meh77gmc

Wish I could quit throwing flyers (PIC heavy)

I have been searching and testing different ammo selections to see what this new barrel on my 10/22 likes.  I found two that it runs very well.  I just WISH I COULD QUIT THROWING FLYERS!

These two that work best so far are the CCI Standard Velocity, and the dayum expensive Lapua Center X ammo.

All shots were from 50 yards off a bipod and a scope that is still too high.

JWSgZ4P.jpg

Lapua ammo...

PBfLGcX.jpg

mJk88uR.jpg

F9rsK56.jpg

TLAYHER.jpg

Sorry for the size of the pics.  I don't know how to shrink them to be easier to view.  I'm really happy with the performance, especially if I can learn to eliminate the fliers.  I do have some low scope rings coming, that should make my cheek weld better.  And next Friday (when I get my 76-hour paycheck) I am ordering a new Vortex glass.  Yay!

Mike.

You're complaining about those groups why?

:laugh:

5 minutes ago, newbe said:

You're complaining about those groups why?

:laugh:

LOL, no kidding.  

I get the same flyers though. 22s are notorious for flyers.  A lot of times it’s the ammo, and just can’t be helped.  You have beautiful group going, and you’re thinking to yourself “I’m going to show off this group on The Armory”, then BAM, a frikkin flyer.  

However, when shooting anything, if I pull one (which is a lot) know it before the bullet ever hits the paper.  And yes, it’s frustrating as hell.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Srgt. Hulka said:

LOL, no kidding.  

You have beautiful group going, and you’re thinking to yourself “I’m going to show off this group on The Armory”, then BAM, a frikkin flyer.  

However, when shooting anything, if I pull one (which is a lot) know it before the bullet ever hits the paper.  And yes, it’s frustrating as hell.   

You described me to a "T".

Edited by meh77gmc

Being as consistent as possible about all human aspects involved is pretty imperative. It's a lot like shooting airguns, in that your hold needs to be what the gun wants, and it needs to be consistent. Getting the lower rings will definitely help with achieving greater consistency.

The goal is to have it all down to where the ammo variances are the biggest factor, and that's not as hard to do with .22LR ammo as you might think. Guys that are serious about the absolute best groups to the point of obsession find not only the type of ammo their gun likes, but go as far as sampling lot numbers within that type, and when they find what is the best of the best for their gun they buy several cases of it. Personally, I'm not that intense.

To figure out why the flyers, you really do need to employ a chronograph. ES & SD numbers explain a lot.

Another thing that you might want to check out is "Pistol Match" ammo. I've been seeing some really promising data on it, and I plan to test some myself soon.

Are you blaming yourself or the ammo for the flyers?

Myself.  

Looks like good shooting to me.  Myself, I get a lot of flyers and like sarge, I know as soon as I pull the trigger.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Longhair said:

Being as consistent as possible about all human aspects involved is pretty imperative. It's a lot like shooting airguns, in that your hold needs to be what the gun wants, and it needs to be consistent. Getting the lower rings will definitely help with achieving greater consistency.

The goal is to have it all down to where the ammo variances are the biggest factor, and that's not as hard to do with .22LR ammo as you might think. Guys that are serious about the absolute best groups to the point of obsession find not only the type of ammo their gun likes, but go as far as sampling lot numbers within that type, and when they find what is the best of the best for their gun they buy several cases of it. Personally, I'm not that intense.

To figure out why the flyers, you really do need to employ a chronograph. ES & SD numbers explain a lot.

Another thing that you might want to check out is "Pistol Match" ammo. I've been seeing some really promising data on it, and I plan to test some myself soon.

What Longhair said is correct.  I think I tried about 30 different types of ammo before I found one my rifle likes, then I bought five bricks of it.  (That’s all they had)

Also, I noticed you didn’t say anything about a rear bag.  You may try that to get more consistency, although, those groups are pretty frikkin nice.  If you need a rear bag, this guy started making these in his house not long ago and I think his business has exploded.  I have one of his bag, and it’s a really good bag.  

https://precisionundergroundriflegear.com/products/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meh77gmc said:

Myself.  

Those groups are really good.  

I I guess what I'm getting at, is the fact that it may NOT be you causing the flyers.

Wile I wouldn't say start by blaming the ammo from the get go, realize that most factory made ammo is not capable of punching one hole groups.  Those groups you posted are very good.

Of course you want to continue to refine and practice your skills, but sometimes the ammo is the limiting factor.

If you can call your shots and know when you pulled one, that's one thing.  If everything felt great when the trigger was pressed, then just realize you might be seeing the limits of the ammo or range conditions.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Oh I understand.  I called two of the flyers as obviously my fault yesterday.  Whether it's me OR the ammo, it's just a buzzkill when 4 are in a nice hole and there is an oddball rebellious hole laughing off to the side.  :snicker:

Edited by meh77gmc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, meh77gmc said:

Oh I understand.  I called two of the flyers as obviously my fault yesterday.  Whether it's me OR the ammo, it's just a buzzkill when 4 are in a nice hole and there is an oddball rebellious hole laughing off to the side.  :snicker:

The way to fix that flyer is to slide the dime over it....poof it's gone!   :segrin:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, towtruck said:

The way to fix that flyer is to slide the dime over it....poof it's gone!   :segrin:

You're giving away secrets!  :laugh:

Posted (edited)

Unless you are shooting in a Benchrest Competition pat your self on the back and thank your rifle. Proceed to the fridge and procure a cold beverage and sit down and enjoy it. 

Edited by gshayd