Sign in to follow this  
Snake46

Black Bean Episode

On this day in 1843, seventeen Texans were executed at Salado, Tamaulipas, Mexico. As members of the defeated Mier expedition were being marched from Mier to Mexico City, they attempted a mass escape on February 11. Some 176 were recaptured, and Mexican dictator Santa Anna ordered that one in ten of the prisoners be shot. The victims were chosen by a lottery in which each man drew a bean from an earthen jar containing 176 beans, seventeen of which were black. This event has come to be known as the Black Bean Episode. The bodies were returned to Texas and are buried on Monument Hill at La Grange, Fayette County.

TSHS

On a side note, for those of you who have seen "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas", La Grange was the location of the actual establishment, and periodically when I was at A&M a student might call down the hall that he was headed that way if anyone wanted to go..

As pure speculation, reckon the Black Bean Episode influenced why Texas chili has no beans?

interesting!  

5 hours ago, Snake46 said:

As pure speculation, reckon the Black Bean Episode influenced why Texas chili has no beans?

As good and honorable a reason as any.

Posted (edited)

Except some of like beans in our chili. You Texas Red eaters may go to hell, as for me I will eat beans in my chili.

Edited by gshayd

Which brings up another subject , one of the most inaccurately used words ever is decimate .The news often says a town was decimated or an army was decimated with out realizing the decimal system is ×10 /÷ 10 . When Rome lost a major battle milliary commanders were sometimes decimated ( 1 out of every 10 executed) it gave the other 90% incentive to try harder .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk