Sign in to follow this  
meh77gmc

Never handloaded and have a question

I am curious if it is possible to pull down factory ammo (ammo in question is Fed GMM 77grain in .223) and re-seat the bullets to change the distance to the lands in an AR that I will be hand feeding (not from a magazine).  Or will the factory crimp give me problems?  I don't have reloading equipment, but I have a friend that has it all.  Are there problems or considerations I haven't thought of in this regard?  This possible project will be used in a BHW 24" 1-in-8" tube.

Thanks for allowing a noob question.

Mike

It has been a while since I reloaded. I would rather start with fresh components than jacking around with factory loaded ammo.

You could try a vice mounted puller to pull it out some, higher than needed, then reset to length.  Its whether it buys you anything I doubt, not whether it can be done.  That type thing more often than not adds more variance than it fixes. 

Something to think about. If you pull the bullets out and re-seat them, you run the chance of changing the neck tension on the bullet. This possible change in neck tension might counteract  any benefit you get from seating the bullets with a shorter jump to the lands.

Ok.  Scratch that experiment