captainbarred

Stoner 63 clone - yeah or nay?

OK, we talked and I ultimately backed off the Hakim...

So today, I was scrolling GB looking for 1903s, and not impressed with the choices and randomly happened upon a Robinson Arms Stoner 63!!!!

Of all the rotten luck....

So I searched and BOOM... there ARE TWO on there right now...

This is crazy, I check about once every 6 months and have NEVER seen even one before...

So... do I jump...

Pros :

This is and has been # 2 or 3 on my dream gun list for about the past 5 years.

It was a mil issue gun for a short time and my collection is focused around small arms of the U.S.

This thing will never go down in price unless someone else starts making them again.

I have the actual cash available to purchase it on hand...

Cons

Does not have the belt fed conversion unit(also won't work with the originals so far as I know).

no warranty/support for broken parts

Pricey, pricey, pricey

I still am stuck in NY, which means my shop will need to do a small modification to pin the magazine.  - (This might be the hardest cons its a travesty to mod a great and rare piece like this...  I'll be hitting the local shop tomorrow to ask how they might do it...)

If you have to modify it I'd pass. That would be a hateful thing in my eyes.

But, dayum. A 63.

I would not want to modify it like that.

What's involved in pinning a magazine? Would it take away the historical value. do you have to change the appearance on it permantley by modding it? be a shame in my book to make a rare rifle something it was not originally.

4 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

What's involved in pinning a magazine? Would it take away the historical value. do you have to change the appearance on it permantley by modding it? be a shame in my book to make a rare rifle something it was not originally.

Looking like I can do a shortened AR mag catch with a CA bullet button...  another member on here is supposed to send me some specs/pics tonight.

The more I read up on them, the more I'm on the fence as they are a pretty far stretch from the originals....  Better in some ways(takes Stanag mags) but worse in some ways (incorrect sights/furniture/designs, etc).

If the thing goes over 2K, I could take that money, add another $1500 and get a fightlite beltfed upper and have the beltfed capabilities....

If that's what you truly want, I say go for it. sounds like you can just put the regular mag catch back in if you do move somewhere it is legal. Far as the original sights and furniture being different, I wouldn't want to change to newer stuff anyway. i'd want it all original. shoot, they're wanting 800 bucks for that is cut up.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/6353689/indiana-gun-parts-for-sale--demilled-stoner-63-parts

On 3/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, captainbarred said:

still am stuck in NY, which means my shop will need to do a small modification to pin the magazine.

That law even applies to a 100+ year old rifle?

10 hours ago, Srgt. Hulka said:

That law even applies to a 100+ year old rifle?

brother, I don't think I can even get the Henry 1860 cause the tube takes 14 rounds of .45 LC.

15 minutes ago, captainbarred said:

brother, I don't think I can even get the Henry 1860 cause the tube takes 14 rounds of .45 LC.

That sucks. I bet Henry rifles never figured to be making "Assault" lever actions.

12 hours ago, captainbarred said:

:facepalm: