srjdsmith

More companies now offering 450B rifles...

I was pretty dead set on the Ruger 22”

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleGoWild/specSheets/26928.html

Then I learned that Mossberg now has one

https://www.mossberg.com/product/mossberg-patriot-synthetic-28013/

...that can be had for as low as $300. That’s a couple hundred less than the Ruger.

I would love to know how the 20” version performs. My hesitation would be the general quality of the cheaper rifle and the twist rate. The Ruger is 1 / 16 and I think I’d be shooting 250 grain bullets. I know lots of people are going heavier, but I just got away from slinging cannon balls out of a pheasant gun (a Mossberg 500, BTW); a lighter, faster bullet has a lot of appeal! Is that 1 / 24 going to be a problem? If the twist and quality of the Mossberg make it a poor choice, the $200 savings isn’t worth it.

I can see eventually having a 350 Legend bolt, and I’m a “matched set” kind of guy, so if they both eventually offer both chamberings, it’s doubly important. (Obviously I’m building a 350L AR as soon as someone has a barrel I can afford.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you ever consider a Savage?  

medium_387757-22-lr-savage-mk-ii-fv-sr-b

• Like 1

medium_387757-22-lr-savage-mk-ii-fv-sr-bolt-action-rifle-new-in-the-box.jpg

Honestly, no. I’m not wild about the ‘scout rifle’ configurations and I was hoping to get away with no more than the Ruger 22” $500 +/- price tag. As far as I know, the Savage offerings are all shorter barrels? The only reason I would even consider a Mossberg is if they managed to land on a real winner that just happens to be a couple hundred less... it doesn’t seem likely.

49 minutes ago, captainbarred said:

medium_387757-22-lr-savage-mk-ii-fv-sr-b

Ohh..  That looks nice!

2 hours ago, srjdsmith said:

Honestly, no. I’m not wild about the ‘scout rifle’ configurations and I was hoping to get away with no more than the Ruger 22” $500 +/- price tag. As far as I know, the Savage offerings are all shorter barrels? The only reason I would even consider a Mossberg is if they managed to land on a real winner that just happens to be a couple hundred less... it doesn’t seem likely.

The one I have is the TRR-SR - its not a scout rifle.  22 in barrel.

Link - https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/rimfire/mark-ii/mark-ii-trr-sr

Ive only got 10 rounds through mine and thinking of selling it, PM me if your interested :laugh:

I was hoping to use it as a varmint gun and to practice precision without the cost of .308, but wound up moving shortly after I got it now I can't shoot in the back yard, so again... 10 rounds... and all from a kitchen table :lol:

That’s a beautiful rifle but I’m thinking 450 Bushmaster. If I was after precision .22 I would definitely consider Savage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:laugh:  I'm sorry, I saw the 22 for barrel length and speed read it as .22 LR

I didn't even realize the 450 BM was being used in precision rifles.  Now I'm going to have to look into the ballistics.....