past 200yds often, then it might not be a great idea, but inside of 200 the right .30cal bullet will do a job on 'em.

Yet another option would be a second upper in 6.5Grendel. 
That round with the right bullet will perform admirably @ ranges further than you're likely to be shooting often.

Just curious, because you haven't said.......do you reload? Are you primarily going to shoot "off the shelf" ammo? That might influence the selection of a second upper.

I don’t reload. Yep, off the shelf ammo is the answer.

Welcome!