meh77gmc

New parts for 10/22 coming

Coming my way, that is.  I needed a threaded barrel to take advantage of my suppressor, so I decided to change the 10/22 from pinker to tree-rat sniper rifle.  So. I ordered a Ruger BX trigger assembly, a nylon recoil buffer (so I wont hear the metal-on-metal contact from the bolt while using the suppressor) and the biggie... a threaded, 16.25", fluted tube of awesomeness called a FJ Feddersen barrel.  

I want to get a Hogue overmolded stock to house the .920" barrel, but I figured spending almost $300 (with shipping) was enough for now.  I intend to sand out the barrel channel of the factory stock using a 1" dowel rod for the time being.

I swear, buying gun goodies makes me feel like a kid waiting on Santa to come.

P.S. Range report will follow in the near future.

Mike

• Like 2

I have a set of three of these for opening up barrel channels. Makes the job go a lot faster and easier.

Gunline tools.

Great idea!  Thanks.

20 minutes ago, meh77gmc said:

Great idea!  Thanks.

No problem!

I've cut channels in blanks entirely with them. Just mark the center line, define the outside edges with a wide chisel, then start cutting from the center out. Soot on the barrel from a kerosene lamp works well for locating high spots or areas of contact as you go.

Posted (edited)

Very cool on the 10/22 upgrades.  You won’t be sorry.  It’s like a whole new rifle. 

Now get you some SK or Wolf target ammo to shoot out of it.  

I have this stock on my 10/22 and love it. 

http://victorcompanyusa.com/titan-1022.html

header.png

Edited by Srgt. Hulka

:thumb:

Everyone is getting a precision .22LR with suppressor but me... :kickcan:

Posted (edited)

Today, I borrowed the 4-14x scope off my AR and put two 5-round groups on paper at 50 yards as a "before" test, using five different ammo types I have on hand.  The results were definitely NOT impressive with the factory 10/22.  

I ran two passes with a bore snake between each ammo change, then 5 seasoning shots onto a zeroing target before two 5-round groups for record.  The two best ammo types I tried were the Winchester M22 Subsonic (averaged 0.90-inch groups) and the Aguila .22 Super Extra (1.05" average). The other tree ammo types (CCI Quiet, CCI MiniMag HP, and Federal Auto-Match) ranged from 1.5" to 2.25" groups.  Pretty bad!

But, it was really cool to be able to watch the CCI Quiet ammo through the scope, fly to the target.  It advertises only 710fps, so I guess that is why.

I took the lazy way out and ordered the Hogue OM stock anyway.  When the parts get here I will put her all together an run the same tests again, and start trying to find the barrel's ammo of choice.

Mike

Edited by meh77gmc

Try some CCI Standard Velocity, it's quite and accurate in my rifle.

2 hours ago, md65636 said:

Try some CCI Standard Velocity, it's quite and accurate in my rifle.

Yep, try this.  CCISV will probably work pretty good in your new barrel.  

When I put my precision barrel on my 10/22, I bet i tried 30 different types of ammo, mostly bulk stuff.  My rifle liked none of them.  Then I tried Wolf Match Extra, and got awesome groups.  

I will add those two ammo choices to my list.

Posted (edited)

I just picked up a brick of Aguila .22 Target, and a brick of Aguila Match Pistol to try. I'm curious to see what they Chrono at, and what their respective ES & SD numbers are, as well as how they group.

I'll report back.

Edited by Longhair

Too bad I'm a tad late to this thread. I really like the Magpul Hunter 22 stock I picked up for my 10/22.

ltr5.jpg

My 10 22 seems to prefer regular CCI .22LR. I looked at their CCI match ammo. It has the same weight bullet and the same velocity as regular CCI.22LR  hrmmmmm.....