MadeInUSA

Help Finding a Decent Hunting Rifle

My old boss had his cabin in northern WI broken into and his 308 rifle was taken. No worries though, cops caught the guy and got all of his guns back.

Long story short, hes looking for a 308 bolt gun. The only must have is a 22 inch or shorter barrel and walnut stock.

The only thing I can find at a reasonable price is the Savage 10/100 XP Trophy for around $550-600 with a Nikon optic.

I'm trying to get him to go with a synthetic stock and better glass....

Good, wood and reasonably priced, you may pick 2 and only 2 of the 3.

But the Mossberg Patriot comes real close.

imageContent.do?contentKey=c2917933-3def

Comes with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40

Remington 783 $400

imageContent.do?contentKey=b888051e-9a02

How about the Ruger Scout Rifle?

ruger_gunsite_scout_lede.jpg

Or.....if something more "traditional" is desired, how about a Ruger Hawkeye Compact?

top.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gunbroker- look up the Winchester 88 in 308.

6 hours ago, MadeInUSA said:

My old boss had his cabin in northern WI broken into and his 308 rifle was taken. No worries though, cops caught the guy and got all of his guns back.

Long story short, hes looking for a 308 bolt gun. The only must have is a 22 inch or shorter barrel and walnut stock.

The only thing I can find at a reasonable price is the Savage 10/100 XP Trophy for around $550-600 with a Nikon optic.

Have him pay you to make a custom wood stock!

:segrin:

6 hours ago, MadeInUSA said:

What is his limit financially?

Remmy 700 might fit the bill, though personally I'm more of a savage fan.

5 hours ago, newbe said:

What is his limit financially?

Remmy 700 might fit the bill, though personally I'm more of a savage fan.

Theres no hard limit, insurance will reimburse him. I'm trying to keep it under $700-800 total.

Well if he can compromise on the wood stock I’d go with the TC Compass

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/3618/redirect

And top it with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/vortex-diamondback-tactical-ffp?cat=21&_iv_cat=21

That’s roughly $700 so with a set of $50 rings he still has a little left over for a sling or a couple of boxes of ammo.

The problem is that Savage will do more than fine for a good hunting rifle that will last lifetimes.  It'll reach out there and get the job done and its a tough sell to try to talk a man into a $2,000 sniper rifle right after he had his last one stolen. 

A deer camp in Ohio years ago, I've hunted with a damn shotgun many times and a muzzle loader with ball makes a shotgun look bad. 

Personally I like my Savage just fine, nice triggers, and I'm a fan of Nikon optics they know how to grind glass.  The combination for take it out twice a year, once to sight it in, and once to shoot Bambi, is just perfect. 

Tj

• Like 1

I have a mossberg patriot in 25-06 with the wood stock and really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/28/2019 at 8:43 PM, Longhair said:

Or.....if something more "traditional" is desired, how about a Ruger Hawkeye Compact?

top.jpg

Better yet get one of these in 7mm-08 like I have with a wood stock. my barreled Action is headed to the gunsmith for a muzzle brake to make it even more gentrified

• Like 1

I opted for the 7mm-08 in a Remington 700 youth model.  I wanted a short barreled short action rifle. Immediately scrapped the factory stock for an HS Precision aluminum chassis synthetic stock, topped it with a 3x10x44 2nd focal plane Vortex PST and it is a sweet, accurate shooter that handles beautifully.  Here in PA or out west with my son in Wyoming, it does the job I had hoped for.

fbc169998ca6f515d596fd95f304360f.jpg

bc8707dfc2349bd9a67d33d22a14c00f.jpg

22abef11fb0526a6012ef01e5cf0cc52.jpg

bce98ace34702107d4338e4a8fce19c9.jpg

• Like 2

Your bolt handle needs to be bigger.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It actually make cycling the bolt surprising smooth and easy to manipulate.  I have one on my .223 24” 700 Varmint rifle too. A neat aftermarket piece of kit that’s not a bank breaker and can be removed without affecting the original parts.  I’m a sucker for these kind of things...I think Kenetic Research or something like that makes them.  I have the original packaging somewhere... 

Edited by ewallover
Lousy speller
  • Like 1