Sign in to follow this  
towtruck

It has arrived

My new 12" Stargazer cast iron pan made it today. I ordered it back a while ago and this one was made on the last day of the first production run from Oct into Dec. They now date code the pans on the handle which is a nice touch. I ordered this one bare and I am going to follow the instructions and do a two coat seasoning. My smaller pan I coated with 7 coats and it was too much as the coating chips off. I'm hoping to make this one work well with just two coats.

They come coated in mineral oil that the instructions say to wash off in soap and water then dry it in the oven before seasoning. I don't want any rust to form so I clean it off with alcohol instead. I clean it until no more gray comes off and all the oil and dirt are gone. Warm the pan up and coat with oil then wipe it off and into the oven it goes to smoke it off. 

The wife is going to kill me because I'm smoking up the house seasoning it inside the kitchen.....yikes!. 

I hope this pan proves as handy as the last one. We are doing 90% of our cooking with cast iron now. I'm using virgin flax seed oil again as a seasoning.

NjrXB5I.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet!

I was looking at those not long ago.  I'd really like to have one.  Just can't right now.  

Yeah, my wife b*****s every time I season a skillet in the house too.  :laugh:

In just two days the pan has made fried and scrambled eggs, hash browns, taco meat, browned tortillas,  and something else the wife made that I did not get to eat but I did get to clean the pan afterwards. 

A touch of oil or butter and this thing is great...eggs slide around and nothing sticks. I really like the size of this pan. 

6 cooks and it's looking like this.....

xBjAAp8.jpg

Posted (edited)

the word is season.... this means to start a pan out and let each coat "cure". before you try to reseason it without cooking in it. The key to getting it like grandmas is using it and renewing the seasoning. Acidic food will corrode seasoning. 

Edited by gshayd

Nice.  We have a couple of cast iron pans that we use to use a lot but haven't used them in many years.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:17 PM, gshayd said:

the word is season.... this means to start a pan out and let each coat "cure". before you try to reseason it without cooking in it. The key to getting it like grandmas is using it and renewing the seasoning. Acidic food will corrode seasoning. 

On 3/23/2019 at 7:49 PM, towtruck said:

In just two days the pan has made fried and scrambled eggs, hash browns, taco meat, browned tortillas,  and something else the wife made that I did not get to eat but I did get to clean the pan afterwards. 

A touch of oil or butter and this thing is great...eggs slide around and nothing sticks. I really like the size of this pan. 

6 cooks and it's looking like this.....

xBjAAp8.jpg

I've never had a cast iron pan, griddle,  etc. that was truly non stick. My griswold griddle dates back to early 1900s. If you guys could provide your seasoning methods I'd like to try to remedy that. Unless I use too much oil, corn tortillas always leave a little behind.

On 3/27/2019 at 2:12 AM, tommag said:

I've never had a cast iron pan, griddle,  etc. that was truly non stick. My griswold griddle dates back to early 1900s. If you guys could provide your seasoning methods I'd like to try to remedy that. Unless I use too much oil, corn tortillas always leave a little behind.

I use flax seed oil. This pan got a thin coat applied  to a warn pan then wiped off and put into a 475* oven for an hour. Once cooled down a bit it got a second coat and wiped off again and placed back into a 475* oven (upside down each time) for an hour. I use butter or a touch of veggie oil in the pan to cook with. 

Thank you, I'll try that.

Wife has my great grandmother’s cast pans and a Dutch oven that makes a mean pot roast. Wife says she wants to be buried with the Dutch oven.

Ed

With all the new non stick coatings, cast iron is going the way of the dinosaur.  Most over protective moms wouldnt dare cook on something that wasnt scrubbed with soap and water and run thru the dishwasher which ruins the seasoning.  All you need to do if theres a mess in the bottom is put some water in the pan and boil it for a bit until the stuck on food loosens up.  Wipe it dry and its ready to go.  No soap involved.  It definitely takes a while to build up a good "non stick" coating in cast iron and one soap ans water wash to kill it.

I havent used cast iron in a long time.  The new ceramics are great non stick and dont require any special care to maintain the surface.  In fact, I think I will cook up some steak and eggs for breakfast!  See ya!

I forgot about this thread. I use cast iron almost exclusively these days. My wife doesn't like it as much, as it takes a bit of getting used to, and some practice in cleaning it without damaging the seasoning. I scour mine with kosher salt, that gets food particles without damaging the seasoning. Every time before putting them away, I dribble a little oil in them, get them hot until the oil starts to smoke, then wipe them out again, taking them off the heat. The oil polymerizes, and it's got another layer of seasoning.