towtruck

Smoking ribs today

Since I built my smoker I have only done one cook with ribs......and I built the dang thing just for ribs!  I got busy smoking other meats with it and now it's time to do up a couple racks and get this smoker dialed in for them. The first cook did not go as planned as I was just learning the smoker and had a brisket it there too. I'm going back to using all my tried and true methods so I can evaluate the smoke better. Like reloading, only change one thing at a time.....The smoker is the new element so everything else stays the same. I'll take some pictures as I go today.

• Like 1

Let’s see...30 hours of driving...130 gallons of gas...miss a couple days of work.....

Save some one for me, I’ll be right there.  :laugh:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Srgt. Hulka said:

Let’s see...30 hours of driving...130 gallons of gas...miss a couple days of work.....

Save some one for me, I’ll be right there.  :laugh:

......I'll put them in the warmer for you....:segrin:

• Haha 1

Fire is built and the ribs are resting on the counter waiting on smoker temps to come up. 

BBJTuNV.jpgYh9eKeg.jpg

Nice setup

Two racks, split in half....on the smoker now......I could have laid them flat as the grates will hold three racks flat...I built this to hold four racks per side for a total of eight racks so I want to cook them on edge for the practice with air flow. 

SZR5KQm.jpg

3 hours on the smoke at 245*, 1 hour wrapped in foil with apple juice and butter at 245*, then off the smoker and onto the grill to firm them up and get a little bark on them. I rotated them from over the coals to the cold side to smoke a little and then back over the coals as I set the bbq sauce on them. Perfection!!!!

NMo9m8y.jpgGZbsNJ1.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, towtruck said:

3 hours on the smoke at 245*, 1 hour wrapped in foil with apple juice and butter at 245*, then off the smoker and onto the grill to firm them up and get a little bark on them. I rotated them from over the coals to the cold side to smoke a little and then back over the coals as I set the bbq sauce on them. Perfection!!!!

NMo9m8y.jpgGZbsNJ1.jpg

Dang it.  I’m not even to Amarillo yet.  

Must    Drive    Faster.   

Those really look look good Towtruck.  You cook your ribs like I cook mine...with the bbq sauce on them.  

Edited by Srgt. Hulka
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Srgt. Hulka said:

Dang it.  I’m not even to Amarillo yet.  

Must    Drive    Faster.   

Those really look look good Towtruck.  You cook your ribs like I cook mine...with the bbq sauce on them.  

Yup, it's the whole bean no bean argument with sauce or no sauce......I'm a sauce guy and then you break it down to a sugar base or a vinegar base and I'm in the sugar camp. 

Perfect bite and a clean bone on these...you can't get any better....and smoked to the bone!

f8YAg2M.jpg

• Like 1

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rampy said:

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You find any good ribs on your latest trip?

1 minute ago, towtruck said:

You find any good ribs on your latest trip?

Yes, problem is my gallbladder is going south and I can't eat much of anything with high or even a medium fat content, low fat is good....we had ribs a couple places that were quite tasty, but I could only do a couple of em with all the sauce, seems that also is not liked by the gallbladder.....Can't even do peanut butter.....and i'm on a low carb diet & trying to stick to it while on the road....very hard....had bacon wrapped shrimp that had jalapenos wrapped around the shrimp in Galveston and could only eat 3 before calling it quits.......and then the gallbladder dumps into the stomach and I spend 10-20 painful min  in the bathroom.........

32 minutes ago, towtruck said:

Yup, it's the whole bean no bean argument with sauce or no sauce......I'm a sauce guy and then you break it down to a sugar base or a vinegar base and I'm in the sugar camp. 

Perfect bite and a clean bone on these...you can't get any better....and smoked to the bone!

f8YAg2M.jpg

Dang-it Towtruck.  You’re killing me.  

Chili?  I can go bean or no bean.  It don’t make a shat to me.  

BBQ on the other hand, better have BBQ sauce cooked on it while it’s cooking.  

And yes, sugar based.  I like my BBQ sauce caramalized on the meat...just like you have there.  That black on those ribs is not burnt, it’s perfect BBQ sauce cooked on the ribs.  

Yummy!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm from the no sauce needed and if the meat falls off the bone it's over cooked BUT my wife wants fall off the bone and cooked with sauce so I do both . Neither way is wrong ,both are great .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Looks like white bone ribs to me. I cook mine without sauce but with dry rub. Sauce on the side. I have had a Cook Shack smoker for over 30 years. You have a very good grill/smoker setup.

Ed