Flesh Wound

Where does (1990's) Bushmaster fall in the quality range

So I was doing some thinking. Yep thinking. Didn't even strain anything this time! I bought this super nice ban-era Bushmaster 20" AR from another member last year.

I really like the rifle. It feels well in my hands and shoots terrific. What I was curious about is how did the Bushmaster of the 1990's stand up to other makers in quality? Is this a good go-to-war rifle or is it something less?

Seems to me there were not a lot of manufacturers making AR's 20 years ago. At least not like today. If I'm wrong please do educate me.

So anyhow, that's the silly stuff bored brains stuck at work on a Saturday come up with.

There was a time when the ABCs of ARs applied. It was Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt. In the 1980s and 1990s, there were very few companies building complete factory ARs. Eventually, Olympic Arms jumped into the fray. Bushmaster was still producing good quality ARs. In April 2006, after 38 years, that all changed when Bushmaster sold to Cerberus Capital Management. Since then, the quality has been shot. I have a post-ban XM15-E2S A3 Target model (made in Windham, ME) that is superb. Personally, any Bushmaster that was made in Maine, is still worthy and better quality than the Bushmasters made since in the past 10-12 years. Of course, the former owner of Bushmaster did take up the business of producing ARs again after the five years he had to wait. That business is Windham Weaponry and they are producing some nice stuff. In my opinion, they have exceeded the quality of the older Bushmasters and are a far cry better than the new Bushmasters. To me, they are comparable to many of the new and popular ARs that are in the $1000+ price range.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TackleberryMCS said:

There was a time when the ABCs of ARs applied. It was Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt. In the 1980s and 1990s, there were very few companies building complete factory ARs. Eventually, Olympic Arms jumped into the fray. Bushmaster was still producing good quality ARs. In April 2006, after 38 years, that all changed when Bushmaster sold to Cerberus Capital Management. Since then, the quality has been shot. I have a post-ban XM15-E2S A3 Target model (made in Windham, ME) that is superb. Personally, any Bushmaster that was made in Maine, is still worthy and better quality than the Bushmasters made since in the past 10-12 years. Of course, the former owner of Bushmaster did take up the business of producing ARs again after the five years he had to wait. That business is Windham Weaponry and they are producing some nice stuff. In my opinion, they have exceeded the quality of the older Bushmasters and are a far cry better than the new Bushmasters. To me, they are comparable to many of the new and popular ARs that are in the $1000+ price range.

Tack, ok, the line above that I bolded. Are you saying that about the 1990's era Bushy I have or the current Bushy? (or both?)

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

Tack, ok, the line above that I bolded. Are you saying that about the 1990's era Bushy I have or the current Bushy? (or both?)

Thanks.

The statement, "To me, they are comparable to many of the new and popular ARs that are in the $1000+ price range" is referring to the New Windham Weaponry ARs as they are made by the same people that made the older (pre-2006) Bushmasters. As I also stated, "In my opinion, they have exceeded the quality of the older Bushmasters and are a far cry better than the new Bushmasters". The pre-2006 Bushmasters (made in Windham, ME) are still some of the desirable ARs to own.

Late 90's early 2000's another AR web site did a run of group buys for AR15's, AR10 & 45 if I remember right. I had a Bushmaster, RRA and DPMS and they all 3 were out of spec, the chambers all needed reaming to bring into spec, the rail on the RR was out of spec, the Bushmaster barrel went to hell around 5k rounds and needed to be replaced (very common) Bolt carriers were not staked properly and the Bushmaster was over gassed.

I've got a Colt pre ban A2 and comparing the other AR's listed above to it is day and night difference.

Windham, well they are the same as Bushy, cheap, mass produced and if you watch the video they posted there were not even using a torque wrench when assembling parts....From what I understand they are lapped together from cheaper components and have a large problem with chambers being out of spec...

7 hours ago, TackleberryMCS said:

The statement, "To me, they are comparable to many of the new and popular ARs that are in the $1000+ price range" is referring to the New Windham Weaponry ARs as they are made by the same people that made the older (pre-2006) Bushmasters. As I also stated, "In my opinion, they have exceeded the quality of the older Bushmasters and are a far cry better than the new Bushmasters". The pre-2006 Bushmasters (made in Windham, ME) are still some of the desirable ARs to own.

Don't know what circles you travel in, but Windham are nothing more than entry level DPMS quality......

I'm asking about my 1990's Ban Era Bushmaster. 

Please do NOT drag this off topic. If you want to debate that fine, go ahead and open a separate topic.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

You older era Bushmaster is worthy and is a desirable one to own.  IT will shoot.

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rampy said:

Don't know what circles you travel in, but Windham are nothing more than entry level DPMS quality......

Not hardly. I would not buy any new DPMS. The old ones were fine, but the new ones are borderline crap. Windham Weaponry produces some good products and is far above being DPMS quality. I, and many others, know this from experience with ownership. Obviously, you do not keep up with what is happening in the AR market near as much as a lot of us, nor have applicable product experience.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

I'm asking about my 1990's Ban Era Bushmaster. 

Please do NOT drag this off topic. If you want to debate that fine, go ahead and open a separate topic.

You will have to ignore Rampy. He is in his own world and alternate reality. He is far from being in touch with the real  world. As has been said, your Bushmaster is good to go. Do not believe anyone else who says otherwise.

• Like 1

I don't know personally but I do have a good friend who is very knowledgeable and not a brand snob . He once told me pre ' 06 Bush was like pre '64 Winchester . The one I was looking at was made after so I passed . That would mean your Bushy is a good one.

So I was doing some thinking. Yep thinking. Didn't even strain anything this time! I bought this super nice ban-era Bushmaster 20" AR from another member last year.

I really like the rifle. It feels well in my hands and shoots terrific. What I was curious about is how did the Bushmaster of the 1990's stand up to other makers in quality? Is this a good go-to-war rifle or is it something less?

Seems to me there were not a lot of manufacturers making AR's 20 years ago. At least not like today. If I'm wrong please do educate me.

So anyhow, that's the silly stuff bored brains stuck at work on a Saturday come up with.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TackleberryMCS said:

Not hardly. I would not buy any new DPMS. The old ones were fine, but the new ones are borderline crap. Windham Weaponry produces some good products and is far above being DPMS quality. I, and many others, know this from experience with ownership. Obviously, you do not keep up with what is happening in the AR market near as much as a lot of us, nor have applicable product experience.

Funny how you don't know me, don't know the people I know and work with and yet you attack my "lack of knowledge" or product experience....:tiphat::tiphat:

Windham are assemblers of pieces parts, they are cheap guns and not the same quality of say a SOLGW, LMT, Knights or such, they don't even use a torque wrench prperly when assembling pieces parts from the video they produced. Why dont you go get 10 random Windham AR's and see how the chamber dimensions are....

Lots of people own a safe queen that get's shot 50rds a year....and then put back in the safe....shoot 10k rounds out of a Windham and see how many problems you have with it, carry it like a duty rifle, slam it around and beat on it & then shoot 5k rounds......

You want a safe queen that looks good and get's shot less than 200rds a year, sure shy not get a Windham, but no matter you polish it, it's still a turd......

32 minutes ago, Rampy said:

Funny how you don't know me, don't know the people I know and work with and yet you attack my "lack of knowledge" or product experience....:tiphat::tiphat:

Windham are assemblers of pieces parts, they are cheap guns and not the same quality of say a SOLGW, LMT, Knights or such, they don't even use a torque wrench prperly when assembling pieces parts from the video they produced. Why dont you go get 10 random Windham AR's and see how the chamber dimensions are....

Lots of people own a safe queen that get's shot 50rds a year....and then put back in the safe....shoot 10k rounds out of a Windham and see how many problems you have with it, carry it like a duty rifle, slam it around and beat on it & then shoot 5k rounds......

You want a safe queen that looks good and get's shot less than 200rds a year, sure shy not get a Windham, but no matter you polish it, it's still a turd......

All in all, you are entitled to your own biased opinion. No matter how good of an honest and educated point someone puts forth, you will continue to be your own subject matter expert and refute what they are saying. No one can change that. Enough said on this matter.

• Like 1

Argument and brand pissing will NOT be tolerated in the technical areas of the site. 

Example of appropriate discourse: "I like brand 'x' because they use properly staked gas keys. I don't like brand 'y' because they don't. 

Example of inappropriate pissing match: What was starting to happen above.

A member asked a question about a specific brand, from a specific era. He got a couple of polite responses containing some facts, and some opinions. Then things devolved into this brand is shat, then that brand is shat, and we were on our way to "Tier" land. Stop it. Answer specific questions with answers and facts, even anecdotal evidence is fine. But pissing matches are NOT appropriate for a technical forum. 

• Like 4