muddyduck

Another Blackhorn 209 Question

I have a question to those who are much smarter than I about black powder.  I have started the process in learning and shooting black powder this year and I am going to use Blackhorn 209.  And have come across a question that I just cannot get an answer for, even from Western Powders.  I want to charge my rifle using a weighed charge rather than a volume measurement for consistency and accuracy.  I found on the Western Powder site that there is a conversion for weighing Blackhorn using a .7 conversion to every unit of volume measurement.  Also according to them, that a volume charge of 120 units will be 84 grains by weight.  This is where it gets confusing.   I measured out a charge of the Blackhorn by volume, and wanted to confirm it by weight on my scale.  According to the published information it should be 84 grains plus or minus because black powder is a little inconsistent.  HOWEVER my test load weighs 99.5 grains consistently even when using different volumetric measuring tubes.  Assuming the published information is correct, WHY am I getting such a higher charge weight? 

Frank

I would have to say other than incorrect measuring tools, Western's information is incorrect.  Since you are using weight as a standard, measure out different charges and try them until you find what your rifle likes just like its been done since black powder was invented.  For me, a charge of 70-90 grains always yielded the best accuracy.  YMMV.

Good luck!

We are talking about density vs weight. Are there some conditions where the density of black powder could be affected that would increase the weight?

This is the page I use.  I ignore the volume beause I have found that especially with the blackhorn reload tubes they marks vary from tube to tube.  I weigh out each measurement and drop it in a tube not really carrying what the tube says.

https://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf