zoomy

Remington 742 30-06 magazine problem

Looking for some answers to a magazine problem with a friends Remington 742 in 30-06. The rifle has between 300-400 rounds down the tube and started having magazine feed issues. The bolt will not strip a round from the magazine and then jams against the feed lips. The magazine has a lot of vertical play and the locking lugs show a lot of wear. I purchased a new magazine and it came marked as multi-cal. I cannot insert the magazine because it jammed on the first set of locking lugs on the magazine. I have read about the problems with this rifle and it seems that there are several sizes of magazine catches that I need to try to fit the magazines. Considering that this rifle has a lot of problems and is not worth that much on the market woul it be worth sending it to a gunsmith with the knowledge and parts inventory to remedy the problem?

Check the bolt rails in the receiver to see if they are worn. They are aluminum and have a steel bolt running on them. If they are chewed up the bolt runs lower in the magazine and when it hits the case it causes the cartridge to pivot and run it into the feed ramp.

They need lots of lube on the rails and bolt to keep working. I don't know of a fix for it now.

Parts for that gun are hard to find, forget about finding any bolt parts. numrich arms used to have a few parts. I hunted with one for years before it seized up. the bolt was wore out and wouldn't lock up. I tried for a long time to find a bolt for it, I even know the gunsmith at the Remington plant here. he told me if I found one it would probably be wore out too. If I still had it I would send you the magazine out of it. If your bolt is fine and it's just a mag problem I would fix it. I got rid of mine when I seen no parts were around to fix it with. I did find one gun that had a good bolt but he wanted as much for it as a new gun would cost.  Mine had some sentimental value but not that much. also do not shoot 180 grain bullets out of it.

The bolt rail was fine and ran smoothly. I ordered a new magazine for it and it would not even get past the first seating lug. I researched a little more and found out that Remington has several different sizes of bolt catches and I would have had to try different sizes until I found the one that allowed the magazine to lock in without interfering with the bolt.What a piece of $#***.

i gave the gun back to my buddy and told him the bad news. The next day he went to a gun store and got $200 for it towards a Savage rifle.

23 minutes ago, zoomy said:

The bolt rail was fine and ran smoothly. I ordered a new magazine for it and it would not even get past the first seating lug. I researched a little more and found out that Remington has several different sizes of bolt catches and I would have had to try different sizes until I found the one that allowed the magazine to lock in without interfering with the bolt.What a piece of $#***.

i gave the gun back to my buddy and told him the bad news. The next day he went to a gun store and got $200 for it towards a Savage rifle.

40 years ago, back when those were popular, the week before deer season my repair rack would fill up with them and Winchester 100's.

If anyone ever gave me either one of those rifles I'd probably beat them to death with it, and then use it to stake up tomatoes or prop open a garage door or something.

• Haha 1