Zephyr One/Zero

BREAKING: Benchmade Helps PD Destroy Guns – Official Statement

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/02/21/benchmade-helps-destroy-guns/

"Social media exploded in a flurry of virtual pitchforks and torches last night after the Oregon City Police Department posted three images and a simple statement on Facebook: “Thank you Benchmade Knife Company for assisting us today by cutting up guns that are ready to be destroyed.” Those words, along with the imagery of a pump action shotgun and an SKS being sliced to pieces, enraged both gun and knife owners nationwide. Many supporters of the Oregon-based knife company felt betrayed; after all, guns and knives go together like apple pie and vanilla ice cream."

This is the newest 'outrage' making the rounds at all the "Knife Forums".  The most troubling-aspect to all of this is Benchmade's overwhelming political-donations to anti-gun Donks.  Still watching to see how this shakes-out.  Company needs to go-into damage-control mode, or face a Dick's fiasco.

:lol:They stepped in the calf milk fed pile of cow doodoo gonna stink and stain em..... I bet the Public affairs person was thinking of the big fat raise and promotion he was going to get :cretin3:

Edited by gshayd

I don't believe that this neccisarily makes Benchmade somehow complicit in the anti-gun movement in this country.

The optics are certainly horrible for those who just read the headline and don't think things through.

Which is exactly the same error the decision makers at Benchmade committed.

They did not think things through.

I can't prove it, but I would be willing to guess that Benchmade had a pretty tight relationship with the local cops. 

One the the higher ups at the PD called one of the higher ups at Benchmade and asked for a favor. 

And the response was sure, we'll help. 

What some people might not understand first, there are laws in each State that govern what must be done with evidence 

used in a criminal trial. Many over those firearms are going to have serial numbers defaced, were used in a murder or a shooting. 

They may be tied to a known gang member and if the serial number is every run, the cops are going to come back with a hit on that gun. 

When a stolen gun is recovered and returned to the owner, that is going to be listed on the NCIC, but I assure you that you will receive extra scrutiny from the cops.

That's with your own gun that was returned to you.  You really want to buy the gun tied to the gang member or used in a murder, shooting, or armed robbery. ?

Oh, some will say yes, but really ?  Me, I'm not buying any used gun that was used in the commission of a crime.  YMMV.  These are not CMP Garands we are talking about we are talking about. 

Besides, the cops have to follow the law as to how the guns are disposed of. .

I don't think this is anymore then Benchmade having a good relationship with their local cops, (which is a good thing) and simply doing them a favor. 

If you want to get all bent out of shape at Benchmade, that is certainly your prerogative. 

IMHO, this is a tempest in a teapot. We have some really nasty anti-gun fish to fry without wasting time and energy jumping down Benchmade's throat,

but if this makes you swear off Benchmade knives, go for it.  I believe this was people who knew each other, a favor being asked for and granted,

without a worry about all the knee jerks that were coming. 

WHOOPS !   Looks like I have more reading to do. I did not see in the other thread about Benchmade supporting Liberals.

Cops still have to destroy guns though...

Edited by Retcop
NEW INFO

Yes, they stepped in it and think it will hurt them a little.

I will buy Benchmade knives and take them of your hands.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:25 AM, Retcop said:

I don't believe that this neccisarily makes Benchmade somehow complicit in the anti-gun movement in this country.

The optics are certainly horrible for those who just read the headline and don't think things through.

Which is exactly the same error the decision makers at Benchmade committed.

They did not think things through.

I can't prove it, but I would be willing to guess that Benchmade had a pretty tight relationship with the local cops. 

One the the higher ups at the PD called one of the higher ups at Benchmade and asked for a favor. 

And the response was sure, we'll help. 

What some people might not understand first, there are laws in each State that govern what must be done with evidence 

used in a criminal trial. Many over those firearms are going to have serial numbers defaced, were used in a murder or a shooting. 

They may be tied to a known gang member and if the serial number is every run, the cops are going to come back with a hit on that gun. 

When a stolen gun is recovered and returned to the owner, that is going to be listed on the NCIC, but I assure you that you will receive extra scrutiny from the cops.

That's with your own gun that was returned to you.  You really want to buy the gun tied to the gang member or used in a murder, shooting, or armed robbery. ?

Oh, some will say yes, but really ?  Me, I'm not buying any used gun that was used in the commission of a crime.  YMMV.  These are not CMP Garands we are talking about we are talking about. 

Besides, the cops have to follow the law as to how the guns are disposed of. .

I don't think this is anymore then Benchmade having a good relationship with their local cops, (which is a good thing) and simply doing them a favor. 

If you want to get all bent out of shape at Benchmade, that is certainly your prerogative. 

IMHO, this is a tempest in a teapot. We have some really nasty anti-gun fish to fry without wasting time and energy jumping down Benchmade's throat,

but if this makes you swear off Benchmade knives, go for it.  I believe this was people who knew each other, a favor being asked for and granted,

without a worry about all the knee jerks that were coming. 

WHOOPS !   Looks like I have more reading to do. I did not see in the other thread about Benchmade supporting Liberals.

Cops still have to destroy guns though...

Yes the cops are required by law to destroy some firearms. But there is no such rule that any manufacturer that has 2nd Amendment supporters as a major percentage of their customer base must assist in that destruction. 

I am sure that the cops in Oregon City have a good relationship with Benchmade. But who else has a good relationship with the cops and has the tools to destroy a firearm? Why the city public works department of course. That is who does the destruction here. They take them to the city garage and bust out the welding torch and reduce the firearm to pieces. Usually many small and unrecognizable as once belonging to a firearm pieces. There are plenty of places in town that "could do it", but the city doesn't have to pay anyone to do what they are already paying a city employee for. If Benchmade "did it as a favor" then there is the whole appearance of impropriety of "doing favors for law enforcement" or getting something for nothing.

Which brings up another matter. The Benchmade employee in the photographs is using a plasma cutter to cut the barrel as evidenced by the forend being on fire. Plasma cutters are not acceptable cutting to render a firearm no longer a firearm. ATF is pretty specific when they say "torch cut". It has to be an oxy-acetylene or similar torch which transects the receiver in 3 places with removal of 1/4 inch of material where the cut takes place. The cut has to transect the barrel attachment or forward wall of the receiver, another cut has to transect the rear wall of the receiver and a third must go through a fire control group attachment point or through the slot in which the operating rod travels.

The only other way to render these firearms into non-firearms is by complete melting, shredding or crushing of the receiver. 

So just going by the pictures on the web, those firearms that were "destroyed" may still in fact be firearms. 

9 minutes ago, MontanaLon said:

Yes the cops are required by law to destroy some firearms. But there is no such rule that any manufacturer that has 2nd Amendment supporters as a major percentage of their customer base must assist in that destruction. 

I am sure that the cops in Oregon City have a good relationship with Benchmade. But who else has a good relationship with the cops and has the tools to destroy a firearm? Why the city public works department of course. That is who does the destruction here. They take them to the city garage and bust out the welding torch and reduce the firearm to pieces. Usually many small and unrecognizable as once belonging to a firearm pieces. There are plenty of places in town that "could do it", but the city doesn't have to pay anyone to do what they are already paying a city employee for. If Benchmade "did it as a favor" then there is the whole appearance of impropriety of "doing favors for law enforcement" or getting something for nothing.

Which brings up another matter. The Benchmade employee in the photographs is using a plasma cutter to cut the barrel as evidenced by the forend being on fire. Plasma cutters are not acceptable cutting to render a firearm no longer a firearm. ATF is pretty specific when they say "torch cut". It has to be an oxy-acetylene or similar torch which transects the receiver in 3 places with removal of 1/4 inch of material where the cut takes place. The cut has to transect the barrel attachment or forward wall of the receiver, another cut has to transect the rear wall of the receiver and a third must go through a fire control group attachment point or through the slot in which the operating rod travels.

The only other way to render these firearms into non-firearms is by complete melting, shredding or crushing of the receiver. 

So just going by the pictures on the web, those firearms that were "destroyed" may still in fact be firearms. 

Which is yet another reason why the PD should have taken those guns to the, as Pepper pointed out, closer "Certified" place for destruction.

Not to a business run by liberal loons. While I am disturbed by Benchmade being involved in any sort of gun destruction I am more bothered by their political contributions and the lame-assed way they tried to backpedal.

Screw them. I've wanted a Griptillian for years. Not now.

Buying Benchmade knifes cheap!

7 hours ago, gshayd said:

Buying Benchmade knifes cheap!

Huh ?

Vendors are blowing out their Benchmade stock ?         :CONFUS12:

So they helped destroy guns that were going to be destroyed anyway. 

How is this a 2nd amendment issue? 

Did they help anti-gun legislation? No. 

Did they stop anyone from buying a gun? No. 

I get being pissed if they help liberal causes (I haven't seen that info yet). But just helping chop up guns that are confiscated by police..... who cares? I don't see this as an issue. 

If it were knives or baseball bats used in crimes that they disposed of, that would be ok, right? Then it didn't matter that these were guns. It's an inanimate object. If anything, you could say destroying old guns means you have to buy new more often and that helps the gun industry. 

Enlighten me otherwise, cuz I don't see the other side at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, Casper said:

So they helped destroy guns that were going to be destroyed anyway. 

How is this a 2nd amendment issue? 

Did they help anti-gun legislation? No. 

Did they stop anyone from buying a gun? No. 

I get being pissed if they help liberal causes (I haven't seen that info yet). But just helping chop up guns that are confiscated by police..... who cares? I don't see this as an issue. 

If it were knives or baseball bats used in crimes that they disposed of, that would be ok, right? Then it didn't matter that these were guns. It's an inanimate object. If anything, you could say destroying old guns means you have to buy new more often and that helps the gun industry. 

Enlighten me otherwise, cuz I don't see the other side at the moment. 

Read the whole thread. They've given considerable amounts of money to leftist candidates, those that earn an "F" rating from the NRA. Benchmade is no friend to the second amendment, nor to LE. 

What they did was decidedly anti-gun. They gleefully took part in destroying guns. Guns that were NOT required to be destroyed by the courts, that is a bald faced lie on the part of someone at OCPD. I am in the same county, deal with the same circuit court judges. Unless an agency specifically requests that a firearm be destroyed, they are not ordered to be destroyed by the judge, with very few exceptions. They are ordered forfeited by the defendant, and they are able to be destroyed, or converted to any lawful purpose by the agency. Meaning, sold, used as issue weapons, training guns, etc. They do NOT have to be destroyed as a matter of course. That is left up to the agency. By stating that they were ordered to be destroyed, they lied and shifted some of the backlash back on the judges, who won't come out either way. publicly. 

I wouldn't throw away or sell a Benchmade knife if I owned one. But I won't be buying one again. 

Posted (edited)

This says benchmade supported two candidates: 

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000047693

These links say both candidates have either received funding from or been endorsed by the NRA:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Schrader

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Heinrich

Does anyone have links with any other facts? So far as I can find this doesn't exactly scream anti-gun. Are we just reading headlines and assuming the worst? Or actually digging for truth? 

Edit: 

That was just for 2018. In 2016 they gave money to Kurt Schrader (pro-gun) and to Ron Wyden (anti-gun).

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/recips.php?cycle=2016&id=D000047693

Still not seeing them as anti 2nd amendment. 

Edited by Casper

Posted (edited)

I think it can be guessed this way or that. But their actions don't say anti-gun or anti 2nd amendment as far as I've seen. 

My wild guess would be they do what most companies do. They support a politician they think can help their bottom line and don't look much beyond that. 

But what do I know? :dontknow:

Edited by Casper
Grammar